PDA

View Full Version : NAME YOUR LID (Helmet)

H2Onut
03-12-2002, 12:46 PM
What type of hemet do you wear?

Full face, Open, Googles, Visor ?

How does it hold up to water environment ?

Whats the comfort level of your lid ?

pyro
03-12-2002, 12:58 PM
A pair of Oakley e-wire sunglasses do the trick for me. Keeps the bugs out of my eyes.

Say a prayer for me

AnthonySS
03-12-2002, 01:06 PM
BELL Race Star III

Full Face, Large eye port, fits good and snug, SNELL 95

Bright Orange purchased from LifeLine

Balzy
03-12-2002, 02:50 PM
An old Simpson Pug-Nose.

http://forums.screamandfly.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=61783

Like the recent thread says:

Never wear your helmet in a boat without a helmet restraint system

""""""Never wear your helmet in a boat without a helmet restraint system""""""

Techno
03-12-2002, 04:12 PM
SHOEI RF-800
Full face with helmet restraint rings. from Security.
On warm days its hot even though it claims to have venting ports. This is only a problem before your on plane though.
The face shield may fog up but can be clicked open a a bit to still cover and provide air for clearing it. Still only a problem at low speeds. This last was during a very rough day and was getting water in my face so keeping the visor over my glasses was nice.
Claims to have a wide field of vision but since this is the only helmet I've worn I can't say much about it.

Unloaded Racing
03-12-2002, 07:03 PM
Simpson Bandit full face, fits good fairly, lightweight and is as comfortable as I have found.
Tim

Fl Boy in ILL
03-12-2002, 08:34 PM
Shoei 900-RF for me full face, it does fog up a little but I haven't tried anti-fog yet.

Rick

BK
03-13-2002, 10:46 AM
For anti-fog film, check the link below for "Helmet Accessories" at the bottom of the page. THere is a film you can buy called "Fog City" and it is supposed to eliminate condensation. Works for goggles too. Haven't used it but sounds cool.

http://www.ioportracing.com/bieffehelmets.htm

This link also gives some info on F1 racing helmets - Bell and Biffe -- and latest technology in keeping weights down. My first Bell Star helmet cost me $200 back in 1986, so these prices ($300 and up) really seem pretty reasonable.

Stray Kat
03-17-2002, 01:06 PM
Bell Star - Full Face

Snug fit - comfortable

Mark75H
03-17-2002, 10:30 PM
Bell Race Star III M rated.

What is the M rating? Motorcycle. Mine are actually older M-95's but the M-2000 standard is almost the same. The motorcycle use rating includes testing for hot/cold cycles, wet/dry cycles and solvent resistance. The SA (special application) helmets may or may not meet these critical tests, they are not tested or certified to be used around water, which can cause the glue holding the liner to the shell to let the liner slide around inside the shell. Neither are they tested for resisting deterioration of the shell due to exposure to fuels or solvents (paint). Painting a non-M rated helmet may weaken the shell. Spilling a little fuel on your hand and grabbing your helmet may weaken the shell. Wearing a correct fitting M rated helmet is a step up in the boating world.

(Doesn't hurt that the M rated helmets are usually cheaper because the sales volume is much higher vs the other lids)

Hey, BK thanks for the link! I'd been looking for a reasonably priced supplier of helmet accessories! These guys have great prices!

BarryStrawn
03-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Sam - Don't know where you are getting your information but the Snell standards for SA and M helmets are identical when it comes to the heat, cold, wet, and solvent conditioning for testing. Main difference is the SA helmets are more fire resistant and have to meet some additional impact tests. It is entirely possible that the motorcycle helmet manufacturers may make a helmet and lining which will take more abuse and neglect but it has nothing to do with Snell certification.

BK
03-18-2002, 10:17 AM
I also noticed that on the Bell helmet side of that website,

http://www.ioportracing.com/bellhelmets.htm

Many helmets all shown with the side D-rings for restraints already installed. Not sure if the rear D-ring is there, not very practical for recreational motorcycle use. (Head needs to be able to turn fully while driving in traffic)

But probably will become more common as more and more non-motorcycle racers are using helmet restraints these days.

Those prices are really very reasonable, but I dont know anyone who has ordered anything from them before, so I don't have a history on them.

If you do order from them Sam, let us know what kind of experience you have.

Mark75H
03-18-2002, 06:55 PM
I must have been thinking of one of the other standards. SA and M both have the wet/cold/heat tests and the solvent test.

Thanks for setting me straight on that!

Cp
03-18-2002, 07:00 PM
....I wear cheap sunglasses. That's why my motor is rev limited. I don't need to keep up with the Balzy's and Anthony's of the world. (that don't mean I cain't....) Maybe I'm old but.....

Cp

BarryStrawn
03-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Sam - Sorry if my previous post was a bit terse. I get in a hurry sometimes and . . . I just wish there was a standard for boat helmets and some solid research to back it up. My personal opinion is that the SA is the clear choice for a capsule boat since the risks in that environment are similar to a race car. For someone being ejected into the water at speed, who knows? Last time it happened to me (1984) I was wearing a Bell Magnum III - Snell 75.

Barry

Warren Elliott
03-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Arai Signet Full Face very snug fit doesn't move when you turn head.

tabararacing
03-26-2002, 12:49 AM
I have a Shoei and an Arai. Honestly like the Shoei better, also fitted with on board air. I am looking to get into a new onboard air system, the one I have just isn't quite right. Anyone got suggestions?
Brian

Bruce Washburn
03-26-2002, 08:28 PM
I wear a Bell M3 full face. The helmet is super light. I also wear a simpson helmet restraint while racing.

Jeff_G
04-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Now use a HJ. Lighter than my Bell, fits better. Full face. To me the most important aspects are weight and fit. If it don't fit right it is doing more harm than good.

Boaterbum
05-06-2002, 12:29 AM
Oakley shades for most uses!!! Went last yearin the cold, broke out one of my AGV X-Vents (Rossi) supposed to be the best that AGV makes, plus the paint jobs are pretty cool!
I odn't get my speeds up that high yet, NEED MORE POWER!
When i do though, I will surely strap on a Lifeline as well as the bucket with restraints... where can I get the restraints for the helmets? Can they be added on? Mine are for my motercycle for now, so they only have the chin strap, but would be a great choice for the boat, since they have great venting. Would keep ya relitively cool...

BK
05-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi boaterbum!

"One little 'click' may save your life!"

Yes, you can add the helmet restraints anytime after purchasing your helmet ---- they are about $60-65 and are easy to install - just ask for the kit when purchasing the restraint system.

Nearly every safety equipment company is now selling them these days, because they are proving to be life-savers again and again - both for non-capsule and restrained capsule drivers. IHRA even made them mandatory in 1997, and since then, the reduction in neck injuries has been phenominal.

Now the auto racing suppliers are even producing similar items. Check out the new "Childress/Hutchins Restraint" being used in NASCAR since the Dale E. crash - it is very simliar to our marine version - with the same d-ring helmet connectors, however this one also has an added anchor for connection to the seat belt. See:
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?category=57433&prodid=1104144
NOTE: Even though this system is fitted with quick release for the seat-belt anchor, this is NOT recommended for use in boat racing!

The marine versions are simple devices, with a velcro chest band - and typically come in open face helmet 3 or 4 point (back and sides) and 4 or 5 point (full-face helmet chin, back and sides) protection. These are not connected to any part of the boat - they only connect your helmet to your body - so you dont have to worry about unhooking anything after a crash. If you use them while inside a capsule, you just exit the boat with your helmet still on.

Here are some of the main suppliers of boat racing helmet restraints:

Lifeline Racing Jackets
1601 Kofa Avenue
Parker, Arizona 85344
(928) 669-9241
www.lifelinejackets.com

Security Race Products
2806 N.E. Sunset Blvd. Suite B
Renton, Washington 98056
Phone - (425) 226-1586
Fax - (425) 255-8867
http://www.securityrace.com/brace2.htm

Deist Safety
641 Sonora Ave.
Glendale CA. 91201-2399
Phone (800)383-3478
(818)240-7866
Sales: sales@deist.com
http://www.deist.com/Marine/marine.html
Wording from the ad:
"The tremendous centrifugal forces encountered in a boat crash can put a strain on a driver's neck. The 3" webbing chest band is closed with Velcro. Then the D-Rings are attached to the Helmet, 2 in back, 1 on each side & 1 in the front."

OB Murphy Helmets & Restraints
O.B. Murphy - Int'l. Hot Boat Assoc. - Drag boat safety director
Dallas, TX
Contact IHBA http://www.ihbaracing.com/
Toll free 1-(877)442-2776

Also -- check out this terrific issue of "Drag Boat Review", dedicated to boat racing safety equipment - you may be able to still order a copy: http://www.dragboatreviewonline.com/backissues/00Mar.htm

Boaterbum
05-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks alot for the info and links, I will surely check em' out!!!!
I just started to religiously wear the bucket on the bike, and will more than likely do it when hotrodding with the boats as well, sonn as I figure out how to get her speeds up a few notches! lol....

Balzy
05-06-2002, 07:34 PM
don't get in the boat with a helmet on without a harness. I would rather see you go out without a helmet at all than to wear one without the harness. For $65.00 to $75.00 you can't go wrong. On a bike is one thing but in a boat you can have your helmet "BUCKET" when you hit the water. That is what will kill ya!!!!!!!! I am only 60 miles north of you and have a restraint system here. If you want to see it and try it out be my guest. Just let me know when you wanna get together. Here is a pic of the system.

Balzy
05-06-2002, 07:37 PM

Boaterbum
05-07-2002, 01:15 AM
Yea, will have to check it out one of these days, will surely run into ya out on the Winnibego system, rivers, whatnot... I will get one set up on one of my helmets though before using it... Thanks for the advice..
Take it easy,
~Tony~

Balzy
05-07-2002, 01:20 PM
NPK2003. He needs to make a trip up to the shop anyway soon. I am holding his share of a 55 gallon barrel of Merc Preformance Blend hostage right now.

Sam Baker
05-07-2002, 03:17 PM
AGV R1. I also have a Nolan. Both are Snell approved. Both have visor graphics by Sticker Dude Designs (http://www.stickerdudedesigns.com). It's called Perfex - you can see out just fine as long as it's not raining. It's about like looking through a screen door right up close. Takes about 2 seconds to get used to.

http://www.stickerdudedesigns.com/stickerpics/helmets/scaryfast1.jpg

H2Onut
05-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Cool Lid ....very cool

us1
05-07-2002, 06:31 PM
BELL open face with Tiger Performance automatic on demand Air.

Boaterbum
05-08-2002, 12:57 PM

Boaterbum
05-08-2002, 12:59 PM