PDA

View Full Version : Schoonover Or Petty

largecar91
03-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Can Anyone Tell Me If Jan Schoonover Or Bill Petty Is Still Alive? I Have This Dutchman Tunnel I Just Bought And I Have Never Seen One Like It. I Am Trying To Dig Up Some History And Or Photos. I Know There Is Another Man That Acually Owned Dutchman That Was Living In Louisiana But I Have Tried E-mailing Him For About A Year Now With No Luck.thanks

MagicFloat
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Kevin Nichols,a member here,has a Dutchman. I saw it last winter,his dad has owned it for years. Looks just like yours. Maybe he will chime in.

largecar91
03-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks

Raceman
03-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Unless Kevin has 2, the one he sent me pics of was a Glastron/Molinari (according to him).

largecar91
03-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks. I Have Seen Another Dutchman 17' Spoiler But This Model I Have Is Different.

T2x
03-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I Have Seen Another Dutchman 17' Spoiler But This Model I Have Is Different.

Schoonover made the Dutchman hulls...or at least was involved in their manufacture in some way....They were named after his successful Switzer wing race boats....and of course his Dutch heritage.

Petty made the Petty Craft version of that design in Aluminum........

Do you think that Petty had some say in the Dutchman operation?..Or are you feeling that because the two boats were made at approximately the same time, only a few miles apart, that he has some knowledge?

My point is that the hull is basically a Schultz....with pads on the sponsons. They had a very low attack angle...and a tendency to stuff which was exagerated by the lift from the rear pads. What information are you looking for beyond that?

T2x

P.S. I believe that both gentlemen are still alive.

largecar91
03-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I Am Looking For Information Pertaining To The Particular Model That I Have. I Knew About Dutchman Boats And Some Of The People Involved. It Was A Local Hi Po Boat Company When They Were Built In Elida,ohio. I Always Heard Petty Was Involved But I Am Not Sure Of That. Also Looking For Pictures Of The Model I Have For Restoration Purposes.thanks

MagicFloat
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Raceman,don't know how many boats Kevin and his dad have, but it's more than 2,and they definately have a Dutchman,I saw it.It's kinda rough,but it's been in their family for many years. I believe it came from Anderson Boats in Cullman,AL. Kevin would have more info I'm sure.

SCT
03-20-2006, 09:46 PM
largecar91,

I emailed a friend of mine from New Knoxville, OH. He said Bill Petty is retired from his long time machine shop and moved to Florida a few years, ago. He thinks he is still alive.

A long time ago, when I was getting into aviation, I applied to Bill's company flight department for a job on their company jet. It was based in the Wopokenta Neil Armstrong Airport (just North of Dayton, OH).

I'm sure Sherlock or Mr. T can tell you more info.

largecar91
03-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks, If your friend is from New Knoxville then he will probably remember my boat. It was the sign at Bayview Marina from 1978 to about the late 90's. It is about 10 miles west of him on Grand Lake. I just got a phone # for the man that owned Dutchman Enterprises. His name is William Blough Sr. I will try to persue this avenue. I read that he raced boats in the early 60,s in Miami, Fl and also owned Aqua King Boats in Miami then later moved to Ohio.