PDA

View Full Version : Balzy Helmet Restraints

Fl Boy in ILL
03-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Balzy,

You sent me pictures of your helmet restraints but they must heve been deleted, where did you get them ~ how much.

Rick

TWright
03-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi Rick. I use Security race products and it was around $45.00 (I think) a couple years ago.I sent my helmet to them and they installed the "D" rings also. Mine has 5 straps and 3 "D" rings. It fastens with velcro under my cell suit. Tom

Balzy
03-12-2002, 10:39 AM
I think it was around $60.00. You can send in your helmet or install it yourself. It's simple to do. After I got mine (I installed the D-Rings myself) I was not completely satisfied with the 5-point system on a Simpson full face. I felt that the front could bucket back too far. I call Security and they said "NO PROBLEM" They said I could send the helmet in or they would just send me another D-Ring, strap, and the pop rivits to mount it. I had them send me the parts and I had the strap sewn to the front of the belt and added the extra D-Ring in the front of the helmet. Now it is a 6-point harness and is very secure. They are good people to work with and for the money you can't go wrong. My neck is worth more than $60.00 to me. I still wonder if Big "D" would be alive today if he had a $60.00 restrait system on. I don't have any pics here at work. If you want some more, e-mail me at home at mbalz@charter.net

BK
03-12-2002, 10:54 AM
There were several issues with big "D"s accident. The belts were installed wrong for one, but I do think he'd have a far better chance of surviving that type of 'neck jerking' wreck with one of these:

Here's a pic we used in Drag Boat Review magazine:

Balzy
03-12-2002, 11:11 AM
Thanks for finding the pic Val, That shot shows the extra D-Ring I added to the front. I should have mentioned in the first post that there are 4 D-rings now but it is still a 6-point harness because there are 6 straps. They are kind of a pain the A#% to get in and out of until you get used to them. You can unsnap the 3 straps that come to the front and leave the rest hang on the helmet and slip it off. It's also kind of hard to find the straps and get them snapped on while putting it on. You have to do it by feel cause ya can't see the D#^* D-rings. You will get used to it in no time.

You can quote me on this:
You should never were a helmet in a boat unless you have a reatraint harness for it.

This is an important thread. If just one person that reads it buys a restraint and it saves one life ............ well you'll know the rest.

H2Onut
03-12-2002, 11:40 AM
$60.00 I'm in, Are there any paticular helmet recommendation for water use, I have searched and have yet to find a product designed for water use soley, Maybe a niche market opportunity here? So when it comes the time, I guess call security and explain I want a 6 point system and all the harware will be included ?

BK
03-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Last fall I spoke with OB Murphy, who is the safety official with IHBA drag boat association. IHBA made helmet restraints mandatory in 1997, since they were having frequent neck related deaths and injuries to drivers not wearing a neck restraint system. (I never understood why safety awareness in boat racing was years ahead of Nascar?)

OB told me he doesn't recall a helmet related injury since that rule was put into effect! It doesn't mean it can't happen in the future, but I'm absolutely convinced these are at least 90% effective in saving a life from this sort of accident. I've never know anyone to perish while wearing them, and I've seen some really high speed, high g-force impact accidents where guys walked away with them on.

Good facts to know.

OB Murphy makes a helmet restraint system with air for capsule boats. It has a single wider band that attaches by an easy-connect clasp to the back of the helmet.

Lifeline and Security both make non-capsule and capsule restraints. Im not certain about Security, but Lifeline's have break-away clips near the D-ring in case of emergency. The initial impact will have already been absorbed by the time the clasp breaks away.

One thing I learned is to talk with each manufacturer. Each one of them have slightly different theories on how restraints should work, and each one is valid. Listen to everything they say.

I think a topic on lightweight helmets would be great too! I'll see what info I can dig up on what boat racers are most recommending these days ...

Unloaded Racing
03-12-2002, 12:34 PM
I got a Lifeline restraint for a full face helment, Mine came with all the hardware and is six point restraint. Cost including shipping was around $65.00. They are very easy to install. Kentucky Drag Boat Assn and St. Louis both require helment restraints on 11 sec and faster classes. Like Balzy said, If you wear a helmet in a boat you better wear a restraint.
Tim

H2Onut
03-12-2002, 06:41 PM
OK I'm an idiot at this so just dont flame me.

But isnt a horsehoe collar preventing the "Bucketing effect" Or am I way off base here ? Just trying to get my ducks in a row.

I guess that the restraints are far superior.

And isnt a HANS device actually identical to 6 point.

Feel kinda odd typing in the saftey section, but I feel we need to generate some action in here \-:

BK
03-12-2002, 08:12 PM
The collar was adapted to help deflect the water away from the lip of the helmet. It helps, but certainly is not the cure.

Some people think bucketing is having water rush in the 'bucket' - helmet. But actually the term 'bucketing" comes from the G-forces when you are thrown from a boat and your head is pulled away from your body as you are thrown into the water. As soon as the lip of the helmet hits the water, it can easily stretch your neck beyond survival. (more specifically, it tries to pull your head off)

Think about swinging a bucket of water over your head. You know how the water stays in the bucket because of G-forces? Well, the same thing happens with your head -- it actually pulls away from your body and it doesn't take all that much to cause serious damage when you are being flung at 70 or 80 Mph.

That's where helmet restraints come in. It is a way to keep the helmet from being pulled off your head when you catch the surface of the water at the wrong angle.

HANS was designed for use with a 5-point harness. It is a fiberglass yoke that has rubber tethers that connect to your helmet. The 5-pt belts hold the yoke on. So when you release yourself from the seat belts, you'll still have the collar around you. I'm just not sold on this for boat racing. But that is my personal opinion.

However, Vince Voisin is a Formula Two boat racer who had a rough crash (flip) a couple of years ago and smacked his head hard inside his capsule while tightly strapped in. He is a young man in great physical shape, but said he was in pain for quite a while after that and was amazed at how far his necked stretched to be able to hit the canopy where it did. He started using a HANS last year and says he likes it -- he hasn't had an accident yet with one on, so we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

I have seen two capsuled drivers die of broken necks (actually, separated brain stem), much like Earnhardt and Adam Petty and dozens of others. If they had been wearing a helmet restraint, I have no doubt they'd be alive today.

About NASCAR, An investigation by the Charlotte Observer in November found that at least 260 people have died in auto racing - at large and small tracks - since 1990. NASCAR drivers Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin Jr., Adam Petty and Tony Roper Jr., as well as ARCA driver Blaise Alexander, have died in the last two years.

The NASCAR deaths, all from head and neck injuries, have led to a series of safety measures, including the required use of head and neck restraints.

Last week, Grand American series driver Jeff Clinton was killed during practice Friday when his open-wheel, open-cockpit race car veered off course, flipped repeatedly and landed upside down. No word yet if he was wearing a helmet restraint. Clinton was President of "Grey Eagle Distributing", one of the St. Louis Grand Prix boat race sponsors.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/2002/Mar/2/gramfatal.htm

Fl Boy in ILL
03-12-2002, 08:30 PM
I will be ordering a restraint this week, like Tim mentioned KDBA requires them and I am going to run the 11 sec class but I should say I'll be ordering 2 one for myself and 1 for my son even though his class won't require it. He is worth far more than anyhthing I could spend and his safety is the TOP PRIORITY on my list. This will be his first year racing and I want it to be the first of many.

Rick

BK
03-12-2002, 08:34 PM
Great to hear it Rick!!!

Brings a big smile to my face !! :D

And best of luck to you this season.

;)

Balzy
03-12-2002, 11:28 PM
Glad you're getting two Rick. That's the best thing you can buy your son for his racing hobby, safety equipment. If he starts wearing the right stuff from the start he will be used to it and always use the stuff. You are setting a great example for all high perf boaters and I commend you for that...........:D :D :D

MODVP22
03-12-2002, 11:54 PM
You are all right. I know when some local yahoo pulls up next to you on the river or lake no one really wants to give the jacket and helmet thing a thought, but when its time to get serious, saftey first. It only takes the loss of 1 friend to have that feeling hit home in your heart...a friend of the family died 3 years ago in his Stoker, want at full throttle, not even racing, but if he'd had his lifeline on at least, he's probably still be here. I know I am for sure getting those restraints for the used helmet I have.

hey BK, did you dress your hubby up for that picture, lol

Fl Boy in ILL
03-13-2002, 08:37 AM
Nope, that is a picture of Balzy. Ain't to purty but he sure looks safe, LOL

Rick

MODVP22
03-13-2002, 11:20 AM
Exactly, don't need to look purty, but saftey is #1

Balzy
03-13-2002, 11:56 AM
If'n 'ol T-Rex and I had us one uh den der beuty contests I might finish a close second !!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

halveb
03-13-2002, 05:16 PM
Hey Baldy (I mean Balzy),

Since this thread is about safety I insist you keep that mask down for the safety of all :D

P.S. I am getting itchy to get the HST all purdied up for this season. Got a new gas tank sitting in my living room and a new interior in Thumper's garage (I sure hope he ain't installed those nice new seats in the Vector).

Balzy
03-13-2002, 09:03 PM
Vector Shmector, he's got your interior in his living room. It's the only furniture Thumper owns right now !!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

halveb
03-13-2002, 10:59 PM
I think Thumper is reclining back in one o' dem bad boyz write now. When I kam up in tha las sno storm he musta quik put'em bac in tha garage.

I look at it dis way, at leas they gettin broke in by a pro:D :D :D

Tommy Burcham
03-16-2002, 05:57 PM
what is the web site for security race products. i can not get it to come up. Thanks, Tommy.

Balzy
03-16-2002, 08:21 PM
http://www.securityrace.com/