Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of boat is this classic???

The title says its a 1966 pittcraft. It's built strong and has a pad built in (I think). Has a deep bow like some Donzi's. Could it be a copy of another more popular hull. It dosent have a motor on it today. It came with a bigger motor which I sold because it had issues. I had a old 50hp laying around and I used that for a year and it was fun. Went through the chop like nothing because of the deep-V but only want 30 which was only so fun. The transom is solid and I was wondering what kind of performance I might see with 86 mariner 90 hp inline 6. It is a bit ugly on this trailer and has been sitting, you know how that goes. Well other hull's I see like this the seller's always say its a old race hull. I dont know, thats why im asking ya'll. Too cool, thanks for any information, Mike PS, Its a 16'er
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6121_bigbear_5_25_07_013.jpg   pittcraft 009.jpg   shed mariner March 2010 153.jpg   shed mariner March 2010 145.jpg   shed mariner March 2010 161.jpg  

175hp Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like a conversion to me
    thos chips righ at the transom need to be fixed there throwing bubbles in the prop

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be a early Glastron Carlson , just a guess ??
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks very west coasty to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lopro sidewinder??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish you had some more pics of that Mariner. Love finding good examples of the inline sixes in that era.
    You never know what your faith is, until your faith has been truly tested.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Beats me what it is. I would toss the 90 on with no prob, if transom solid. And motor set up high enough so just what needed is in the water..should run 50's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are going to think im crazy but my plan it to run this 90hp Mariner on 2 boats. Im going to mount a jack plate to the transom's so the through bolts are sealed in the transom's and Ill run the remote cables over the splashwell and have the controls mounted with wing nuts. I guess Ill have to figure out the tach still. Anyways I can use a cherry picker to lift the motor with the controls still connected off of the jack plate and simply drag the cherry picker to the other boat and jack plate, hook up the steering, mount and bolt the motor on and then bolt the control on with the wing nut and plug in the fuel tank. I want to have it dialed in so it will take less then 30 minutes. I have a cmc maunal jack plate and am looking for a deal on another used one. I think the 90hp inline6 is a good hp/ motor to try my idea out. It has tilt and trim built into the motor. I am going to set up the motor to run on my g3 and have the option to pull the motor and mount it on this 16'er since this is a deep-v and can go through some pretty good chop. I may or may not use/need a jack plate on this hull though since the transom looks original I dont want to put all that extra strain on the transom by using the jack plate. I can make the through holes a little bit bigger but I can use epoxy to seal the though holes so the bolts can go through and be mounted with out water entering the transom wood....I hope this makes since.... I am going to do this and will have it dialed in I hope by next spring after I do the wood replacement on my glasspar g3.

Still would like to know if this boat is a copy or an original custom. It reminds me of this Donzi 16'er, Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVdBlgz7po

PS, Thanks for the tip on filling in the chips on the lower transom to prevent air bubbles from hitting the prop...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shed mariner March 2010 140.jpg   IMG_1558.JPG  
    Last edited by speedfoot; 09-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    175hp Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree, it looks like an early Glaston Carlson from the mid 60's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I know it looks ugly in these pics. The interior is being stored in the garage rafters. Just look at the hull it self and judge it by that and not the condition it;s in when these pics were taken 6 months ago. The hull is THICK, floor rock hard. You can wank on this hull/bow. It has a wide beam 92" and is only 16' long. Id like a newer white trailer/rims for this thing. The seats are back to back bench with space for the battery inbetween but the fuel tank used to go there years ago due to the fuel cap that is mounted near by. Gel coat is in great condition, metal flake on sides a bit faded.

So there you have it. Thanks for any more help in determining if this is a copy or not, Mike
    '
    PS I am on the west coast, lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shed mariner March 2010 155.jpg   shed mariner March 2010 149.jpg   shed mariner March 2010 147.jpg   shed mariner March 2010 158.jpg  
    Last edited by speedfoot; 09-04-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    175hp Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks sorta like a Rayson Craft in the one shot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    might wanna ask over on fiberglassics.com

THat thing has alot of familiar lines to it, but I don't remember ever seeing a Glastron quite like that one

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, I was gonna go out in the boat, but too damn windy and cool! Anyway..

That hull has a lot of lines, similar my flatbottom. Wide deck, old style metal trim..(gone on mine, took off, or was never there, as see zero screw holes inside, just glassed over outside deck wise anyway. But here the plot thickens. Thom..(Merc guru), had two he picked up. But not at the same time..(more that later). Don't know the whole story, but think were picked up a police auction...(not the way he got them though, private seller). Now they are older boats..(think), but maybe retitled as "Olson", later year. Don't take this as gospel....
    Anyway, came from Oregon, so we getting close here maker possible. I searched high and low net, and only came up with a few pix.
    But my hull is the same way. Thick, zero flex slamming a wake..(easy to tell a Flatty) only 2 stringers, and the deck is walkable easy, solid, very broad..but only 76 inch. Anyway, heres 2 pix..more to come here..

Attachment 216069Attachment 216070)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back to the story. Thom got one first, Flatty, single fin, no pad and straight chines, say 90 degree if I remember. Plain azz flat. XS on, tried it, but a porpoise witch to plane, and then pretty well not very stable at speed, as the trim tabs were a major problem, so he sold it. Swear, he goes through more boats a year, than most a lifetime!
    Anyway, heres a few pix him, and next post, I'll get to mine.

Attachment 216071Attachment 216072

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now to mine. I'm over at Thoms one day, BSing, and he finds another "Olson" Flatty . Its sitting upside down, outside. And before I forget, they are 15 foot 6, not 16. Is yers 16, or 15/6?
    So, boat sitting there, twin fins, but this one had a 8 inch pad, and one inch dropped chines..(air ride), and the most sexy upside down hull ever seen..(hope I never see that again!..water anyway). Well, $500 later, its in my shop, and he's gonna do a 135 for it. I have little problem porpoise, and ya feel the butt rise, on air, and the broad bow picks the front up nice, and will turn on a dime, now that I have the fixed trim tabs set right.
    Heres a few pix..see any hull similarities? And the last pic, have an 2 piece aluminum plate for the transom too, and two, middle stringers, full ribs to keep it from flexing...and I don't think a 300HP, would bend it. Sink it when dunked maybe, weight, but bet THAT would be a real ride!

Attachment 216073Attachment 216074Attachment 216075

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast