Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basic Question: What's the difference between L6 and V6 Merc LU's?

Just wondering, from an eyeball view, they look to be a match as far as bolting to the center section. I'm not able to actually put the two together because I only have inline stuff. Figured I'd ask you guys, ya always get me headed in the right direction.
    --Brian Chandler--
    Sunshine Syndicate Wiseguy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Alot

The first thing is the size the bolt patern is different and the gearratio's are different. Some of them use straight cut gears.The bullet is different size. Just about everything is different.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well...

I know a lwpu inline case will fit a V6 with only modifying the shift shaft. 2:1 gears, case diam same as XR v6 cases.

Will a CLE fit an inline? the rear of the cav plate will be longer than exhaust housing.

anyone else?

LR99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That answered that. Thanks Greg and Lake Racer.
    --Brian Chandler--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute. I think I have an inline on my OB. Is there any way of telling? I
    t's bolted on and doesn't match the mids profile.
    I also understood that this was a drag racers trick since the bullet is smaller.
    '90 STV
    '96 260
    under construction

for far too long

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Techno:
    Does the bolt for the trim tab thingy (above prop) go all the way through to the tab?
    I have seen guys run the older inline case on a V6 for drag racing. I was told they will not hold up to the torque of a V6. The bullet diameter is the same as the XR2,4,5 motor, so a few people run these.
    I see the XR6 cases with low H20 pick ups for sale a lot so, who knows how they run.
    If I have my choice of cases, I try to stick with a Sportmaster or CLE, something with a better bearing carrier and hardened gears.
    Good Luck,
    LR99

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just trying to figure out if I could pick up a V6 LU for my inline if disaster ever strikes(knock on wood) instead of having to hunt for another L6 piece. I'm half-heartedly looking for another LU to send off to have a LWP job done. I can keep playing while the other unit is getting fixed-up then swap and use the stock unit as a spare. Just a thought. I've got more ideas than money right now.
    --Brian Chandler--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is that all you want?

Hell i got some lower units from in-lines here. how many you want? Got a nice one here for $400 delivered to your door.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figures. I can't right now, but I'll keep you in mind Greg. I just dumped all the play money I had into a hull and the fixins to hang my 140 on it. Once I recover from the initial expense, I'll be huntin pieces parts.

Thanks man.
    --Brian Chandler--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also curious about what it would take to hang a v6 (maybe xr2/4) case on an inline? (to make a counter rotating inline)

-Hunter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Awright, some of this stuff posted isn't exactly right. First of all, the center four bolt pattern between the inline and the V6 are always the same bolt pattern. The front and rear are always different. The shift shaft is slightly out of line also and the driveshaft in the V6 is approx 3/4" longer. We used to run inline units on the early V6's by just removing the front stud, (and fixing the driveshaft length of course) but I wouldn't recommend it. The rear one doesn't line up either, but I can't recall what we did about it.........nothing complicated. Merc used to sell an inline case for the first V6's through High Perf with the front stud moved, the right lenght driveshaft and hardened 1.78 gears. Generally speaking the old inlines were either 1.78:1 or 2:1 although most of the 4 cyl 800/850 units which looked identical were 2.3:1, and of course you know most of the V6's are 1.87:1 or 2:1. As far as sticking a V6 unit on an inline the driveshaft would have to be shortened 3/4", the front stud would be the same problem in reverse and the shift shaft would have to be slightly offset the other way also. Seems like there's a difference in water tube length and of course the later high perf stuff would have the bigger tube also. In addition, the V6 unit is longer at the back in the area of the cavitation plate and mounting surface to the mid, but again an easy mod.