PDA

View Full Version : Ammeter Hookup?

tj309
04-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a Gaffrig ammeter with hookup instructions that in no way match my Service Manual wiring diagram. The Gaffrig instructions say to hook up the neg to the B+ of the alternator. What/where is that? The Gaffrig instructions say to hook up the pos to the starter (which in turn is connected to the pos battery terminal). Where and what color on the starter?

Thanks, TJ

Rickracer
04-21-2006, 05:54 AM
....an ammeter is a bad idea, unless it's inductive. All the current your system produces has to flow through the meter to be accurate. I've repaired the results of ammeter failures in a few Dodge/Plymouth/Chryslers over the years, and it was always at least a wiring meltdown, if not a fire. I don't know of any inductive setups designed to be used for monitoring, only for testing. A much better solution is a simple voltmeter. Simple, anything above battery voltage is a charging system, anything less is discharging. Far less trouble, and less potential for a problem. ;) :cool:

Euroski
04-21-2006, 06:51 PM
You are better off with a voltmeter because it's better to monitor voltage over amps.

tj309
04-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Well I have the gauge and have already cut the hole in the dash so it's going in. It has to be an inductance type because of the size of the wires (thin). By the way - the motor is a ProMax 300.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.....TJ

Riverman
04-22-2006, 12:30 AM
A voltmeter will fit in the same hole. Turf the ammeter and buy a voltmeter. Ammeters are not used any more.

Rickracer
04-22-2006, 06:41 AM
A voltmeter will fit in the same hole. Turf the ammeter and buy a voltmeter. Ammeters are not used any more.
An ammeter is a liability, not an asset. They alway fail, sooner or later, and when they do, it can be nasty. If they just open up, it's no big deal, you just loose your charging system. If they short out, you could be looking at a fire. If your ammeter is new, send it back and swap it for a voltmeter. If it's not new, put it in the circular file, and get a voltmeter. The fanciest one available is maybe $40, and you should be able to get one for less than half that. ;)