PDA

View Full Version : Best polish for a Black boat?

Liquid Force
04-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey

I have a 3 month old black 21ft sonic, now as you all know black is a PITA to keep clean and looking good, whats the best polish you have come across to keep black looking wet and shiny? We don't have a huge range of products here in NZ, so will have to order something from the US, but need suggestions. Boat is kept inside so doesn't oxisdised just gets dirty after use...

James

dma251
04-05-2006, 02:45 AM
I have had AMAZING results with 3M Machine Glaze for Dark colors. It's a little pricy, but I've never seen anything make black look inkier then this stuff.

I usually use 3M Perfect-it 3 polishing compound on a polishing foam pad (with a rotary buffer) to make the surface fairly clear, then a light going over with the 3M machine glaze, followed by a good old wax - it's look brand new.

If you think this is too much work, you shouldn't have bought a black boat. There are no easy answers.

QUICKSILVER
04-05-2006, 09:54 PM
The boat would have to be clean first, but to just make it look nice and shiny. I have used Pledge furniture polish many times. It doesn't get chalky like wax, and you can do a 20' boat in less than 15 minutes. Keep some in the boat to touch up while at the lake. Even a badly oxidized boat will look good for awhile. It doesn't last long, but it doesn't take long to do again.

Liquid Force
04-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys, Im not afraid of putting a few hours into it on a sunday afternoon, will give the 3m stuff a whirl see how we get on.

James

The Big Al
04-05-2006, 11:43 PM
I have had AMAZING results with 3M Machine Glaze for Dark colors. It's a little pricy, but I've never seen anything make black look inkier then this stuff.

I usually use 3M Perfect-it 3 polishing compound on a polishing foam pad (with a rotary buffer) to make the surface fairly clear, then a light going over with the 3M machine glaze, followed by a good old wax - it's look brand new.

If you think this is too much work, you shouldn't have bought a black boat. There are no easy answers.

Agree 10,000% Perfect-it 3, for dark colors is great!

stvhelm
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I had the same problem with the windshield area on my euro. it was black gel coat and fades easily. the easiest thing I found to keep it black is the 'Turtlewax Express Shine" in the spray bottle. Everything else seemed to make it hazy. This stuff is great. I only waxed the boat once every spring. and then used that stuff
One thing for sure, whatever you use do it in the shade when its cool

pyro
04-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Use Meguiar's "Swirl Remover" on a rotary buffer first, it's a very fine liquid compound, it's a stronger cut than Machine Glaze. It helps to spray a little water on the surface to refresh it if it starts to thicken and dry on the buffer. Switch to a clean buff wheel THEN do the Machine Glaze. These two steps will usually buff out the millions of fine scratches that make an otherwise shiny surface look dull. A little wax afterward will help prevent fin scratches and helps keep water spots from sticking.

Pledge is silicone grease, plain and simple. It doesn't improve the surface, it just wets it to make it "look" more shiny.

Many people here swear by Zaino products. they are supposedly a completely different approach, a long-lasting alternative to waxes, a true top coating that always shines and resists damage. Quite expensive, but nobody has yet to say anything bad about it. I'm thinking of getting some myself...

-Chad

RBT
04-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Meguires #3 macine glaze, foam pad
The swirl removers works well also
I use there Yellow wax ( think it is #56 ) to seal it.

RT

1BadAction
04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Zaino is THE protectant... but its still not a cure for a poor surface finish.

stvhelm
04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
The guy has a brand new boat.. he just wants to keep it looking good not restore it:confused:

dma251
04-07-2006, 12:35 AM
If it's a brand new boat, he will still be shocked when he puts 3M Machine Glaze for Dark colors on it. It's amazing stuff. You have to wax over it, though.

pyro
04-07-2006, 05:52 AM
I've seen plenty of new boats on the show floor, most as a matter of fact, that could have used a thorough rotary machine glaze polishing to get the compound swirl buffed out. Swirl remover and machine glaze are very, very, FINE cut liquids, the two in succession will leave a mirror-perfect surface on a new boat that you "thought" was shiny before...

QUICKSILVER
04-07-2006, 06:36 AM
If I bought a new boat, the dealer would be buffing the thing out, if that's what it needed. The reason for buying new, is so you don't spend all your time working on it. If you aren't familer with using a rotary buffer, you can do more damage than good also. This guy is just trying to maintain the new look, without spending all his time, and effort on it.

Liquid Force
04-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the responses, I haven't even had the boat in the water and it already look filthy...

So the process/products to use are..

3M Machine Glaze for Dark colors
3M Perfect-it 3

And then a good wax on top? (anything good by 3M it's a common product in NZ)

Might just buy the lot and send it to the detailers as I haven't had a lot of experince with a mechanical polisher, and I don't want to burn the gel.

James

dma251
04-08-2006, 01:42 AM
You use the Perfect-it 3 first, if the boat is new, it will only take a very light pressure with a foam polishing pad on the buffer to make it look good.

Then you use the Machine Glaze with a FRESH foam fine polishing pad. It is a VERY light pressure application.

Then the wax - whatever kind you choose. Put it on by hand. I'd go with some of the high-tech 3M stuff, it will last a while.

Because the boat is new, this isn't gonna be a really time consuming deal. The Glaze is so fine in it's polishing properties that it is really more of a "swirl mark filler" It really is an amazing product. 3M also makes a version called Hand Glaze for dark colors, that is obviously designed to be applied by hand, but I have no experience with it. A rotary buffer makes things so much easier to do (if you have experience with one)

Liquid Force
04-09-2006, 11:22 PM
thanks will give it a go and see who we get on. James

dreamer1q
08-08-2006, 08:41 AM
I have to recommend the Zaino. I have run a car club and still do for going on 4 years now. I have never seen a product work like Zaino. The more coats you lay down, the more shine you get. Pricey, but well worth it. If you try it and dont like it, PM me, I will buy it from you for my Camaro and Liberator ;)

laserracer6
05-10-2007, 11:23 PM
hi buddy im a kiwi and a mobile car detailer in hamilton if the paints in good nick try WICKED POLISH great stuff for polishing black
i think harley davidson dealers sell it if not drop us a line and ill get you some is that for your old boat or the new one ??
cheers dave

Rocketman1
06-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Rejex, best by far. Been using it on my Merc 250, Pro XS - very slick, high gloss finish. Recently did the Lexus and Denali with it too. I am sold. http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

mark wing
09-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Hello! First time talker! GREAT SITE! I have a 20 year old black Baja and have used about everything spoken of here. I just tried a new glazed that I thought was awsome! Its in the garage so I may not have this exactly right. I think it was Mequers teck way or ice wax. it go's on clear and stays clear! No DUST ! It apears to last quite a while to. Have it on the cars and it is holding up well. about two months, and is still beading. smells good to! Take care! Mark

formula2516
10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Do not think I am crazy but wash and wax the boat and seal it with RAIN-X!!! Been doing it on my black corvette since 1995. Vette is used daily in Florida and never faded or pealed.

dchance
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
If you guys have not tried BTS (Bow to Stern) give it a go. Do no use pledge or other products of the like. They provide NO uv protection. BTS is a wax/protectant that you spray and wipe every 30-90 days. In between apps you just wipe down with a towel. It will actually pull old wax and dirt out of the gel coat pores and fill and protect them from UV rays. Also works on vinyl and about anything else you can think of. Keeps my 02 looking new. I do represent this company, but only because they have a great product I have used for a while. Check them out at www.btsprotectant.com (http://www.btsprotectant.com)

Derek Chance

Carter Powell
02-28-2009, 06:57 PM
There used to be a product back in the 80s called Liquid Ebony, At that time I had never found anything that worked as good as that stuff. Don't know if it is still around.

Carter Powell

RobF
03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
There used to be a product back in the 80s called Liquid Ebony, At that time I had never found anything that worked as good as that stuff. Don't know if it is still around.

Carter Powell

they have products that blow that away, especially when you consider the ebony was really meant for laquer paint.

how about this one- corn starch in a sock, you would hit the corn starch against the laquer and buff it in- hows that for old school!

Frank Molé
03-04-2009, 10:11 PM
they have products that blow that away, especially when you consider the ebony was really meant for laquer paint.

how about this one- corn starch in a sock, you would hit the corn starch against the laquer and buff it in- hows that for old school!

rob boat came out great:thumbsup: :cheers: thanks for everything :smiletest:

RobF
03-05-2009, 08:23 AM
have fun in florida!

Clyde@Work
03-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Just a suggestion from previous experiance...don't trailer your boat w/cover on. Even if the boat/cover are clean, fine dust and dirt in/on cover and boat will damage the finish over time.

D.B.S
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
SuperGlaze from the WaxShop best stuff I've ever used. Super slick and the best on any color gel. 1-800-323-9192 order a case

ehill
03-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Good info. I am pickin up my new boat Friday and it is dark blue. I will have to remeber these products

RLP
03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I had good luck with RACE GLAZE stuff last a long time and seals also
but ya do have to get the other products off first i used wax and grease remover to do so

stvhelm
03-25-2009, 09:34 PM
SuperGlaze from the WaxShop best stuff I've ever used. Super slick and the best on any color gel. 1-800-323-9192 order a case
you know I used to swear by that stuff years ago when i had my black truck. Its been a while now and I somehow got hooked on turtlewax super gloss, but im gonna go a pick that up again and give it another try. I just remember how effortless it was to rub out and how deep the color enriched.

RobF
03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
most spray on, easy on and easy off products are heavy on the silicone type ingrediants to give the illusion of a deep shine, you would get almost the same effect by rubbing tire dressing on the surface.

D.B.S
03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
The only thing bad about SuperGlaze, is that it's too slick :D:D

Bruster
03-26-2009, 08:11 AM
The 3M machine glaze is the wrong thing to use unless you want to make this a full time job. It'll wash off after a short time. It'll look great when you're done. If you want something that lasts more than a week there's a little more work involved. You need to get the surface clean and shiny with some sort of polish. I like the Meguiars products. and then get several coats of good synthetic wax on the top. Here is a link with lots of "how to" "with what" info.
http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-5-5inch-foam-buffing-pads.html

Thanks for all the responses, I haven't even had the boat in the water and it already look filthy...

So the process/products to use are..

3M Machine Glaze for Dark colors
3M Perfect-it 3

And then a good wax on top? (anything good by 3M it's a common product in NZ)

Might just buy the lot and send it to the detailers as I haven't had a lot of experince with a mechanical polisher, and I don't want to burn the gel.

James

stvhelm
03-26-2009, 08:14 AM
the wax shop stuff you have to apply.
its a caranuba with uv protection and it looks like they came out with
a new improved high definition version of the original stuff

dbs which are you using the original one or this one?
http://www.waxdepot.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/WS11.gif

D.B.S
03-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Thats it, not sure if it's HD or not have to go to the shop and check, don't know how it could be improved :thumbsup: It also does not have any static, so dust does not stick. Hard to find local, easy online.........Braxton

1BadAction
03-26-2009, 08:50 AM
The 3M machine glaze is the wrong thing to use unless you want to make this a full time job. It'll wash off after a short time.
Thats probably why he is asking what wax to use after the machine glaze. :thumbsup:

These new replys are irrelevant anyways, this post was started 3 years ago, and answered shortly after with multiple good ways to do it.