PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Help for Speed - Jacking vs. Trimming

nkuehn
04-17-2001, 09:36 PM
Hi Guys! New to the list and the world of Scream and Fly!

I have a 21' Skater with 300 Pro Max Motor. I have only owned I/O's until recently.

Can someone help me out with how to adjust the jack plate and the trim for max performance with this type of boat? I'm intersted in your all's suggestion for both relatively smooth and rough water condistions. Thanks In Advance!

Delta
04-17-2001, 10:51 PM
Hey Nic,welcome aboard!
Just in case you are *really* new,I'd like you to know that the format for this Board has recently changed,and it will take awhile for everyone to 'settle in' to a particular category/list.Don't despair if you don't get responses right away,and I would suggest you make another post in a day or two,if you don't get much feedback.I know there are some Skater owners out there,and they'll hook ya up right.
Ya might want to retitle the subject line,to look like mine!
Good luck,Delta

George
04-18-2001, 01:20 AM
Buy a power lift it will save you a lot of time and is the only way to fine tune to changing conditions. Loads, waves, water temp/hp, differant props , hole shot and top speed. Just be shure to put a low water pickup on to keep the water for cooling comeing in! Or else...

MirageMark
04-18-2001, 08:35 PM
Well Nic, I've got a mirage, so I'm not the most experienced person about your particular type of hull. However, there are alot of Skaters on the river that I run, and I had a good friend that had a 24ft. Skater with twin 2.5 260's. Here is what I know and maybe it will help you out: Firt of all, your hull is an air-entrapment type hull. Meaning air is trapped under the hull and provides natural lift. Therefore, in general, skaters won't need much trim. My buddies' boat ran with very slight positive trim. Next, you probably won't need to jack your motor up very much because of the construction of your boat. Many of the Skaters running on my river don't even have jackplates. For top speeds, run a cleaver style prop which will give your boat some lift in the stern, and the air-entrapment will take care of the bow....Good Luck.....Mark