User Tag List

Page 65 of 99 FirstFirst ... 15 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Twister" ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    The "Twister II" drag boat was a light layup Carlson with a special low cockpit The motors were wide open exhaust Chryslers with McCulloch mids & lowers
    Thank you .....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stackers ..... I think this is correct

Quote Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
    The stacks in that photo look narrower than BP stacks for some reason....
    There weren't many stacked inlines back in the days of the early 1000's and 1100's. I think what we've learned is that the stacks (6 pipe) on the early 1000's and (3 pipe) on the 1100's were Quincy Welding products. All fabricated product, the cones were welded to the elbow and were a smaller finished diameter than those used later.

I think that Merc had Quincy make the stacks for the 1968 1250. At least we know that Dick Lanpheer said they were not built at the two cycle engineering facility (Plt.#6) in Oshkosh. They were also welded at the elbow, but used a larger cone. They had a miserable record for failure, breaking at the weld and cones falling off, just like you see in the picture posted by old fiberglass.

The 1250 SBP used the cast elbow with the same size cone as the 1250, but were held together with three large springs. Initially, the springs failed in bunches, but Merc finally got that figured out and the pipes stayed together quite well. These were the elbows that were modified to accept the water injection nozzles.

I think that's why the pipes in the picture look slightly different. They are the fabricated pipes for the 1250, not the cast product that was used on so many of the boats running with 1250 SBP's (1350's) back in 69, 70 and 71.

Don't know what you can really see in these pics, but it's the best I could do to try to show the stacker configurations from the six pipe to the water injected SBP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ray Block Parker 67 (2).jpg   Schoonover 1967.jpg   Power Boat Mag 112.jpg   wet&wild06.jpg   Havasu 1970 058.jpg  

Last edited by willabee; 11-26-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Ad seems like a poke at Mercury about no major modifications with all the stuff they were coming out with at the time.
    its not an ad...its an article about the more subtle changes made by all motor manufacturers for that model year....
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    its not an ad...its an article about the more subtle changes made by all motor manufacturers for that model year....
    Ok, got it thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    There weren't many stacked inlines back in the days of the early 1000's and 1100's. I think what we've learned is that the stacks (6 pipe) on the early 1000's and (3 pipe) on the 1100's were Quincy Welding products. All fabricated product, the cones were welded to the elbow and were a smaller finished diameter than those used later.

I think that Merc had Quincy make the stacks for the 1968 1250. At least we know that Dick Lanpheer said they were not built at the two cycle engineering facility (Plt.#6) in Oshkosh. They were also welded at the elbow, but used a larger cone. They had a miserable record for failure, breaking at the weld and cones falling off, just like you see in the picture posted by old fiberglass.

The 1250 SBP used the cast elbow with the same size cone as the 1250, but were held together with three large springs. Initially, the springs failed in bunches, but Merc finally got that figured out and the pipes stayed together quite well. These were the elbows that were modified to accept the water injection nozzles.

I think that's why the pipes in the picture look slightly different. They are the fabricated pipes for the 1250, not the cast product that was used on so many of the boats running with 1250 SBP's (1350's) back in 69, 70 and 71.

Don't know what you can really see in these pics, but it's the best I could do to try to show the stacker configurations from the six pipe to the water injected SBP.
    Good info and picture overview. The 6 pipers were heavy beasts.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Kiekhaefer lured O.F. Christner away from his Quincy Welding shop in 1967 to work on tuned exhaust directly for Mercury, just before the BP appeared. The BP stacks were definitely in house at Mercury, somewhere. It will be very hard to convince me that OF isn't the man behind the factory designed and built BP stacks and the water injection.

Quincy Welding's catalog showed stacks for 89ci and 60/66ci inlines as well as the 20/22 twins and 40/44 4's. There were several generations of pipes for the smaller motors, but they are all pretty easy to identify as 'of the Quincy family'. The pipes on the 1100's are completely different from the Quincy made products; we can ask Gene East who welded for Quincy if they made them there, but I would bet not. The consistent quality of the welding done by Gene shows in his work. You can see it on the pieces the same way you can hear a particular musician's hand on the strings of a guitar. Same with the 6 pipe rigs on the 66 and 76ci motors running at Lake X in the early '60's ... nothing in common with the Quincy product from the dimensions, the design or execution.

