David
03-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Bass and Walleye Boat, October 2004

225 HO Etec 73.7 mph with 3.4 mpg at WOT
250 Verado 71.8 mpg with 2.6 mpg at WOT

Both tested on 21' Triton.

Etec had better acceleration
Verado had better peak fuel economy

Has any other apples to apples data been published by an independent source?

I still want a European XR2 or a 200XS:)

Six Four
03-29-2006, 09:08 PM
just wondering what is WOT???

Fast Fred
03-29-2006, 09:58 PM
wide open throttle :eek: :cool: aka hammer down, on the floor board, nailed, gunned,
foot in it, holdin it down with two feet.

David
03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I thought the Verado fans would have been all over this post. Maybe there aren't any - just kidding.

jphii
03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
I thought the Verado fans would have been all over this post. Maybe there aren't any - just kidding.

Well they would be, but they are too busy adjusting valves:D

150aintenuff
03-31-2006, 04:16 AM
or to busy doin an ECM swap on their 280 to notice

jimmyb
04-03-2006, 07:47 PM
too busy adjusting valves:D

good one! you obviously know a lot about the verado! those rocker arms are a real beast to adjust on the verado!

David
04-04-2006, 07:49 PM
The Verado has rocker arms? I thought most automotive engines these days used direct acting cam on buckets, just like my 69 Lotus only with modern metalugy. Why would Merc use rockers?

What is the valve adjustment interval on the Verado?

Stinky
04-04-2006, 08:36 PM
The Verado has rocker arms? I thought most automotive engines these days used direct acting cam on buckets, just like my 69 Lotus only with modern metalugy. Why would Merc use rockers?

What is the valve adjustment interval on the Verado?

Ah, he was taking a shot at the people that were putting down Verado that obviosly know nothing about them. Yes they have "buckets". No rocker arms. And no valve adjustment for the life of the motor.:)

:p

Fish
04-04-2006, 09:24 PM
this thread is almost as interesting as the last 40 on the same subject :p :D LOL

BarryStrawn
04-04-2006, 09:48 PM
But it is more interesting than the last 40 press releases on the same subject. :)

SUPAJAY
04-09-2006, 12:37 PM
The verado and the E tec cannot be compared to one another.
Bombardiar has not yet built a 4stroke and when they do, then you can run it against the verado.
I dont understand why people are comparing the verado to other 2stroke manufactures. I saw a Johnson commercial with the 250etec 250yammy dfi and a 250 verado. All on bass boats. Ofcorse the etec will win on a light performance hull. But the verado beat the yammy.
If your going to compare anything it should be etec with the optimax. Both are dfi 2strokes.

1BadAction
04-09-2006, 06:07 PM
or to busy doin an ECM swap on their 280 to notice

does being an asshat come naturally, or have years of asshatting just made you a pro? :rolleyes:

150aintenuff
04-09-2006, 07:43 PM
natural...nah comes out of necessity from an abused childhood...

Splashabout
04-23-2006, 11:31 PM
Why would BRP build a 4 stroke? If they did it would defeat the whole point of redesigning and perfecting the 2 stroke. There is no reason someone would prefer all the un necessary weight on the back a ultra light weight rig. HP is HP, Look what the other manufactures are having to do to get there.......SUPERCHARGERS???????? VIVA E-Tec.

Fast Fred
04-24-2006, 06:43 AM
an outboard is an outboard, to say you can't compair cuz ones a 4 choke is not realistic, do ya realy think it would make any dif if thay were on a hever hull,
don't see how.

Splashabout
04-24-2006, 08:32 AM
By the way, there is no point to compare the e-tec to an optimax, there is simply NO COMPARISON. They will need to put the optimax on a super light hull and use a drogue anchor behind the E-Tec to make things fair. The comparison to a 4 stroke is because thats all the other brands have to offer

SUPERBASH
04-24-2006, 11:34 AM
VERADO=TORQUE

http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/8666/rudebutton4zm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

In ten years...no one will be making two-strokes...so start stockpiling your little "hi-tech e-tecs" now boys. Later. http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2913/sasmokin6nn.gif (http://imageshack.us)

jimmyb
04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
By the way, there is no point to compare the e-tec to an optimax, there is simply NO COMPARISON. They will need to put the optimax on a super light hull and use a drogue anchor behind the E-Tec to make things fair.

dude, man, you have watched that etec infomercial too many times...

do a little reading:

here's how some 200's stacked up
http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=1059625

here's how the 225's stacked up:
http://www.bassandwalleyeboats.com/output.cfm?id=1059733

i would say that merc opti wins... easily

Stinky
04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
By the way, there is no point to compare the e-tec to an optimax, there is simply NO COMPARISON. They will need to put the optimax on a super light hull and use a drogue anchor behind the E-Tec to make things fair. The comparison to a 4 stroke is because thats all the other brands have to offer

Huh. Smoking what???;)

:cool:

Scream And Fly
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
By the way, there is no point to compare the e-tec to an optimax, there is simply NO COMPARISON. They will need to put the optimax on a super light hull and use a drogue anchor behind the E-Tec to make things fair.

Interesting - can I read your test data?

-- Greg

Massbasser
04-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :D

Splashabout
04-26-2006, 07:54 AM
we have run head to head tests ourselves on top end and fuel economy as well as against the verado. Straight out the box and the e tec cleaned up. we ran on a 2150 Panache.

JPQ
04-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Now they will ask for verification of some sort..pics, video, etc.

Fast Fred
04-26-2006, 08:35 AM
why is the 2.5xs not in the pile? them 250xs's got big grunt.
like hulls, never did find one that did every thing, so i went with the one that worked best for what i had in mind, :cool:

Stinky
04-26-2006, 10:37 AM
we have run head to head tests ourselves on top end and fuel economy as well as against the verado. Straight out the box and the e tec cleaned up. we ran on a 2150 Panache.

Which HP/version of each motor were you camparing???

:eek:

Lockjaw
04-26-2006, 10:22 PM
does being an asshat come naturally, or have years of asshatting just made you a pro? :rolleyes:

Those banana's are great.

You know every once in a while someone puts something out here that just absolutely brings a smile and a chuckle.

Thanks 1 bad. Can you add it to my sig too?

Scream And Fly
04-26-2006, 10:26 PM

Of course, we want to see verification. I also want more detail on the OptiMax comment. We ran a few OptiMax engines, and they are far, far better performers than many people think.

Greg

Lockjaw
04-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I have ridden in a 225 Opti equipped bassboat, and let me say, it was an impressive engine, quiet, powerful, and it sips fuel. It is a truely impressive engine.

Wile E. Coyote
05-02-2006, 10:48 AM
The verado and the E tec cannot be compared to one another.
Bombardiar has not yet built a 4stroke and when they do, then you can run it against the verado.
I dont understand why people are comparing the verado to other 2stroke manufactures. I saw a Johnson commercial with the 250etec 250yammy dfi and a 250 verado. All on bass boats. Ofcorse the etec will win on a light performance hull. But the verado beat the yammy.
If your going to compare anything it should be etec with the optimax. Both are dfi 2strokes.
Why not? my understanding (and im SURE i'll be corrected if im wrong) is that mercury has basically stated that the future of its company lies in the verado/4 stroke market.....brb on the other hand has put their future in the e-tec...so why not compare them, after the ultra left wing tree hugging enviro-nazis are done with all the regulating its all that will be left....so why not compare, its the market they were both designed for (the cleaner burning/less air pollution market that is...)

Scream And Fly
05-03-2006, 12:05 AM
According to my talks with Mercury, they will continue to develop both platforms - 4-stroke and OptiMax. :)

Greg

Markus
05-03-2006, 04:48 AM
According to my talks with Mercury, they will continue to develop both platforms - 4-stroke and OptiMax. :)

Greg

That is at least true in the short term. In the long term, customers and environmental regulations will decide.

mad dan
05-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Was that the same article, where the E-Tec blew up while the magazine was testing the engine?

David
05-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Mad Dan, if you are asking about the original post, no the Etec did not blow up or overheat in that test.

In a later comparison test of DFI 2 strokes, the Rude did overheat a 'special' low water pick up gearcase. The test ran with the stock case, and that's all BRP sell to this point.

How big an issue the gearcase is depends upon the boat. I surely need low water pick ups and a nosecone on my Ally. Yet a 225 Rude will run mid 80's on a Tuff 21 with a stock gearcase.