Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etec Vs Optimax

Does anyone have a direct comparison test for these two engines? either 150 or 200 Hp ( i am considering the 150 HO)

I am well aware that some people on this forum have there own choice of manufacturer but i would very much like objective oppinions.

Many thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a PM....

In that size range, I'd go for the 150 Opti.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the merc 175 hp 2.4 liter optimax, real low fuel use and lite weight compared to the brp and yamaha motors in this hp range. I have rigged these motors and talked to the owners after they have run them for a while, and every one has had great things to say, and no problems.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try bass and walleye magazine (they have an online search on their site). They have compared several sizes of the big 3 (yamaha, merc, brp) on like hulls with each company doing their own set up. BRP for some reason at the last minute did not show up to the last one and gave no reason.

During the tests, Mercury did very well against the others, however, merc had a sportmaster and they others did not have a comparable lower unit which obviously would make some difference. additionally, I do not believe the tests included the new H.O.'s from BRP which from what I hear will definitely give merc a run for its money.

truth is, both are kick azz motors. Merc has a better lower unit, BRP, has a better warranty (i believe). BRP is aggressively trying to be the best and forcing merc to step up its game. End result, both motors rock, and I would be happy with either.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    I like the merc 175 hp 2.4 liter optimax, real low fuel use and lite weight compared to the brp and yamaha motors in this hp range. I have rigged these motors and talked to the owners after they have run them for a while, and every one has had great things to say, and no problems.

http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/p...-135$MEOPT_150
    http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

Opti has 195 kg, E-TEC has 190/196 kg (long/extra long)

by the way - I am happy with my 150 HO , much less parts, no belt driven charger, much more quiet than Optis
    kindly Regards,
    Ferdi

my site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ferdi....Opti's are NOT supercharged if thats what "belt driven charger" means. They do however have a belt driven compressor for the DFI set up that makes very little noise. So please tell me how many "less parts" does the E-Tec have??? I personnaly love the sound of a Merc or even an E-Tec at full song.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncwby View Post
    Hey Ferdi....Opti's are NOT supercharged if thats what "belt driven charger" means. They do however have a belt driven compressor for the DFI set up that makes very little noise. So please tell me how many "less parts" does the E-Tec have??? I personnaly love the sound of a Merc or even an E-Tec at full song.
    sorry,
    I know that, but I am not native english speaking. for me kompressor and charger meant the same .
    I know that the kompressor only kompresses fuel for direct injection. But, this kompressor is belt driven, right ?
    So, there are a kompressor, a drive belt, a drive shaft (or whatever it is named), some mechanism to stretch the belt ( i suppose) ......
    I personally do not like the Orbital system, which is used in Optis and Tohatsus and which is licensed from them http://www.orbeng.com.au/orbital/dir...dioverview.htm
    And each part which is not present cannot fail.

E-TEC creates pressure for fuel directly in the injectors. That's a real advantage of E-TEC technology (also of former Fichts and DI's) against Optis.

But, also the Opti is a fine piece of craftmanship and is very strong and powerfull. Even they are louder than E-TECs, but this is not allways a disadvantage. Some people love it .

You always will find one who loves one engine more than the other. And everybody loves his own one .
    kindly Regards,
    Ferdi

my site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the Rudes but if fuel economy is what you want then the Opti is what you need. The Rude 150 H.O has been tested at just 2 mph slower than the Merc 175 Opti XS. However the Rude 175 will probably not be any faster as it has a bigger gearcase.

BTW, did you all know that OMC and not Merc developed the Opti system. They then decided it wasn't for them and dropped it for the Ficht system. I would say that was the biggest boneheaded move in outboard manufacturing history.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neveredge View Post
    I love the Rudes but if fuel economy is what you want then the Opti is what you need. The Rude 150 H.O has been tested at just 2 mph slower than the Merc 175 Opti XS. However the Rude 175 will probably not be any faster as it has a bigger gearcase.

BTW, did you all know that OMC and not Merc developed the Opti system. They then decided it wasn't for them and dropped it for the Ficht system. I would say that was the biggest boneheaded move in outboard manufacturing history.
    if you follow my already posted link above - http://www.orbeng.com.au/orbital/dir...dioverview.htm - you will see, that not OMC and not Marinepower developed it, but Australian Company ORBITAL many many years ago and Merc and Tohatsu and also BRP for some SeaDoos have licenced ORBITAL DI technology.
    OMC decided to buy FICHT technology because it is (or they thought) the smarter system with much less parts involved.
    Already 20 years ago they had DI 2-stroke cars running, but for some reason DI 2-Strokes did it not into production on carsector.
    kindly Regards,
    Ferdi

my site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember corectly OMC had a big hand in the Opti develpment. I know Orbital was the origin but Opti was OMCs baby. I just can't remeber the exact association.

Info is hard to find on it now that OMC no longer exists and I'm sure they didn't want the world to know they had a hand in it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say thank you very much for all the replies to this post! also it is nice to see constructive posts rather than petty squabbling like i have seen on some other forums, this seems like a good grown up subject!

the only other thing i have to compare is prices! but if anyone else would like to add there 2 pence, please do!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few... Ed's Marine 150 E-Tec $11,00 ...150 Optimax $9,600, these prices are plus shipping. Jaco's Marine 150 Optimax $9,933 + shipping but they give a 5 yr. warranty instead of the usual 3 yr. If that 5 yr. deal is still in effect I would jump all over it...another 2 yrs. for $333!! Do shop around though, the way the economy is right now and the end of summer you might find a hell of a deal......on either engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This has nothing to do with which is the better motor. Look around and check out the local dealers. See which one, merc or brp is the dealer you want working on your new baby. Sometimes this is the most important choice!

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres the truth, Mercury, Yamaha, Tohatsu, Honda, Suzuki, and yes Evinrude all make unbelievable motors. However like most people know BRP has really stepped up the Direct Injection part of the game....Before the Etec Mercury was dropping the Optimax and it was selling Sh-tty, the HPDI was rarely used, Evinrude should get applause for stepping up the sales of ALL DIRECT INJECTION MOTORS....They shed the truth on 4 stroke technology, then the other 2 big DI companys followed suit and started telling the differences in technology.....Everyone knows that posts here that I personally prefer the Etec, simply because of the smoothness, sound, less parts, WARRANTY, their dedication to improve their product every time you turn around, oh and also STUMP PULLING TORQUE, AND NOW HIGHER HORSEPOWER MOTORS, now of course when you compare the extremely expensive 175 PRO xs supposedly (192)hp vs. the 150 HO Etec, hows that fair for performance??? 192hp vs 165hp, yet the Etec in our tests of customers boats we have seen only a 1-2mph gps speed advantage on high performance hulls, and the price difference is usually $2000.00, we tested on boats at the Bass Cat dealer meeting, a 2009 Pantera classic (light) vs a 2009 Pantera 2 (same hull as classic just a couple pounds heavier), the classic had a 200 Optimax the Pantera 2 had a 200HO Etec, out of the whole they were close, once 50mph hit the HO ate the optimax, and thats the truth, all of the Mercury fellows that would not talk Etec before that day, bought some Evinrudes for their dealer, seriously......Both motors are on the top of their game, however Ive learned from real sources that the 150 opti puts out a real 146hp at the prop since 2006,EPA, the 150 ho is roughly 163-165 at the prop, with a lower restirction lower bullet unit, so decide who will service you, what dealers sell in your area, and also check the 150-175 HPDI, very good company and motor, call me if you want real opinions and facts, Brannon 920-295-2069 anytime

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy with any of the DFI engines with a warranty

Where I live, its not so simple as buying from a local dealer who can support you. The small local guys don't have the buying power, so they are thousands of dollars more expensive than the big dealers. And the small local guys may not have the experience to deal with the complications of DFI technology. The stories I hear suggest they don't.

Hypothetically, I am willing to support my local guy, but only for hundreds, not thousands. Practically, I keep running my old motor.

Two more things: Merc has the best gearcases and its easy to find solid mounts for Mercs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast