PDA

View Full Version : 99 200 Optimax reliability

dspencer
03-10-2006, 07:12 PM
I have a 200 Optimax that I have had on a Ranger 518 and am now selling it. I have had one check valve replaced as well as yearly service(filters and plugs) plus changing the grease. The lower unit went out several years ago and I had a new lower put on. It shows no metal when I change the fluids.

The question I have is whether this motor is a problem motor. I have it listed on another forum and one member has repeatedly said that his mechanic said 97-99 200 optimax's were/are the worst. My motor hasn't exhibited any problems. Should I worry? I am selling this boat but I don't want to mislead a potential buyer.

Any Mercury mechanics know of any unusual problems with my motor?

Thanks

302w
03-12-2006, 12:19 AM
My brother in law had one and had nothing but problems. Every company has some bad ones that get out every now and then. If it had been well maintained then I wouldn't worry about it. Does it have any updates on it?

dspencer
03-12-2006, 03:47 AM
I bought the boat in late 00 and the boat still within its 10 hour breakin. My mechanic looked and said there were no updates that my motor needed. He did tell me about quickleen instead of power tuner so I have been using it.

Skittles
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
those model years were a problem for optimax's in general................but............95% of the problems were 135-150 optis built off of the 2.5L block........not the 3.0L 200's and 225's. The bigger opti's weren't bad, they had their growing pains just like any new product but certainly were not bad engines......I know of many still running perfect today. That being said, alot of it will depend on the history of your motor........how it was run......how it was maintained, etc etc. ANY motor is a problem child if it is abused.:)