0 Thread(s)

Boat industry sales

What sells these days?

Are bass boat sales strong?
    wakeboard
    pontoon
    offshore
    offshore center console

i know what doesn't sell, boats like my SS2000 and J craft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pontoons with big power
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the inshore saltwater fishing market has gone nuclear in the coastal markets. That's pretty much all I ever see around here within the last 5-10 years. The 20-24' center consoles that will run 50-60mph (and some faster) are super hot sellers here. I think I have the only bassboat in the counties around me...but I didn't necessarily buy it to catch bass though...
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower...it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

02 Dodge Cummins 2500 reg cab 4x4, converted long to short bed, up a foot, twins, injectors, fully built auto, dyno'd 582hp/1015tq

99 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe, 8.0L V-10, lowered 1", Corsa pipes/no cats, 450hp/500tq

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bay boats are very popular in coastal Georgia,especially the boats priced in the 35 to 45k range.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tri toons here, more and more with 250+hp showing up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We did quite a bit of research for the outboard articles we have done recently and outboard sales in general and outboard powered boats are through the roof. Industry data shows outboard boat sales of all types was 127,000 in 2012 and grew every year to 165,000 in 2016.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw your articles on outboards and that sales were through the roof. What types of boats are all these outboards going on?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tompoons

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I saw your articles on outboards and that sales were through the roof. What types of boats are all these outboards going on?
    In general, every category has seen increases. We are seeing more and more family runabouts in the 20-26 range being offered in outboards now, particularly from mainstream manufacturers. Obviously bass, bay, flats, offshore fishing and CC boats are just through the roof.

Another aspect is the big players, like Mercury and Yamaha own many boat manufacturers, so they can market and dictate some sales to a degree; they are pushing outboards obviously.

Big performance boats are very popular right now, DCB, MTI, Skater, Cigarette, Outerlimits, to name just a few are selling lots of hulls and have many outboard options, where they didn't in the past. Cigarette makes multiple outboard options now. Formula is introducing a few outboard models now. The Verado 400 is really popular for mid size to large Cats.

CC / fishing hulls are so popular it's crazy and they are getting bigger and bolting on as many outboards as they can. Even small companies like Concept, Sea Hunter and SeaVee are making more boats then ever.

That 115 to 250 is a massive segment. It covers so many categories. The Vmax SHO line is very popular. For the hardcore, the 300XS is hard to beat, out of the box it's impossible to beat. The 400R, although limited in single engine hulls, is very popular among CCs, Offshore, Bay boats, Cats, pretty much anything that can handle them. Mercury will start making more ProXS four-stroke engines, like they did with the 115 ProXS, the 3.0 150 four-stroke will probably be the basis for new engines in that range.

We did an article a long time ago about some traditional sterndrive hulls seeing a resurgence from the outboard phenomenon.

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2017...ig-v-8-engines

These are really popular, massive bowriders with big outboards. I can see how they are a sell, easy to drive, tons of room. Ugly as sin. All the big mfgs are making them and bringing new models on board every year, overtaking what used to be a sterndrive category.

Small runabouts:

Cruisers, might be one of the bigger growth areas.

Old school resurgence.

10. Likes JasonRS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Improved sales, good news. How far off the real good years of the past ? They look good white.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    In general, every category has seen increases.
    Really? How about the 15-21 foot outboard sport boats that the majority of everyone on this forum owns? The only US companies that I know of who are selling any now are Full Throttle Powerboats, Allison, Mirage, and Liberator.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StratosVT View Post
    Really? How about the 15-21 foot outboard sport boats that the majority of everyone on this forum owns? The only US companies that I know of who are selling any now are Full Throttle Powerboats, Allison, Mirage, and Liberator.
    Ya, that's an interesting thing and I think there are few things happening there. One is that back in the day, a family performance boat was a ski boat, family boat and a performance boat; you had mainstream manufacturers making boats like this and smaller hardcore ones as well. Then, boats started to fill specific niches, water sport specific boats became more popular, now we have wake surf boats, ski boats, etc and we have performance bass boats and species specific fishing boats, also region specific style fish boats. Add the family boat side where there used to be so many choices, literally Bayliner had a performance line of boats, The Cobra (I know it's not a great performance boat, but they were in that market to a degree), to crazy performance boats from multiple manufacturers. Then insurance, fuel, marketing and consolidation took effect.

It was no longer feasible for some to compete with lower cost mass produced non-performance family boats, you could buy a Hydrostream, or a Checkmate for double duty but new boaters could get into a Bayliner, Sea Ray Regal etc. turnkey with trailer "boat show special" for less money, easier sell to the family and the market changed. With the consolidation, the Brunswick, Yamaha and other marine conglomerates could reduce costs greatly, while also targeting the best market for them. They now own the floor space at boat shows, sponsorships, advertising etc. So when a young guy who wants to get into boating goes to the show to see what's out there, he's not going to see the boats we like, he will be marketed to a wake / surf boat, a Yamaha jet boat, a family bowrider outboard etc.

Designing and building performance boats on a smaller scale takes time, effort and labor, making it tough to compete in the entry level market. The ones that are succeeding, don't worry about the price, they are going for the top of the market. You can't really change the labor aspect of building a boat, unless you have large scale.

Another caveat is liability, several boat makers were sued over the years, where families sued because someone had a tragic accident in a "performance" boat that was probably over powered and in the hands of someone who made a bad decision. That isn't a main reason, but it is certainly a part of it.

They are still out there, the ones you mentioned and Checkmate, Tuff, Nordic, Donzi, Sutphen; along with small shops etc, but it's a tight market. There's been some complacency by those companies in marketing and innovating with new products but that's understandable.
    Last edited by WavetoWave; 11-18-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    Improved sales, good news. How far off the real good years of the past ? They look good white.
    It depends on which records you look at, the data is a little dispersed. But, I would say just new outboard boats, which doesn't count re-power or replacement, the metric is getting close to 200K this year, total would be quite a bit more than that. In the hay day, whichever you want to say it was: in 2000 - 2003, it would be slightly more than 200K, so I would estimate, depending on the re-power market, which appears to be strong, it's pretty close.
    That's from NMMA and industry reports I have looked at, but some of the data is not that accurate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to understand but .................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PontoonTwin400.jpg  

16. Thanks blacktruck thanked for this post
    Likes blacktruck liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Hard to understand but .................
    Mind boggling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast