PDA

View Full Version : Amplifiers and charging systems

t town
04-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a 1993 Mariner Mag III 150 on my boat. I am shopping for a new audio system to put in it. How much amplifier can I install with out harming my charging system. How much amplifier will my charging system support? I am going to install a seperate deep cycle battery to run these components when sitting on the sand bar and such.

t town
04-18-2006, 10:22 PM
This one must be too tough for you guys.

GP-1
04-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Look at the current draw on the amplifier you're considering and do the math....

WATERWINGS
04-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I had two amps in my Vector, (over 1000 watts), (one battery), and as long as I charged the batt every night, it was ok. (unless I tried to play it all day at WFO)

In my Quartershot, I only have one 720 watt amp, and one bazzoka tube, (it has a small amp), I notice after about 2 CD's, the starter is slow.

WASSITALLMEAN??

(edit) found out the starter was slow cause it needed rebuilding, now for the re-test !

sosmerc
04-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Your particular engine should have the 40 AMP charging system. Merc recommends "starting" batteries for their engines, but that's probably not the best choice for your stereo. So, you may want to consider dual batteries....but do not connect them together, since they will most likely be different technologies. The stereo needs a deep cycle with a good amp-hr rating. I've had good luck with the Exide Orbital AGM deep cycle...it will run my 800 Watt stereo for just over an hour and a half at a fairly high volume setting. Use a low amp battery maintainer like a Guest Battery Pal to charge it back up. Run your engine on a good starting battery like the 1000 MCA group 24 starting battery that West Marine carries. But do not charge the AGM battery with your engine.....the ADI ignition system/charging system does not do well with Gel Batteries or AGM batteries......you will most likely burn up your regulators, stator and battery. Been there, done that.

t town
04-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't quite sure how many amps my charging system had. I plan on adding an extra battery to run the sound system when beached. I am going to add a regular deep cycle battery with a battery switch so I can select the battery I want to use. Will a standard type deep cycle battery be compatable with my charging system?

bigbore
05-17-2006, 01:25 AM
i said this before and i'll say it again,pergo,pergo,pergo,the second battery is a good idea,(make that one a deep cycle optima)you should be safe with about 700 watts R.M.S.maximum thats runing your sub or subs and just use deck power for your mids and highs.you can isolate the stereo batery with a pergo switch when your sitting,so draining that one is no big deal.
if you wanna just run one battery for your entire rig (including motor and guages)get a jump box (thats probably what im gonna do to save weight)
the nice thing about 2 batteries that you should be able to get away with is (with a pergo switch)you can select both batteries (when running)and charge your second battery from the charging system on you motor.:cool:

t town
05-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks big bore thats exactly what I did. The seccond battery is an optima deep cycle and I am using that pergo battery switch. Pretty much the same set up I have in my baja outlaw. I just didn't know how much the little outboard charging system could handle

bigbore
05-19-2006, 03:14 AM
the thing is(when your using 2)your rig battery will always stay charged,so the only thing you need to keep in mind is don't leave the pergo on both when your sitting n listening to the stereo.it should then,start(on both)n run out fine charging even the stereo battery (even minimally will be better than none at all)there will be times when you need to battery charge the optima(depending on how far its drained)but the boat battery should always remain the same(if you use the pergo switch properly).:cool:

Riverman
05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I did the swich thing on my cruiser for years. All you have to do is forget once and you're walking home. Instead use a battery combiner like the one pictured. When installed it automatically connects your deep cycle for charging when charging voltage hits 13.5. When you shut off the engine it automatically disconnects the charging system (and the starting battery) from the stereo battery.

http://www.bluesea.com/product.asp?Product_id=53476

bigbore
05-19-2006, 06:08 PM
thats not a bad idea actually,theres a lot of stuff out there that works pretty well,those onboard charging boxes are nice to (thats kinda what your talking about)but,i know that overtons has got those trickle chargers that charge to the t of what the battery needs.