I'm not sure there is a pic of any 89ci motor at Lake X with Quincy pipes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    The 6 pipers were heavy beasts.
    The steel 3 pipe rigs for 60's are heavy enough ... hard to imagine what 6 would weigh. In the interest of weight reduction, Quincy switched to all aluminum in the middle '60's; that's another thing that points me away from the 1100 stacks being a Quincy product. On their legendary "Looper" motor Quincy and others like Lon Stevens had also moved away from one piece stacks to a header with separate cones to reduce fatigue of the header. I can't see Quincy going backwards in design for the 1100 unless it was spec'd by Carl himself. Could have been, stranger things happened.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the 800's came out, the Lake X crew brought down 3 Powercat Bubble Cats to run the Around Miami Beach Race. Johnny Bakos, Odell Lewis and Chuck Mersereau were the drivers. They all had 800 Stackers on them, 6 stacks each motor with the springs. This was around 1960-61. They put them in at the Miami Outboard Club, and made the most beautiful noise milling around before the start. I don't think they all finished. Dave Craig wanted a couple sets but he had to settle for Quincys. Quincy's were 6 pipe, solid pipes. I put the two sets on Dave's 800's. I also got a set from Quincy. I think there was only one other set of the spring pipes at the lake, on a black and yellow bubble cat that was also Chucks. I saw that one at the Lake. Chuck said it ran "over 85". There was also a magazine article about the boats, stackers, and Chuck. I only have two pages left of the article, the others were lost in a flood in my shop, and i have never been able to find the magazine. Chuck then put a set of the motors on a 15 foot Power Cat #40, that had to be the winningest Power Cat ever. That was sold to Bugger Red with the stackers. I got to run it at Blue Ridge Georgia. I never found out who made the stacks. There couldn't have been many made for Mercury because Dave Craig couldn't get any, and Dave was Mr. K's main man. He drove every wooden Switzer Wing made, three of them in races. I never saw any of the pipes, Merc or Quincy fail, but I am sure some did. I have a picture of the black and yellow cat and part of the article. I will post in a couple days. I don't think the Quincys weighed more than 15-20 pounds. Maybe if someone still has a set they could weigh them. Remember, 20 pounds when you are 20 is a lot less than when you are over 70.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quincy Welding .....

Kiekhaefer lured O.F. Christner away from his Quincy Welding shop in 1967 to work on tuned exhaust directly for Mercury, just before the BP appeared. The BP stacks were definitely in house at Mercury, somewhere. It will be very hard to convince me that OF isn't the man behind the factory designed and built BP stacks and the water injection.

..... The pipes on the 1100's are completely different from the Quincy made products; we can ask Gene East who welded for Quincy if they made them there, but I would bet not.
    I was the test driver from the beginning to end for the development of the water injection system. Pretty sure that took place in 1969. I recall hearing the name O.L. Christner being connected to that project. However, I don't recall ever meeting the man or seeing him at any of the on water tests. Since he was the owner of Quincy Welding, if he was there, it must have been for a specific project and then went back to his own business.

About a year ago, I did talk to Gene East about producing stacks. You can find the conversation on BRF, Outboard Racing History, "About Wings". He said that Quincy Welding "ported, balanced and piped" the six pipe inlines you see pictured below. He went on to say "We made a lot of pipes, even some of the factory pipes were contracted to Q.W." That statement doesn't tell us conclusively that they were for the 1100, but it sure appears that way to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ray Block Parker 67 (2).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I may owe you lunch.

O.F. took a leave of absence from Illinois to work directly for Mercury for something like 2 ½ years. The exact timing is on his son Paul's site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wrong about the 60-61 stacks having springs. I remembered they didn't. The difference between the Mercury and Quincy stacks were Mercury's were longer and of thinner material than Quincy's. Here are pictures of the Quincy's on a Raveau, and the Mercury's on Chuck's black and yellow cat. I think the article came from Outdoors Magazine May 1961. It was published monthly by the Kiekhaefer Corp.and sent to dealers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails article (3).jpg   article (2).jpg   article (1).jpg   sportmaster 001.jpg  
    Last edited by lilabner; 11-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "Twister II" drag boat was a light layup Carlson with a special low cockpit The motors were wide open exhaust Chryslers with McCulloch mids & lowers
    Ted Boyd has an amazing collection of pictures---thanks 'Shadowcat'---

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 12-01-2014 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 3 stack set up on the 1100 stacker I have are all stainless, elbows and cones.. The cones are brazed not welded to the elbows and the entire stack assembly is very very light.
    Stainless is only .040 thick on the cones. My 2 cents worth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    few pics of the set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 stacks after polish 2.jpg   3 stacks business end.jpg   3 stacks business end 2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked to Dick Snyder about the early pipes some time ago and he indicated that plant 6 built a small number of these mostly 3 pipe but there were several 6 pipes. If any of you know Dick this started out as a little short discussion but went on to become a lengthy dissertation on Mercury's racing efforts. Where this went was his story on how Roy got a three pipe engine to run on the 888 Molinari for the 66 Gold Coast Marathon. I believe he said that Dave Craig blew a wing over at Lake X testing and damaged the boat and engines. Apparently Roy convinced Mr. K to let him repair one of the engines so he could run it on the Molinari. Dick indicated that Mr. K was not real keen on the deal but did let him do it. Dick said he followed the race from the air with Mr. K and watched Roy win the single engine class and I believe he said was the first place outboard and fourth overall.

Page 65 of 99 FirstFirst ... 15 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... LastLast