PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info. on Rockford Fosgate

Bennington
02-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Any and all input.Good/Bad Experiences and opinions on the following parts.

Which are all being installed in my new Toon........

Two of these....

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=18&series_id=59&family_id=61&item_id=91985&locale=en_US

Two of these....

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=18&series_id=59&family_id=62&item_id=91861&locale=en_US

And this....

http://pradomacedo.blogspot.com/2005/05/rockford-rfx9020m-fosgate-marine-cd.html

I don't have the Amp for the Subs picked out.
Was thinking of going with a cd changer also....but with my IPOD why bother right?

K.K.

Scott Gilmore
02-13-2006, 07:29 AM
Ipod's are nice for convenience BUT the sound quality of a good CD player is far better. However being outdoors on a pontoon you might not notice the difference as much. Good luck & have fun with that new Toon !! Scott :D

tdogcarter
02-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Really cannot go wrong with Rockford Fosgate Amps either. Had a complete system in my Talon with some Punch 201s and they were great performing Amps in the day. Assuming they have continued their worksmanship they probably are a very good amp to use. Usually they were underrated at the RMS watts from the factory. My Punch 201 was only suppose to put out like 50 watts RMS a channel at 4 ohms. When I ran some speakers with that Amp and then changed amps to see if there was any difference in amps with only 50 watts a channel. The RF amp was way more powerful than the other. I actually tried two amps, a sony 50 watt amp and a kenwood 50 watt amp. RF was very nice and put out a very clean sound to both the subs and the 6 x 9s I had.

Not sure if True Marine Subs are any different than there standard except for maybe all stainless connectors?

wantone
02-17-2006, 05:32 AM
Rockford Fosgate all the way!

bigbore
02-22-2006, 04:03 AM
fosgate stuff in te past has been pretty good,the only time i was really in tune with them was when they had the d.s.m.'s and the d.s.m.ix's,that equipment was good high current stuff,and i think the powers were the subs to get at that point and time,i think they still got those actually.ask the dealer how the marine line subs are as far as the performance catagory as the regular punch powers.you know its important to have equipment that is in tune to the boating enviorment also,no matter what you do the stuff will get condensation on it,that can happen just from the dew of sitting outside in the mornings.so yea i would say probably a good call on that equipment.

jmc
03-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Im not a big fan of Fosgate stuff. Most of the Amps run pretty hot and they are not the cleanest by far. As far as the RF speakers go....well I like their Amps better! Seriously, buy your speakers from someone who makes just speakers or a company that builds quality even in their base line. Diamond, MB Quart, Focal even Polk are all good speaks that can be had for less than you think. Unless you plan on waterhosing everything directly I would not pay extra for marine speakers. The quality is usually not as good and you end up with a speaker that has so much shielding the sound suffers. Go to ebay and you can buy whatever you want usually 30% cheaper than Crutchfield prices. IMHO I'pods cant be beat. Yeah, they may not be CD quality but they dont skip in the rough stuff and who wants to screw around with 15 gillion CD's anymore? A good cable is all you need for a direct connect to a decent head unit.

inspectorlance
03-29-2006, 12:44 PM
like jmc said , ya really dont need marine speakers. ya just pay more and get less. Just make sure ya dont get paper cone speakers for the boat.

I have been running RF 800 w amp pushing 4 Pioneer 275 w 6x9's, and 2 RF HE-2 12" subs in a box by a RF 400 w amp wired at 2 ohm="800 w" This system just rocks !! I have had it on three different boats over the years. I have went through a few decks due to use on the salt water.

The HE2 sub is the way to go, they really pound.

Remember that you need big power when your out in the open, its not like in the house or in the car. My system would pop your head off in a car, but its just right in the boat. Ya need lots of base when your out in the open air, so go big. I had to put a 100 amp alternator, and three batterys on my boat.

I dont think that this large system has really slowed down the STV, still really moves even with all the wieght. :) :) :) jk

opps, or is this system on the Bayliner , too may boats to keep is straight :)

Lance

Six Four
03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I have ran it all for the money I would say go with poweracustic, speakers and amps, I sell more of that then I do anything, I even made a beliver out of myself after changing from kicker to PA, more bang for the buck and as far as a cd player I love and depend on Pioneer. just my 2 cents

jmc
03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Post some pics of that Powercat six four! Good to see some real vintage out there. Hell, you may have one of my old hulls!

brade07
03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I have a 500bd rockford amp running in my car. This amp has tonnes of power, stays nice and cool, compared to my old pinoeer, pheonix gold and my current 4ch alpine. This amp used to run 2 12" rockford HE's, which worked very well, ive run this set up for over 5 years with moderate to heavy use and never ever had a problem.

I recently sold the subs for 1 10" alpine type R, to save room in my trunk, this sub is rated at 500w rms, and 1000 max. my old rockfords were 400w rms and 800w max COMBINED! so you think the alpine could handle the power, but after 3 days the amp melted the sub solid, alpine sent me a new sub 600w rms and 1500w max and has been good since.

To wrap everything up, speakers, subs and amps, id say rockford is one of the best youll find. But id stay away from their cd players.

Six Four
04-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I did a search for them and this site seems to have good deals , but I'm not sure about there shipping. Thats cheaper than I can sale it. I have been messing with this stuff since I was a kid, and that high end stuff is okay but for the money go with the PA's,I promise you will be pleased. Get there amp aslo just stay away from the '05 ones that have the plasma globe on it.....

www.caraudiodeals.com

Six Four
04-01-2006, 03:23 PM
JMC Here is a link to my cat, you can look around that same site and see two more of the cats here that we built.... You got anymore cats laying around??
http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/SN_16t/SN_16t.html

jmc
04-25-2006, 03:53 PM
The link doesnt work six four. All my powercats have been gone since the 90's :( I had a '68 14 footer with a '68 merc 135 inline 6. I also had a unknown year 13 footer. Very cool boats. I cant believe some of the guys are running Merc. performance engines on them :eek:

supergenius74
05-23-2006, 12:39 PM
I've never had experience with RF marine equipment, only car audio. But back when i was still into car stereos you couldn't beat a set of MTX subs running on a RF amp powered by an alpine deck. Best bang for your buck when it came to quality and quantity of sound. Of course this was 10 years ago but I doubt these guys have let their reputation go. I also liked boston acoustics component speakers running of a high powered deck, no amp. I used to out thump guys with 1000 watt amps and 12" speakers with my 10" MTX punch 40combo, in mono the amp only had 160 watts RMS but those speakers used it very efficiently. My buddy still has a similar setup in his bayliner and it will run for over 2 hrs on his deepcycle and is about the loudest boat at the sandbar. -shane

speedyfast
06-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Ive had a full speaker set installed in my RX7 for about 2 years. They serve their purpose which is an upgrade from stock although im not overly impressed with their clarity

LakeRacer99
07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I like Fosgate...For what it is worth, 12-15yrs ago I used to compete in audio competions with Fosgate amps and speakers. 2 Punch Pro 18" subs, 2 Punch Pro 12" subs, 2 punch Pro 8"subs, 4 5.25" Punch components and 4 1" tweeters. 2 Punch150 amps and 2 punch75 amps. And this was all in a ford ranger. Fosgate was one of the top amplifier manufacturers back then.
Since then, I did some installations part time for Circuit City and they seemed to be doing more with less...oh and it was more about the dB then the sound clarity also:confused:...

y2kstang
08-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Your Ranger looks awfully familiar. Did you compete in the 1990 Master Invitationals by chance? That setup also sounds familiar, seems like I remember a system schematic printed somewhere on that setup, tailgate or rear shell glass.

I competed with the RF power series amps from 2 years ago and took first in virtually every event including Spring Break Nationals and Nopi Nationals. Took 4th in the IASCA world finals with the same setup so anyone that says RF doesn't have competition level SQ is absolutely wrong. Anyway, most mid to upper quality amps today you can't hear any difference in anyway. People are very brand loyal in the Hi-Fi area just like they are with oils and marine motors and parts.

LakeRacer99
08-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Probably wasn't mine. I built this Ranger around 1991-1992 and sold it in 1994. Audio competition was local, but IASCA sanctioned.
I agree with you about the brand loyality thing.