User Tag List

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike i posted this thread on v-driveboat hopefully someone can help you out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pancho,
    So, tell me what it's like to have a hot Stevens, a second boat for fishing and crusing around, and a lake in your back yard! Sounds like a slice of heaven to me !
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m loving it! the reality is right now the Stevens is half put together (new port stringer) and the other is just a clean old (1985) little fishing boat.Our lake isnt all that big so mostly idle around at night visiting and cast a line out once in a while,wife says its an excuse to drink beer with my buds on the lake. That being said the only way i would sell would be to get another dirt and water set up with a shop not having a garage sucks big time. Recovering from knee surgery right now so kneeling in the flat aint gonna happen real soon and might be a winter project. Check out this link its got a bunch of pics from the Burley race this weekend.

http://www.v-driveboat.com/vweb/showthread.php?t=444
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0611.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pancho,
    It sounds really calming, it's been a dream of mine to live on a river or lake, with a little cottage style house.
    Last month, when we were up at Bass Lake with the Classic V-Drive Club, there was a bar-b-que at Larry Schwabenland's cabin,( he of Fuel Flatbottom and Fuel Hydro fame for Sanger Boats). I don't really know him well but my wife and I were invited because I'm friends with many other racers and boat people from the glory days of hot inboards.
    Schwabenland's cabin is right on the water, shade trees, gardens, a nice dock with room for maybe three boats, a patio area on the shore that's raised above the water. the interior and exterior of this place was so comfortable and beconing .it's hard to adequately describe. Both my wife and I agreed that this is what we'd want too.
    Add to that, hanging out with a small version of who's-who in boating. Harlan Orrin, Ted Phillips, Barry McCowan,Don Edwards,the owner of Lifeline Jackets, whose name isn't coming to me right now.sorry, and on and on. Lots of big names whom I'd never met, along with our wives, and it was a real nice time. I should have taken pictures.
    Friends, food, boats, and living on the water, do I really have to go back to work in the city every day, damn.
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leadsled, Pancho, and any Stevens owner!
    Before I forget, if you're interested, I reproduce a number of things for the Stevens enthusiast. I have the Stevens factory decal(sticker)black and white with checkered flags that says "Stevens High Performance Boats', a small amount of Vance trailer model I.D. data plates, and the old N.D.B.A. round drag boat association stickers.
    Hopefully, I'd like to make new die-cast chromed "Stevens" emblems that attach to the hull for restorers. When I restored that Hallett years ago, I was missing those emblems, so a friend lent me a donor to have a mold made, and I had two new perfect Hallett emblems made for that project. So, I have some experience in getting that emblem deal going.
    Speaking of that, did you know that you can still get brand new Stevens High Performance Boats T-shirts, exactly like the factory sold in the sixties, from the ORIGINAL manufacturer? They're perfect!
    I will be advertising them on the Stevens site as well, but you'll buy direct. The company is called Loporchio's Screening, and they made the t-shirts for Stevens , and many other boat companys. I can shoot you their phone # and address if youre interested.
    There's lots of other neat stuff in the works too!
    Spike
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 11-03-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign me up on the shirt deal for sure got the deck overlooking the water and its my favorite part of the house. Lucky you to go to a get together with such legends SoCal style how neat! Used to hang with circle guys in the NW and at night around the fire is when the stories would start and i could just listen for hours of all the hijinks and what not from days gone by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 009.jpg   007.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pancho,
    You can order t-shirts direct,
    Loporchios Silkscreening
    4136 Verdugo Road
    Los Angeles, Cal. 90065
    Ph: (323)258-6459

Here's a page out of the Stevens catalog (around 1970), showing the t-shirt. There's a mention of the stickers on the same page too.
    Also, check out the 17' Skiier (for you and Leadsled). I can post any picture from the catalog(77 pages) of any model they made if you want to look at it.
    Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 008.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 071.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
    Pancho,
    You can order t-shirts direct,
    Loporchios Silkscreening
    4136 Verdugo Road
    Los Angeles, Cal. 90065
    Ph: (323)258-6459

Here's a page out of the Stevens catalog (around 1970), showing the t-shirt. There's a mention of the stickers on the same page too.
    Also, check out the 17' Skiier (for you and Leadsled). I can post any picture from the catalog(77 pages) of any model they made if you want to look at it.
    Spike
    Cool, I love the old catalogs. I don't know what's in it to ask for, so post away!

