User Tag List

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well guys,
    By now, you know I was posting on that "other" site for a while.
    I guess I really thought they were really interested in v-drive boats, but I was sorely mistaken.
    The lesson learned will help tremendously to guide the Stevens site.
    I remain, as always, a true enthusiast of the genre, not just the Stevens make, but all of the hot inboards of the heyday. I hope to talk to you "real" guys soon. Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
    Well guys,
    By now, you know I was posting on that "other" site for a while.
    I guess I really thought they were really interested in v-drive boats, but I was sorely mistaken.
    The lesson learned will help tremendously to guide the Stevens site.
    I remain, as always, a true enthusiast of the genre, not just the Stevens make, but all of the hot inboards of the heyday. I hope to talk to you "real" guys soon. Spike
    I'm not sure what transpired on the other site that makes you think they are not intereseted in v-drive boats, but I can assure you that is as far from the truth as saying a man that walks on stage in an apron and boxers while a band is playing is not interested in music. You're knowlege on these boats is a welcome addition to any site you join, but I think you took something wrong somewhere. I watch a lot of sites and post on a few. The one thing I've learned is there is a lot of pride on these types of sites, both for personal knowlege and accomplishments as well as what some have come to own. I'd take what ever upset you with a grain of salt and just accept people will always be people no matter where they post. I know my 68 stevens is a long way from hitting the water, so I just sit back and learn as I read. Hope to see you around some of the other forums as well as this one. SnoC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnoC653,
    Good to hear from you. Actually, your point is well taken, and I appreciate your candor with all sincerity. What you say, is true. People will always be who they are, and I certainly can't, nor will I attempt, to change anyone.
    But, clearly, that other site was not the right place for me. I do know that I, and so many others that have contacted me, are not in the minority .
    There's an overwhelming majority of interested inboard enthusiasts who are hungry for more information, maybe some history, and some guidance, from someone who would give a straight answer or point them in the right direction.
    I'm more comfortable with that crowd. Spike

(Touche' on the apron comment, ah, show business...)
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 08-25-2008 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey spike hows the mortitian coming along?
    does anyone know where a young guy could get one stevens badge for his 18' silouette?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey brad,
    The Mortition is coming along, albeit slowly, but, you do what you can do.....
    I don't have any extra Stevens name plates, nor do i know of anyone who has any extra. However, I have always thought that there is a need out there for the Stevens, and other makes of out of production nameplates. I had to make new "Hallett" nameplates when I did a Hallett some years back, so I am aware of where to get them done. Maybe I should.....
    Go on the internet and click on The Classic V-Drive Club of America. Contact Brian Lynch, and see if he will give you Steve McElroy's number. Steve may have some in a drawer somewhere. Steve has a lot of good new and used marine parts, and the price is right.
    Best of luck with your boat project.
    Always, Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the name dropping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
    O.K., so I won't post the entire damn thing, but, there's lots more...
    i wouldnt mind if you posted the whole cataloge, i found a COPY on e-bay but it was way out of my price range.
    im like a sponge, anytime i get a new toy i try to learn as much about it as i can, i cant wait till you get your website up and running (put me in line for a sticker and a couple of t-shirts).
    living in missouri i dont get a chance to go to boat shows that arrent filled with bass boats pontoons and jetskis, so the internet is about my only source of information inspiration and ideas.
    i really like the spirit of your restorations (looks like you have been raiding moon's sticker bin), these boats are an awesome way to display/use old speed equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stevens 1.jpg   stevens 2.jpg   stevens 3.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad Man,
    There's no need to buy a Catalog on E-Bay. I'm more than happy to help out . If you sent me a "Private Message" through this site, leave me a mailing address. I have the entire Stevens Catalog on a disc.
    As long as you promise to send it back (I know, I need to make more copies...), I'll send it to you to download into your computer files. You'll always have it to look at. If you have a printer, you can kinda assemble a "catalog" of your own, or print out any favorite picture whenever you want!
    A lot of people have expressed interest in this.
    By the way, I dig your boat. The Edelbrock manifolds are fairly sought after pieces. I can't be sure of the design,from the picture, but it looks like you have a "swallow tail" style target. The "swallow tail" side spear design. or "target", as Stevens called it, was popular , but you don't see as much of that as other designs, which just makes your hull a bit special . Looks like you have an 18' Silhouette with a 'Vette for power.....neat! Does the boat have a name? Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my boat does have the "swallow tail" target, but the metal flake paint doesnt look so great from less than 50ft, when i win the lottery i was planning on gold metalflake deck, black hull, gold flake target, and then naming the boat "fools gold". im planning on keeping it a clean ski boat, the interior needs redone and the engine could use some paint, i was planning on doing those this winter, but i planned on doing that last winter also. let the paint slide for a few years, everybody is going for that patina look right now anyways, lucky me!
    i didnt know my manifolds were sought after, i would never assume a part for a sbc that a large company like edelbrock made would be rare, i love knowing stuff like that.
    as far as i can tell the engine is a 63 300 horse 327, with the 7 fin vette valvecovers (has casting flaw, not repro), old edelbrock intake (breather tube) edelbrock front mounting plate, chrome generator, old dual point distributor, flame arrestor that i have only seen in the "hot rod" august 66? 'boat' issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad,
    I've not done this personally, but the boat shops tell me many times you can bring an old faded metalflake finish back, by having a colored see-thru "toner" shot over it to bring the color back to the metalflake, then giving it a nice clear coat over that. Say, if your flake was gold, you shoot a translucent gold tone over it then clear coat. Today's clear coats can even be had with UV blockers added, and the polyurethanes are real durable . Sure beats the cost of a total re-paint or re-flake.
    By the way, the Mortician is black, with a gold metalflake target, and has two '63 327s out of Corvettes, like what you're talking about but with another engine.
    Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1849Mortician Jeep.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad,
    Here's the two pages out of the catalog that show the standard Stevens "targets", yours is #7........................ Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 020.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 021.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont talk me out of changing my boats color$, lol. that brown and gold flake just arrent cutting it together. i was thinking about getting out the buffer this weekend and seeing what i can do about the finish.

looks like my swallow tail isnt as "deep" as the one pictured.

i noticed that the fiberglass decked boats the deck mounts above the hull, and the wood decked boats the deck is mounted below the hull. so if i pull up my fiberglass deck will i find some nice hardwood floors?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swallow tail 1.jpg   interior.jpg   tow rig.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad,
    No, you won't find a wood deck under your 'glass deck. The Silhouette models have a deck that is set down onto the hull after the hull is molded. It sits about 3 or 4 inches in from the edge all around, and is glassed on from underneath. There is plywood reinforcement, and some wood stringers glassed under the deck, but the deck is all fibreglass.
    You are correct, most wood decks do have a raised edge.
    I have a '63 model 17' SK Skiier that also is made with the raised edge, but that deck cap is also part of the top of the hull, and required painting around the edge, or, "picture frame", as some people call it, from the top edge of the target , up and over the edge on top.
    It's just the different way Stevens did the Skiiers, verses the Silhouette models.
    I noticed in your pictures that you also have a Borg-Warner Velvet Drive. Those were very popular too. Nice truck as well!
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all.....
    It looks as though It's finally here, a book that many of us have either been waiting for, or at very least, interested in reading.
    "Drag Boats of the Sixties", a new book written by Don Edwards(blown gas hydro record holder in Golden Komotion), Barry McCowan(blown fuel hydro record holder in Banzai), and APBA Historic writer and enthusiast Bob Silva.........have worked hard on a first of it's kind book of pictorial history presenting many of the people and their wonderfull, colorfull drag boats, from the sixties.
    This book is a MUST READ for anyone who likes hot inboards, or calls himself a boat freak.
    It can be ordered through Amazon.com, or at your local book emporium, or through Motorbooks, in Burbank, Calif.
    There is going to be a book signing event at the Autobooks/Aerobooks store,(in Burbank) on Saturday, October 4th, where a handfull of dragboat racers from the sixties will be there to sign your book, and display many of the built- to- boogie 60's drag boats, that are still with us. They may even light a few off......................
    Anyway, if you're in the area, make the scene, but check out this book whatever you do!
    Spike
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 09-14-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: book store name was incorrect

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Book Signing

Hello Spike.
    E-Mail me the directions to the book signing. I may be able to bring my new '58 Mandella. It would be nice to bring Rozzie Bartons '55 Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speed ski boat. Rozzie was from Burbank.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Directions

Hi Harlan!,
    Give me a few days to get the directions to you. I live in the Valley, so I know how to get there, having been there before, but I can't tell you the street by street directions off the top of my head, but I will get them for you.
    I know people would dig those Mandellas, as well as meeting you too!
    By the way, I'm still waiting on a price from the guy who has the Flathead Ford engine for you............................
    Spike

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast