PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Wood Seats!!!

E-rudesoldier
01-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Pulled all the seats out today and several of them had mosture in them and the wood was bad. I think I am going to replace them with wood again but I am wondering has anyone tried seeling the wood with like deck sealer or anything like that? or is there a better matterial then wood??

stokernick
01-31-2006, 08:35 PM
wood rots.fibreglass,where's 'Fly'' when you need him?:D

david martin
01-31-2006, 08:44 PM
I just fiber glassed the wood of my seats befor I sent them off to have them appolstered.They look great and are not that heavy.
David

stokernick
02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
ttt;) ;)

E-rudesoldier
02-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I really dont have the knowledge to do fiberglass anything right now, so i used some thick stuff thats like shlack. I need to learn how to do glass work.

Hottrucks
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM
For what you are doing goto Wally world and pick up the can and read the directions!! I'm sure you could figure it out besides there a hundred guys that will walk you through it and it will be a great project for you to learn on since they'll get covered anyway..... Just make sure everything you cover is DRY,DRY DRY DRY ( get my point) or your just sealing in the water..

E-rudesoldier
02-11-2006, 09:59 AM
this would be my only chance to cover up my ugly mess. My only question is there a certian temp needed for the resin? Its been friggen cold here.

Liqui-Fly
02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Oil based urethane will seal as good as anything. Pu atleast 3 coats on.

E-rudesoldier
02-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I used urithane on the bow seats that are easy to get to and will need to be done again soon, so I feel a little better about that. I am going to try and glass some of the other wood just to get some experience with doing glass since last time I touched it was helping my dad build a canoe at age 10.

So Fly is the reason you need a back seat with the I/O "hump" because of your gas tank? or do you just like typing the word "hump" as much as I do?

Liqui-Fly
02-24-2006, 04:16 PM
The first time I did the transom I know I was going to blow it because the knees were too far apart. I was right. The second time I turned the tank sideways and brought the knees in so I was stuck with the hump:)

STV Tunnel
02-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Is that why you have that big Road Warrior looking gas tank up in the cockpit?

I hope it never gets punctured by anything.....but maybe you can upholster it with some diamond tuft trucker material that would be just as period correct looking as the dryed out teak on your dash.

:p

Liqui-Fly
02-25-2006, 10:47 AM
When you find a friend from this board and save enough bottles and cans to buy a digital camera so we can see a picture of video of the "Magic Mystery Mobile" people might....just might stop laughing at you.

The dried up teak is being replaced this winter:D

JSK
02-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Old seat bases were rotted out, so used them as templates on the new plywood, cut, assembled and applied Pentox.

Stapled new fabric on top and good as new.

E-rudesoldier
02-25-2006, 06:16 PM
same here except my old leather was still good, played around with fiberglass on a couple of them too just to try it.

STV Tunnel
02-25-2006, 09:30 PM
save enough bottles and cans to buy a digital camera

From the looks of your boat you may be the one needing to dumpster dive to fund your hobbies and lifestyle..... It looks like a welfare project.

I have single parts off vehicles that would sell for more than your entire boat trailer and motor. I know for a fact my boat would bring a higher price.

Laugh all you want...the joke is on yourself. I love that gastank....and the custom sunfade on everything. Classy.

Hey...new hulls are only like 13 grand man....that should be less than 2 months dough for the average workin man.......

SKATER241
02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Covering Your Wood Seat Frames In Fiberglass Is Easy And Adds Strength To The Seat With A Limited Amount Of Weight.you Will Want To Do This In A Warm Well Ventilated Area.buy Some Fiberglass Mat And Some Resin.figure Less That A Quart Per Average Seat.you Will Also Need Some Cheap Paint Brushes And So Me Disposable Tupper Ware Or Coolwhip Containers.cut The Matting To Fit What You Want To Cover.overlapping Seams Also Add Strength.once You Have Your Peices Cut Mix A Batch Of Resin And Hardner Per The Instructions.next Put On A Pair Of Good Rubber Gloves.paint The Wood To Which The Mat Is To Be Bonded With A Heavy Coat Of Resin.next Apply The Mat.now Soak The Matting Down By Applying Resin With The Paint Brush.make Sure The Matt Is Soaked All The Way Through.dont Mix Up More Resin Than You Can Apply In 5-10 Minutes.once It Starts To Heat Up And Harden Throw The Container And Paint Brush Away And Start Again.give Your Seats A Day To Completely Cure And Your Ready For Upholstery.hope This Helps.

E-rudesoldier
02-27-2006, 08:06 PM
That does help, I do wish I had that last post before I did the bow seats I kinda messed up in a couple places. I am done except the back seat, I am going to glass it and I am trying to figure out how to make it lighter. Thank you for the help!

Jake

RJSHADOW8021
02-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Pulled all the seats out today and several of them had mosture in them and the wood was bad. I think I am going to replace them with wood again but I am wondering has anyone tried seeling the wood with like deck sealer or anything like that? or is there a better matterial then wood??

you can glue them together with it and coat them with it. i did mine in my shadow when i built them and they still look new after 6 years

1BadAction
02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Jake, get a half sheet of Divinycell Foam instead of wood and glass them up. about 1/8 the weight and strong as hell.

Hottrucks
02-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Keep in mind that if you build them besure to use fiber mat with it or it's worthless.....keeps water out but no strenth by its self
not sure if you understood that part of it and don't want tosee you waste your time or $$$$$$$

E-rudesoldier
03-01-2006, 07:32 PM
i think i understand what to do with the Divinycell Foam if i use that i should use the thicker mat that is stronger first than a second layer of the smoother stuff. i may use that on the back seat the rest are already dont and the big heavy back seat is the only plywood peace left. i would like to use the old seat leather cause it matches the boat, i just need to quite procrastinating and make up my mind.
thanks for the help!

Liqui-Fly
03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
If I could do it all again........I would build everything from okume marine plywood (very very light) and put polyurethane over it. You get into glass....then you have nothing for staples and you end up with a very very expensive seat...that is why I continue with my current quest. One day I will wake up and go with the wood.

Be creative in design and weight reduction copying the current layout and you'll be very happy. Put some Allison seats up front and try to lighten up the seat bases if you have the swivel style.