PDA

View Full Version : 150aintenuff goes 4 stroke

150aintenuff
03-09-2006, 11:38 PM
today I Installed a brand new yamaha 4 stroke on to the family fissin boat.. its on the small fry side of things .. a new T8 with the Power tilt , electric start and all the bells.. and holly cow.. not oly is it SMOOTH, quieter than the merc 8 it replaced(but not much) it hits the rev limmiter and it sounds like it is only spinnin about 3000 rpm... not even strugglin to spin 6000+ rpm.. should keep the fish weary for 20 years to come... next year... big motor... lookin hard at the 300XS..

1BadAction
03-10-2006, 10:20 AM
if it aint blown it sucks. :D

150aintenuff
03-13-2006, 12:41 AM
its a kicker.. it can suck all it wants... keeps the fish guessin which way were commin from...

all i can say is it is way to quite.. at dead idle you cant even hear it 2 feet from it.. on saturday we(me my dad my grandpa and 2 friends) hit the starter switch probably 3 times while it was running because we couldnt hear it.

blkmtrfan
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I must say Nick I am kind of shocked :eek:

Lockjaw
03-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Burn him at the stake I say!!!!!!!!!:D

blkmtrfan
03-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Burn him at the stake I say!!!!!!!!!:D

Sorry Nick, but that is pretty funny :D :D

150aintenuff
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
well 2 reasons... my 90+ year old grandpa wanted to buy something new for the boat. and also do something good for the environment being that he is a retired fish biologist.. so he made it clear that this year we would be getting a new motor.. no iffs ands or buts.. I did keep the merc 8 and all of its rigging parts ( original fully functional Autoblend II ) for my P 14 but i must say that the little yamaha is a sweet little kitten.. and wouldnt hesitate in buyin another one... big motor will be 2 stroke even if new due to weight.. I cracked 3 welds at crescent bar rally last year because of the drive over, and not noticing the lower motor mount bolts had vibrated loose.. not enough to notice but enough that they lost torque and when I went in to repair them the whole inner structure of the transom was cracked so we are adding a little beef in to it with knees and some heavier walled meterial and then maybe next year or 2008 go to either a suzuki 250 4 stroke or a 300 XS opti. the 150 spun out a even 130 PSI compression so it is OK for a few more trips but it is slowly loosin top end so the rings ar about due..(2500 hrs ago...) i did however see 48.6 with a load this weekend fissin in it so it is livable.. untill i can play in the stream..

150aintenuff
03-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry Nick, but that is pretty funny :D :D

ill bite... so do i have to provide my own stake since I said I adimetly refused to EVER go 4 stroke and still did heck im in that type of mood so ill even provid my own tar and feathers.. so after you burn me at the stake you can tar and feather me.....

it was pretty funny.. and when the 150 goes away i am sure more than that will be said..

Lockjaw
03-13-2006, 10:39 PM
You could probably sell me a Verado, but that is it, until they turbo one.

And let me just say, good for the environment is a relative term. How many boats do you see versus car's or for that matter, lawnmowers?

I don't buy all the hype of outboard polluting. Yeah if you are spilling gas or oil into the water, then you have something, but.... and its a big but, you can also leak gas or oil from a 4 stroke.

150aintenuff
03-13-2006, 10:54 PM
agreed.. and it sint like an 8 hp uses any fuel to begion with... we fish all day on less than a gallon anyhow.. but hey it didnt cost me anything out of my pocket and the motor is a sweety.. and it trolls down slower and has better turning power than the merc 8 did so it is easier to run the boat.. I do have to give it a 2 thumbs up report... but it took some convincing for me to go 4 stroke.. and then i had to put my foot down a few times to ensure that I got the final say in what motor we got... both father and grandfather wanted a merc... but merc doesnt build small motors anymore.. so that was veto'd emmidiatly.. it took some convincing and a few fishin guides to help but I got my way and im happy with it.. i got me a new 2 stroke for the little fissin boat so I cant complain.. you couldnt sell me a verado.. to heavy.. and the cowl is UGLY.. they may be quiet and run good... but they also have to look good.. and be something other than a fat ass.. i like OB like I like my women... small , light, and inshape... the verado is none of those.. so its a fatass..

blkmtrfan
03-14-2006, 08:49 AM
big motor will be 2 stroke even if new due to weight.. I cracked 3 welds at crescent bar rally last year because of the drive over, and not noticing the lower motor mount bolts had vibrated loose.. not enough to notice but enough that they lost torque and when I went in to repair them the whole inner structure of the transom was cracked so we are adding a little beef in to it with knees and some heavier walled meterial and then maybe next year or 2008 go to either a suzuki 250 4 stroke or a 300 XS opti.

All that damage with the 150 merc :confused: :confused: (only 400 lbs)

What is that rated capacity of the hull :confused:

How smooth of a ride is your trailer :confused:

150aintenuff
03-14-2006, 07:48 PM
yep.. i know.. its BS.. hull is factory rated 4 200 but that was in 89 when the biggest motor that the merc dealer here was buyin was the 200.. they are currently rated unlimited.. max recommended of 250.. and they are saying that they without question will install a verado 275.. go figure.. trailer is smooth, always trailer with transom saver with built in rubber shock absorber as well.. i was annoyed but that is what a lifetime hull warranty is for.. all i have to pay for is the beef up and the knees... then it will get a rerating from the factory for unlimited.

its a typical corner weld on aluminum.. the weld is 4043 and the aluminum s 5052.. the welds are the week points.. i am trying to ffindout if i an use 5356 wire and if so that will end my problems.. there wasnt that much " damage" because nothing could move the way i noticed it all was when I installed the new yamaha.. the transom was in an S shape as it traveled down to the bottom.. but it is almost all better.. "rewelded till summer" then it will be all better and i may get to add the pad i wanted to last year...

150aintenuff
03-14-2006, 07:50 PM
also remember scott the boat is 17 years old.. they just happened to letgo durring the rally.. im sure they had been workin on it over those 17 years.