Here's a link to the Loporchios website, you can order on-line.
    http://www.loporchios.com/main.htm
    I just ordered mine, thanks for the leed, Spike.

I've been down to the lake every day the last couple of weekends...I'm lovin that Stevens!!
    Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lead Sled,
    Glad to be of help. It's all about helping each other, sharing info, and letting other Stevens boat owners know we're into it.
    I am so envious of the amount of seat time you're getting in your boat, as my ski- boat is still in restoration, but look out when I'm done!
    Post away? O.K., here's a few more interesting pages....
    Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 001.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 002.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 003.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And a few more.............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 007.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 014.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 015.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And these are nice......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 027.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 028.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 029.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.K., so I won't post the entire damn thing, but, there's lots more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 015.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 049.jpg   April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 046.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
    O.K., so I won't post the entire damn thing, but, there's lots more...
    Excellant, Spike, thanks for posting.
    It's always been car hot rod stuff hanging on the walls in my shop, but these will make a nice addition...they'll be hanging in the garage by tomorrow!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics Spike. That Californian is beautiful and look at the ride attitude looks like a perfect set. Thanks for the heads up on the shirts keith and i will be looking good on the beach.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pancho,
    You guys are welcome. Those are nice t-shirts, suitable for all formal ocasions as well.........................
    You mentioned the "Californian". I've known Tom Archibald's name name for years, because of the boat, but never met him. A couple of years ago, at a Classic V-Drive Club event, we run into each other and end up talking about his boat, his racing days, a new day cruiser he's building for himself, etc.
    I asked him if he had any photos of the Californian boat that I might have, to post on the Stevens website, with a write-up on it.
    He told me that he USED TO have all sorts of photos, trophys, articles from magazines, etc., but that he is divorced from the woman he was married to at that time, and during the divorce, she threw out, or got rid of all of his boat stuff!
    Man, that's reason enough right there to justify being divorced from any woman in my book!!!!!!!!!!
    About the boat though, If you look at the picture, you'll notice that the hull has exhaust trumpets coming out the transom. Tom probably didn't buy the boat to drag race originally, but capped the trumpets off internally when the blown Chrysler was built for it. Also, the boat has a very deluxe wood deck.
    In the sixties, if you were building a custom hot inboard, you hadn't really gone all the way unless you had a wood deck. It was, and is, a majorly classy touch, even though on a race boat. Most drag racers today wouldn't even think of adding a wood deck because of the added weight, the same with metalflake, it adds weight and racers today opt for color in the gel coat only because even paint is a few pounds of unnecessary baggage to them.
    But, a wood deck can be a blessing, depending on what kind of a set-up you have in your boat. If you have a hot ski boat, with the engine all the way in the back, it planes sort of tail heavy, but a wood deck's weight can balance out the engine bias to the rear. Tom Archibald's boat was a very short 16' with a big Hemi in back. The deck was unknowingly a smart addition to it's ride quality.
    The "Mortician" that I'm restoring is the same story. It's got twice the engine weight of a normal boat, all pushed to the rear, but it set 5 world records and beat the best that would run against it. I'm convinced that the wood deck saved it from blowing it's nose over.
    Rudy Ramos used to race marathons in his Rayson-Craft( he owned Rayson-Craft), and his boat had a wood deck . Between the weight of two extra large fuel tanks full of gas, and the deck, he balanced that boat and kept it on the water while racing over whitecaps.
    Just something to think about...... Spike

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast