Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking about selling my 28' cat not sure on value. Any ideas ??

I have a 1993 28' Redline with 2.5 245 Hp that are original motors on boat. Boat has been in MI fresh water all its life. It is super clean with fresh paint. I completely gutted boat and replaced every nut/bolt/wire/gauge/throttle/ignition/fuel line/pumps/batters/cables you name it. Both motors have been completely rebuilt from top to bottom. Only thing original is interior which is not in bad shape. Props are 28 3 blades that were labbed by BBlades. Boat has not been in the water since complete. This is a very rare boat. Theres only a couple original Redlines out there. Any thoughts on value ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0551.JPG   IMG_0514.JPG   IMG_0503.JPG   1415291308609.jpeg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low 30's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Low 30's
    Thats my problem I can't replace it for that if I ever tried. I personally would take mine over a 28 skater. A skater that is rebuilt like mine is 60k +

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the Skater is a much faster hull and has a cult following. Really no comparison there to a mostly unknown Redline. The 245 carb 2.5 engines with CLE's are worth maybe $4,000 each at best. That would put your 22 year old hull at $20,000-$25,000. Look the best the thing to do is put it for sale for whatever price you think and the let the market tell you. Also delete this thread when you do put it up for sale.

5. Likes johnmiffco, doc_texoma liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the Skater is a much faster hull and has a cult following. Really no comparison there to a mostly unknown Redline. The 245 carb 2.5 engines with CLE's are worth maybe $4,000 each at best. That would put your 22 year old hull at $20,000-$25,000. Look the best the thing to do is put it for sale for whatever price you think and the let the market tell you. Also delete this thread when you do put it up for sale.
    Question ? What would you consider a much faster hull ?

My motors have 5k in just Pistons. Lowers were both rebuilt with new parts. I would think for the condition there in 4K each would be cheap.

My hull was just reconditioned by glass Dave with new paint and rub rail. We filled in transom and totally rerigged. We moved motors out and up based the measurements off the old catastrophic redline that ran 118 mph which is the same hull as mine with a different inside layup. Also building a new heavier tie bar.

Also adding over 5k in moster gauges and throttles.

My my buddy has a 04 28 skater and I wouldn't take his hull over mine. My hull is wider and just as light. I haven't had a chance to do a overall measurement but mine looks longer also.

Im new to the outboard cat world so maybe I'm off a bit but 30k would not buy my boat. I guess it's gonna take the right guy like me to say I'm not paying for the skater name.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked I gave you my opinion. I am not the guru of boat values. I have owned about 15 cats over the years. Cats are much more difficult to sell than V hulls. No name boats are even more difficult. Right now the 28 Skater is one of the most desired used outboard hulls in the world. Older carb 2.5L Mercs are not real desirable either. As I said delete this thread and put it up for sale for what ever price you need. I have had very good luck with EBay and "Powerboat Listings" This website is very good for outboard boats. Craigslist is terrible for higher ticket items, but it is free and can not hurt.

8. Thanks Leebone46 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You asked I gave you my opinion. I am not the guru of boat values. I have owned about 15 cats over the years. Cats are much more difficult to sell than V hulls. No name boats are even more difficult. Right now the 28 Skater is one of the most desired used outboard hulls in the world. Older carb 2.5L Mercs are not real desirable either. As I said delete this thread and put it up for sale for what ever price you need. I have had very good luck with EBay and "Powerboat Listings" This website is very good for outboard boats. Craigslist is terrible for higher ticket items, but it is free and can not hurt.
    thank you, I do appreciate your opinion. I do agree it's a harder sale without the name. Just putting some feelers out there before I list it to see where the market is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sad truth is that we always lose money on restos.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As info
    A year ago a marina in Alexandria Bay, N.Y. sold the same model with the same engines for $27k. It was in good condition and had an aluminum trailer. Engines were good, but not rebuilt and hull was original gel. From previous threads on S&F these hulls were stated as top quality.

12. Thanks Leebone46 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill but it this way. ive never owned a cat Hull. I love all model Skaters,STV, DCB,Redline, and cougar ect.. Ive looked at im sure 1000,s of these hulls for sale over the last half century. Even at 27K I would have hoped for EFI motors looking at your boat. That would keep me away as the hull will work great but the motors are another story even though they have a great reputation. If I was you i would buy two used 300pm motors and sell those pair. lets say you get 4000 each. 8000 for the pair. Thats one older 300 PM with 200 hrs pretty much. Then you spend the same for another. {Some times a Pair sells a little less} Then you ask 40K I would be looking very hard at buying her. But at that point If she was mine i wouldn't want to sell her with 300,s Trade in the 245,s for 300 pm, X or XS motors and Keep her for a while. Maybe worth 45 even with 300,s? i would look hard at anything under 50 with good 300,s on the back so would WAY more people is my 2 cents.
    Last edited by whipper; 01-26-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PORT View Post
    As info
    A year ago a marina in Alexandria Bay, N.Y. sold the same model with the same engines for $27k. It was in good condition and had an aluminum trailer. Engines were good, but not rebuilt and hull was original gel. From previous threads on S&F these hulls were stated as top quality.
    I remember that boat. There could be a couple factors in that price. 1 could be salt water. If those motors were in salt water at that age I'm not sure I would want them. 2 were the motors and drives due to be rebuilt ? They recommend every 100hrs on those power heads. So you just spent thousands on going threw them and hopefully they didn't need Pistons. That would have been a comparable price to mine before I touched it. I guess most that have replied aren't willing to spend top dollar for something that is complete rebuilt ready to go. They would rather do the work and put the 15-20k into it themselves. Or possibly leave it old school and original and just run it till they blow a power head apart and be down for the summer wishing they would have rebuilt it over the winter. Preventive maintenance is what i do ��

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whipper View Post
    Ill but it this way. ive never owned a cat Hull. I love all model Skaters,STV, DCB,Redline, and cougar ect.. Ive looked at im sure 1000,s of these hulls for sale over the last half century. Even at 27K I would have hoped for EFI motors looking at your boat. That would keep me away as the hull will work great but the motors are another story even though they have a great reputation. If I was you i would buy two used 300pm motors and sell those pair. lets say you get 4000 each. 8000 for the pair. Thats one older 300 PM with 200 hrs pretty much. Then you spend the same for another. {Some times a Pair sells a little less} Then you ask 40K I would be looking very hard at buying her. But at that point If she was mine i wouldn't want to sell her with 300,s Trade in the 245,s for 300 pm, X or XS motors and Keep her for a while. Maybe worth 45 even with 300,s? i would look hard at anything under 50 with good 300,s on the back so would WAY more people is my 2 cents.
    We think a lot alike !! ☺️ I really wanted to put 300's on it originally. My motors were both running with no issues. My mechanic really loves the 245 carb motors. He gets excited just talking about them. Lol so now that I've put over 10k into the 245's I have that's not a option. I figured I would run it for a couple years and do the swap then. Things have changed, I don't need to sell but if I could get reasonable money for what I've done I would consider selling. Thanks for your input

16. Likes whipper liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HaHa yes she is a very sweet hull and one good thing is the Value is already out of her so she isn't going to go down in value over the years at least. Boats are like that as long as there kept well. Material and everything just goes up for new stuff so the older nice ones hold or go up eventually. Can you imagine how sweet your hull would be with 300,s though!! 120+ and hold on! Even 280,s now that gas prices are low for the next 10 years. Ive thought about selling my Grand Sport many times for something faster and bigger. But I really only need a bigger boat 5% of times I boat and even then its never that nasty to justify. Motor is the next big thing for me. Im really looking for a motor that i can take to the grave with me. i hate selling stuff thats paid for! I might bite the bullet and get a Billet block 2.5 when there ready and call her a day. My hull will last forever and need a Hi HP motor to do the same. The promax has been almost like that just a little shy on the HP I want for what I do. Have a great year boating looks like shes going to be a hot one!!

18. Likes Leebone46 liked this post