PDA

View Full Version : GM mechanics - please help!

Riverman
03-14-2006, 11:20 AM
I just started driving a 98 K2500 pickup with a 350. This is my first vehicle with fuel injection (yeah, I know :rolleyes: ). Suddenly this weekend it will not start and pretty well everyone I have spoken to is talking fuel pump. Is there any way to test this, whether it is the electrics (relay, wiring) or the pump itself? I plan to change the fuel filter tonight just for good practice and if it turns out to be the pump I will lift the box off rather than dropping the tank.
Oh right the truck has 200,000 km on it. Any help would be appreciated. Brad, just looking for more opinions. :)

1BadAction
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
(WITH THE ENGINE COOL) find the fuel pressure regulator toward the back of the fuel rail, there will be a schrader valve on it, turn the key on, wait 30 seconds and then grab a rag to keep it from spraying fuel everywhere and press the valve core. If it squirts you have fuel pressure, if it doesnt the pump isnt running. also, if you listen near the tank with the key on you can hear the pump running. they are pretty loud.

you can put a new relay in it first, if that fixes it your good, if it doesnt, go ahead and drop the tank to make sure the pump is getting voltage. if it is, change the pump. either way its always good practice to replace the pump and relay at the same time.

Riverman
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks Jim, but I don't see a fuel rail. Is it possible that it is under the intake?

1BadAction
03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
yep, its the vortec... the Fuel Pressure Regulator is attached to the Fuel Metering body opposite the fuel lines. Meaning its INSIDE the intake.

1BadAction
03-14-2006, 11:50 AM
might want to replace the fuel filter while your at it... they start getting restrictive and kill the pump.

Riverman
03-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I am going to pick up a filter right now.
Where is this schrader valve you speak of? Is it visible without removing anything? The only one I saw is near the vapour cannister.

1BadAction
03-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I am going to pick up a filter right now.
Where is this schrader valve you speak of? Is it visible without removing anything? The only one I saw is near the vapour cannister.

with that style intake I dont think you can get to the regulator valve without taking stuff apart. its been a while since I screwed with a vortec, all my stuff now is the MPI gen3.

Riverman
03-14-2006, 01:31 PM
My biggest fear is spending $600 for a pump and then finding that wasn't it!

1BadAction
03-14-2006, 01:50 PM
My biggest fear is spending $600 for a pump and then finding that wasn't it!

what!?!?! LOL aounds like u talked to a dealer. go here. www.gmpartsdirect.com :cool:

CDave
03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
If ya need a pump you can get a Walbro off of eBay at a good price. Also ya can go to this website and ask. http://www.fastbass.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=23 There is a GM mech. there.

Riverman
03-14-2006, 03:50 PM
No, that was at a discounter. GM would be a lot more than that.
Jim, the site you listed was probably for US only. I would be scared to buy a non returnable part off the net anyway. I gotta keep looking locally.

david martin
03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
If you can not hear your fuel pump running turn the ignition on while you have the fuel filter off and believe me you will know if your pump works!
David

david martin
03-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Remember
Fuel, fire, timing!!!:D

Propster
03-21-2006, 10:11 AM
I had to replace the pump recently on my 1998 Tahoe with a Vortec 350. Pretty common problem. Wouldn't start and I could not hear the pump running. The pump is a big bulky affair that comes with the pump, housing, fuel lines, fuel guage and float. You will need one of those plastic fuel line removal tools to get the lines off the tank. Mine went out on a sunday and I had to buy an aftermarket pump. It worked ok, but the fuel guage is erratic now. Might be better to get a GM replacement.

Riverman
03-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I changed my pump and it works now. I got it for $410 Canadian. I managed to remove the fuel lines with a couple of small screwdrivers. What a whacky setup!

I asked the GM trainer here at work if I should spend the extra money to buy a GM pump versus the aftermarket one. He said it is the GM ones that fail - he has never heard of an aftermarket pump failing!

My gas gauge was erratic with the old pump, it is OK now.

stv92
03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Welcome to GM.

I have a 1996 Suburban with 454 vortec.

It now has 350 thousand klm. :eek:
Great motor, never been taken apart & takes no oil.

Now that bad news:

Every 100t klm, I have to change the fuel pump. This is common.
I would bet that your fuel pump is the problem.

If you turn the key one, do you hear the pump ?
If not, I would say fuel pump.
If you hear the pump, its not the pump.

I would pull the tank off & check for rust, they also rust without notice.

Good luck,:)

Riverman
03-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah, it was the pump. All fixed now. I chose to remove the box rather than drop the tank, it was easier that way.

stv92
03-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Remember, change it every 100t klm. or get stuck on the road.

Enjoy the efi.:D

Riverman
03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
It would take me 20 years to put 100000km on a truck. Thanks for the tip.