Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any one ever heard of a side winder

I had to go work on a stove the other day up in the hills of pa and seen this boat it kinda looks like a hydra stream but it has a small block v8 jet drive the only thing i could see on the boat as far as a name is side winder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceKiller View Post
    I had to go work on a stove the other day up in the hills of pa and seen this boat it kinda looks like a hydra stream but it has a small block v8 jet drive the only thing i could see on the boat as far as a name is side winder
    Yes sidewinders were 14, 16, and 18 ft. Very popular at one time and pretty, all were outboards mostly. Some i.o.s and pumps in 18,s. The 14,s, were fIipped at least twice, [capricorn] for one thanks.
    free spirit / ONTARIO, CANADA.

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool the way I remember it,,,

Sidewinder was the original, copied by Baja, n on n on. Sidewinder was the original. flat deck jet application. never known as super fast but it was the beggining of the "jetboat" revalution in the late 70's. big round windshield. Taylor was the big dog here with the Taylor SS or the SJ. that's it from the "alzimers wing" of the SNF old timers wing.
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the Siderwinder has a great following but an iff"y past or so it seems. Glastron made the Hull that Schuster liked after watching some off shore races. Schuster borrowed a 16 ft Glastron from a dealer and Splashed the hull.

I am not sure who came out with the Lo Pro Deck 1st or the SS/Tahiti deck but both had a copied Glastron Hull.

Either way both Splashed each others decks and as far as I know both went out of business back in the 70's or early 80's.

I have a Schuster Tahiti, also known as a Sidewider SS or a Cobra.

Now as to Taylor's Again we are talking to different boats.....OK Taylor's or CA Taylor's

OK Taylor's were flat bottom SK, SJ or V drive with a few limited Mod V Hulls and maybe 10 O/B's.

The CA Taylor's were Mod V Hull and either in Jet, I/B a few V Drives and a few O/B.

The CA Taylor I bought.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A true classic, and one of the "original" performance boats (from a point of brand recognition) from the late 1960's through the 1970's.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Sidewinder

So popular, that it appears someone is still building them

http://sidewinderboats.com/
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This boat looks to be 18 ft and i would say it cold be bought at a pretty good deal it has the serial number on the aluminum rub rail I don't have the money to buy any thing rite now im laid off the boss just throws me a bone under the table hear and there.

and i found a old Baja looks like its about 21ft closed bow it has a inline hanging on the back i hate to see these old hot boats setin around and not being used and i know this boat could be bought cheep

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's a terrible shame that so many older boats are sitting around, turning to dust, when so many people who appreciate them would love to recover them, but are prevented from doing so because of time, money, space, distance, etc.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so rite If i had the money and room I would old boats setting every ware and probably be divorced LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post

So popular, that it appears someone is still building them

http://sidewinderboats.com/
    Be cautious of the company building the New Sidewiders as it seems they aren't producing any boats but taking a lot of deposits. On the Sidewider Forum there is quite a history with the company having a lot of issues, a couple early boat broke and sunk due to lack of foam or wrong foam, there was a report of one loss of life due to issues...I wish the Sidewinder Forum was up but something is wrong with the site just now.

Karsten

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They also made wooden tunnel hulls for a few years in the early 60's to get their name out in the OPC racing world. The original Sidewinder was a 16 footer popped directly from the 1965 Glastron 16 footer. They simply lowered the sheer line slightly and put an "SK" type deck on the hull. it was built lighter than most Glastrons and ran well with a single 1250 BP Merc. The first hulls came to the East Coast in 1968 or so. Bob Van Epps and Calvin Powell raced them that year.
    Last edited by T2x; 01-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    They also made wooden tunnel hulls for a few years in the early 60's to get their name out in the OPC racing world. The original Sidewinder was a 16 footer popped directly from the 1965 Glastron 16 footer. They simply lowered the sheer line slightly and put an "SK" type deck on the hull. it was buily lighter than most Glastrons and ran well with a single 1250 BP Merc. The first hulls came to the East Coast in 1968 or so. Bob Van Epps and Calvin Powell raced them that year.
    TX2,

Actually it was Schuster that splashed the Glastron after 16 ft Deep Vee after watching an offshore race and hte flat bottoms getting their butts kicked. Schuster borrowed a Glastron from a local dealer and copied the hull over the weekend.

Sidewinder came along and copied the hull Schuster had copied and added a Lo Pro Deck, Then Sidewinder knocked off the Schuster Tahiti deck pictured above...Everyone was suing everyone and I don't think anyone ever won anything....Then came all the copies of the Lo Pro and Tahiti decks.

Sidewinder also made the Seabold Warrior Tunnel Hulls which still command a great deal of money today.

Ricekiller,

You ought to go talk to the guy and see what he wants. You might be surprised and he want just want it gone. I have seen two of these lately being given away, a few more hauled to the dump....You either find a guy that wants an older boat and want to keep it going or ya can't give these older boats away.

The Sidewinder-Boats Forum is full of people that love Sidewinders and all the copies. I ran through one resto post where a guy found a Sidewinder 16 SS (haul like mine above) that had been converted from out board to I/O or Jet using 2x4's, hacked up, sitting on the ground, no cover for years....Completely redone and back to an O/B.

Saw another post where found out a buddies boat had been out on the property from something like 16 years and the people wanted it gone.....Hull was about all that was left and had to cut down a few small trees to get it out but someone hauled it home.

Karsten

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother and had one with an online 150, more boat than a couple really young knuckleheads should have but we managed somehow to keep the wet side down. It was a really col boat back in the day.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Buddy in High School ( 1969 ish ) had a GREEN Metal Flake Sidewinder with a Inline on it. Everybody thought it was the fastest thing on the planet... ( Might have been at the time )

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up on a 69 lo pro sidewinder with a 115 evinrude,its till around my uncle has it now I'll see if i can dig pics of up heres a youtube video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPJGGW8OeA
    1986 Hydro Vegas w/260
    1980 24' Superboat w/300 PM (Sold)
    1986 20'Taylor LP w/300 promax (Sold)
    1986 10' Cougar Cub w/25 Johnson (Sold)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 real nice boats there Karsten. Congrats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast