User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast

Thread: R/C helicopters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WAY too many horror stories about tail motors burning out after 10 minutes of flying time, tail wagging, parts on back-order, etc. I wouldn't go the E-Flite route at this point unless they made a small version of the fully-collective Blade 400 like yours, or at least a brushless tail. I've got my eye on the 3-axis flybarless gyro system that's coming out for the 4G6. That would be an expensive combo, but people wouldn't call the cops if I started flying in front of my house with it.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    WAY too many horror stories about tail motors burning out after 10 minutes of flying time, tail wagging, parts on back-order, etc.

Here's my take on that - if I listened to most of those people I wouldn't own anything and wouldn't be having any fun. Just my opinion, but I think most of those stories do not represent the majority and a good portion of those complainers were expecting the SR to fly like the mSR. They are crashing their SRs left and right, and many are blaming the helicopter for it. I've read enough posts to basically know what to believe and what people consider a wobbly 30-second hover a "flight". I have over 30 flights on my SR and not a problem at all. The tail is rock solid also. My experience with the SR has been stellar so far.

I think Walkera has some very cool helis - I like the Falcon 40 and I have the 180D, which is great, but I also get worried about their zero-support and questionable hit-and-miss quality. Again, I am definitely fan of some of their products, but at least there's recourse with E-Flight if stuff goes wrong. If you come down this way again, you're free to take it and use it during your stay.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just cut to the chase Chad, and get one of these: http://www.helidirect.com/align-trex...ow-p-15331.hdx

All you need then is lipos, a balance charger, and a receiver.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What do you think of this Raptor G2 clone by Walkera? I've read nothing but fantastic reviews about it: http://www.xheli.com/exrcg2brrche.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about that specific heli Greg, but I used to own a blade 400....and one thing that I have learned is that when you have a heli that has a really high headspeed (400 & 450 helis), and a plastic head and tail......you are always going to be buying lots of parts when you crash. EVERY time I would crash my blade 400 I would have several broken parts in the head...and sometimes in the tail if the crash was bad enough.

My CopterX 450 on the other has a metal head and tail, and I have yet to break anything on either one. The metal parts are so much more crash resistant......it's worth the extra money if you can find the heli you want with a metal head and tail. I don't think I would ever go back to plastic again.

Just my opinion.....
    Ian

...boatless for now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reading stuff like that really ticks me off. I'm probably going to call Horizon and see what they do about refunds. From what i've read on another sight the sr is having nothing but problems, tail motor failure, swashplate separation, tail wag, and parts are still sooooooo back ordered. I've read more negative stuff about the sr than positive. Not many upgrades avaliable, and still 20$ more than the G2. Talk about an impulse buy gone wrong. I think the tail motor went out on mine, I don't know if it caused the little tip over or not. But from reading it has all the signs of going bad, extreme heat, slower speed, burnt smell, stuff flinging out of it, ect.... so i have to get a new one to be safe. And I havent had it in the air 1 min of time. oh well enough complaining.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    Reading stuff like that really ticks me off. I'm probably going to call Horizon and see what they do about refunds. From what i've read on another sight the sr is having nothing but problems, tail motor failure, swashplate separation, tail wag, and parts are still sooooooo back ordered. I've read more negative stuff about the sr than positive. Not many upgrades avaliable, and still 20$ more than the G2. Talk about an impulse buy gone wrong. I think the tail motor went out on mine, I don't know if it caused the little tip over or not. But from reading it has all the signs of going bad, extreme heat, slower speed, burnt smell, stuff flinging out of it, ect.... so i have to get a new one to be safe. And I havent had it in the air 1 min of time. oh well enough complaining.
    I wouldn't go by what you read on message boards as far as negativity goes. Keep in mind that usually the the vocal people are the ones having problems. I'm sure they've sold tens of thousands of SRs, if not more - and the majority of them are probably fine. I have over 40 flights on my SR without a single problem - and the tail holds great. I also think many people got into the SR thinking it was much easier to fly than it was. It's easy to fly for a collective pitch helicopter, but it is still a CP heli.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    True, I still havent had a chance to fly mine, i'm going to get another tail motor to be safe, going to break it in too. Well hope to get some gears soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Have a look at this beast - a Walkera #38 Chinook. I just got this from XHeli and it's a total riot to fly. It's absolutely humongous, and the rotor wash it creates when it goes airborne is unreal - so much so that it can only really be flown outdoors. It's a big slow boat of a helicopter, but it moves quicker than I thought it would. The entire rotor heads and swash plates are aluminum, as well as the main frame and it appears to be made very well. The noise levels this thing creates is incredible - between the four motors and four rotors spinning, you can imagine. It's a lot of fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That things awesome!

Get some video greg!
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just when i thought my collection was complete

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2400

the mcx2, which i really need, i cant master the msr yet.
    Greg, when you decide to have a yard sale let us know. you have to be up to 15 helis now and 2 planes?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I called horizon today to see about a new tail motor, they said they would snd me a new one on monday. Very nice of them. On another note on tip from another site, i inspected the O-ring and shims on the blade grips and the O-ring was cut up on the one side so I decided to put the bearings in it instead. There the same bearings as inside the grips. You have to get another set of grips to get the thrust washers out of it. Now there needs to be 4, I havent had a chance to fly it since I dont have the main gear yet. The grips rotate real nice and smooth with the bearings. I also changed the pinion gear to a 10 tooth to improve head speed. The swashplate was tipped forward a bit so i adjusted it to be as level as I can see it. All suposed to improve handling, well see how it goes. Next is new aftermarket CP blades.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i inspected the O-ring and shims on the blade grips and the O-ring was cut up on the one side so I decided to put the bearings in it instead. There the same bearings as inside the grips. You have to get another set of grips to get the thrust washers out of it. Now there needs to be 4, I havent had a chance to fly it since I dont have the main gear yet. The grips rotate real nice and smooth with the bearings.
    Huh? The head is supposed to be rubber-dampened. It won't fly right without the rubber O-rings.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't know that. It was done due to a tip on another heli site. Well I'm not flying it anyways. All I noticed is that with the O ring the grips felt tight and bound a little and with the bearings there smooth and well like on bearings. If I only had the thing spooled up for less than a 1 batt. and the o rings were chewed up, I wonder how long they'll last?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Didn't know that. It was done due to a tip on another heli site. Well I'm not flying it anyways. All I noticed is that with the O ring the grips felt tight and bound a little and with the bearings there smooth and well like on bearings. If I only had the thing spooled up for less than a 1 batt. and the o rings were chewed up, I wonder how long they'll last?
    I would not go by what anybody is saying about the SR now, even repair tips. Just go by the exploded diagram and that's it. Over 40 flights in my SR and everything is perfect still. I think it's a great heli.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast