PDA

View Full Version : what is pad do on boat and motor set to it

gatorer15
04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
what is pad do on boat and motor set to it, switching prop type, 4 blade ss to 3 blade alum,dose the set change any it's a 17 ft ranger with jackplate 150 xp 4 blade 25 ss & 3 blade 21 alum I just put motor back on jackplate had blow out problem's with 19 pitch alum prop, the lowerunit was checked for bad shifter dog or striped on crank,both not found,could it be as simple if motor not set right on boat? i don't have shot of back of boat either

Lockjaw
04-20-2006, 08:05 AM
My brother in law has a ranger like that, with a fast strike 150 mounted to the boat with no jack, and he runs a 24p raker prop. It comes out of the hole nicely, and probably runs upper 50's or so.

What kind of 4 blade is it? If its a shooter, those are not the ideal prop if you ask me. You need a raker or a renegade, probably in the 22 to 24 pitch range.

If you have a jack, when you set the engine back, you need to raise it slightly to compensate. Without a water pressure guage, I would not jack it to high. Best place to start is with the prop shaft 3.5 inches below the bottom of the boat (pad) and go from there.

I had a 25 pitch shooter on my boat when I bought it, and swapping to a 24p raker made a big difference. I would suggest a 22p for your application. Mine doesn't turn the 24p to tight, and I have a 175.

gatorer15
04-20-2006, 09:14 AM
the jack plate was on it the prop was spun the prop shop checked the pitch reshaped the tip's and added cup to and reblanced it, the prop guy said check shifter dog, and top of drive shaft where it fit's crank they ware out or strip I have a spare motor to 80 hp merk off my old boat it ran but evenrude had new topend of motor on it 4500 worth and jackplate repair's was 7500 on change of ownership/will paper's the guy named me as who was to get it after his death. all i know is what ranger contact told me this person tested stuff for evenrude(e-tec) so i will not find part's if it come's apart.I try not to over rev it or overload it,thank's for information,my uncle gave me boat book's off ww2 2 stroke diesel's i was working on truck's(e-tec) isn't that far off ONLY GOD can do that.