Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boating and Beaches near Greenville, South Carolina?

I'm looking at a possible relocate to Greenville, SC. Who lives near there and what's the boating and beach situation like?

We are water people so clean lakes for swimming and watersports are what we would want nearby. What are the names of some of the lakes?

Ken

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Clemson which is about a 45 min. from Greenville, a few lakes around your area. Lake Hartwell is right behind and all around Clemson, you should try the lake out of Seneca, SC can't remember the name of it, but one of the prettiest lakes I've ever seen. Those are the few that I can suggest, but promise you won't be disappointed either one!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Go Gators!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips. Lake Hartwell looks real nice. I think the other lake you mentioned is Keowee. Both look like they are 50-60 miles out of Greenville. It will be a shock being that far from the water.

Now I'll need to find a campground that will let me keep my motorhome there all season and has a boat launch. Anyone know of one?

Also, searches for houseboat rentals on either lake have not been successful. Anyone know of houseboat rentals?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved from MI to NC in 2007 and will never go back! The boating season down here is April-November Lake Murray is awesome in SC, though its a bit of a drive from Greenville. Are you moving this way for work? Might want to look into the Raleigh area as well, tons of jobs and some really nice lakes very close

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on down brother, We have a string of lakes that run from the N. C, mountains which is where I live, about 35 miles from Greenville, you would be around 30 to 40 min. to some of the finest lakes that exist, I have a place on Lake Keowee which I consider my home lake as I do my practicing for both the bass boat and the drag boat.
    If you are looking for water this is the place, good luck and come take a look.
    Shook
    shookboat.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a business freind that just moved form the detroit area to Senca SC, sells hot runners for injection molds. He has a home with access to Lake Keowee, and from what he decribed to me it is awesome, clean and deep with mts in the background. I can bump him to see if he knows of any campgrounds and the houseboat rental question.

STORZ- we'll have to get you on Lake Norman once too

I am originally from GR, MI about 25 yrs ago though!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tool'in View Post

STORZ- we'll have to get you on Lake Norman once too
    Anytime

Though from what I've heard little jets like mine are kinda small for Lake Norman...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storz View Post
    Are you moving this way for work?
    Yes, my employer has an opportunity for me at their Greenville Facility. It would be a transfer for me.

I'd never miss the Michigan snow or the cold that's for sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tool'in View Post
    I have a business freind that just moved form the detroit area to Senca SC......I can bump him to see if he knows of any campgrounds and the houseboat rental question.
    If you can get any info from him that would be great!

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also went to college at clemson. I was there in the late 90's and the Lake level was LOW. I don't know what the level is like these days, but if it's still low, watch for tree tops! i had a jetski while i was there. At the time the lake was mostly pontoon boats and bass boats and a few ski boats. From what i hear, there are a lot more performance boats there these days though. they even have a Hartwell poker run. Good luck!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Century,

You made me think of another question.

What type of boats are running out there? Am I going to need a 25' to survive out there in the afternoon chop? Getting beat to death and taking water on because we have a 19' ski boat is not my idea of a fun day on the water.

I've noticed a lot of the inland lakes here in Michigan are supporting Offshore size boats (30 foot plus) because the owners either like being the big fish in the pond or are to skeerd to take it on one of the great lakes where it belongs. Is that a problem down there too?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lakes down here tend to be a bit larger than the inland lakes (northern MI notwithstanding) in SE Michigan, I gew up in Brighton and spent many a summer on those little roundy-round lakes. Most of the lakes down here are dammed rivers and are quite large, the main part might get choppy but they are very long and have tons of little fingers etc that stay calm. My 18 hasnt been a problem on anything I've been on down here, and we spent all of last weekend on a friends 18 foot jet on Lake Murray, and while it was rough in the main part of the lake, the channels and river areas were smooth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19' ski boat is the perfect boat for Hartwell. Anything over 24ft in Hartwell is overkill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lake Keowee and Lake Hartwell are 30 - 45 minutes from Greenville, and in fact a lot of people who work in Greenville live over toward the lakes. Hartwell is big at around 57,000 acres and a 1,000 miles of shoreline. Keowee is 18,000 acres with 300 miles of shoreline. Keowee is 33 miles long. We boat on Keowee and of the 10 -20 lakes I've been to over the years, IMO it's the nicest - clean and deep.

You'll like it here; mountains and hiking are 30 minutes away and the coast (Charleston) is 4 hours away.

We boat from March thru November. It is one nice, long season.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Docked Wage - one more thing; South Cove Park, in Oconee County is on Lake Keowee and has an awesome campoing pennisula where every site in either on the water or has a view of the water. There's three ramps there as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails South Cove Park.png  
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging class hatred. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast