PDA

View Full Version : Stainless fenders

Chummy
02-14-2006, 11:40 AM
I have stainless fenders on my trailer and was wanting to sand out some scratches and polish them back. I would like some advise on this and the easiest way to do it. Thanks

QUICKSILVER
02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
I have polished mold cavities out to a mirror finish, and you sorta use the same process as polishing paint or gel coat. Start out, depending on the depth of the scratches with a grit that is less than the depth of the scratch. It the scratches aren't deep, and you start out with 80 grit you are going in the wrong direction. Pick a grit that produces slightly less scratching than what was damaged in the first place. You then continue to finer grits until you see a dull finish and no scratches. Be careful not to cross contaminate the sand paper with grit from the ones used earlier. 1000 grit paper with one small peice of contamination from 600 grit, and you are back to a 600 grit finish. Work your way up to where you can use a polishing compound made for metal. It also comes in different grit sizes, be sure you keep going finer. Once you are sastified with the finish you are getting, polish with Simichrome, and kill the first person that puts his foot on your fender.

Someone that polishes props might have some better answers, and sources for the proper compounds to use.

Chummy
02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
thanks for the reply, I'm going to try that out

Scott Gilmore
02-16-2006, 02:21 PM
BEER works really well !! Scott :D

Chummy
02-16-2006, 02:27 PM
I will definetly try that :D