User Tag List

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Different Rears?

Hello to all Stevens fans! Below there is a rear pic of Leadsleds Stevens & another rear Stevens for comparison. I love how Sleds tumble-home "curls" up around transom smoothly. The other Stevens has a trim piece, if you took that trim piece off would it be smooth also or would there be a body line from bow to transom? Are these 2 Stevens the same hulls styles? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ledsleds rear.jpg   steves stevens.jpg  
    Last edited by lonr; 01-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stevens hulls

Lonr,
    Both boats , as best as I can tell, look like 17' SK Skiers, (as opposed to 17' Silhouettes, another Stevens hull type).
    The difference may be that Leadsled's boat may have had a wood deck, that was painted over. This would allow the deck builder to shape the roll of the transom as he pleased. Every wood deck man shapes his decks, (and afterdecks), different than the next builder. This is one of the things that makes wood decks unique. However, it is also possible that Leadsled's hull was originally ordered with a fibreglass deck, and a solid color painted over the deck/hull seam, going around the nose and tapering down to the cav plate. I've heard this painted edge refered to as the "picture frame", or "window frame".It's really part of the "target" mostly. I guess it's as good a name as any.
    Anyway, painting the seam allows the hull builder to sand down, and more softly mold the deck/hull parting line together to some degree.
    The other hull pictured has a fibreglass deck and hull, but molded in metalflake as it's finished look. If the buyer didn't specify a painted seam, or a "target" design that would cover the seam, it was finished with the aluminum piece covering the parting line, and there was no attempt to re-shape the transom roll.
    The Stevens "Silhouette" style hull, in 17' and 18' models, has a one piece hull bottom, molded up around the sides. The mold was bolted together with the seam running right down the center of the hull over the nose, back under the center of the hull, and up the center of the transom. The deck was glassed on to the hull on top, and is raised approximately 3/8" all around. "Silhouettes" have the soft rounded transom regardless of wood, or 'glass deck ordered.
    It's possible that the hull in the second photo is an earlier hull/mold style as well.
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 01-12-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike, Thanks for the detailed schooling on the Stevens hulls. Your reply and time is very appreciated, will see when I get it what I got!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lonr,
    I thought I'd include these shots just because they're in my computer for you. Enlarge them to really see them.
    The page with the !7' SK-Skier shows an all 'glass hull on top. The picture is a bit washed out but you can make out the aluminum trim line on the top boat. The bottom boat has a wood deck, complete with a centerdeck. although this shot doesn't show a transom as rounded as Leadsled's, it could be just the difference between how one guy shapes his afterdeck from the next guy. The hull's deck seam is hidden under the white paint that goes from the exposed wood, to the top of the "target" on the side.
    The page with the SK-Silhouette (2" lower freeboard and a sharper nose), shows the wood deck on top, and the 'glass deck model on the bottom. You can see the rounded transoms of the Silhouettes.
    What's even cooler, is what Stevens is powering these beauties with. The SK-Skiers show a Nailhead Buick with 3 twos, and a 348/409 with dual quads. The Silhouettes show a Pontiac with dual quads on top, and a big 390/406/427 Ford with dual quads bottom. It's what the sixties were all about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steven's Catalog 008.jpg   Steven's Catalog 009.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the '63 Stevens I found does have a 364 Buick and all original hardware...........
    Thanks again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already have a glass deck can you simply (bad choice of words) screw, glue, epoxy, etc a wood deck onto it? Someone write a teck on doing this yet?
    Or do you take the deck off and build wood supports under the wood deck? Just curious ........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lonr,
    Just to shed some light on your concerns about wood decks, certainly, you can always have an existing wood deck "re-done".
    You can just as well have a wood deck built on any existing 'glass deck hull, in fact, most wood deck hulls, since maybe the early sixties, are built on a fibreglass hull to start with. The existing 'glass deck is merely cut off leaving a "boat-shaped" bathtub of a hull bottom, the edges and framework are built in place, and the deck is built onto that. The process is amazing.
    I'd like to think of myself as pretty darned handy, and mechanically talented, but after seeing what a wood deck guy knows how to do, I emphatically recommend leaving any wood deck work to the pros. They just make it look easy, and it's done right.
    It's an art. Wood deck guys are the "rockstars" of the boat building world.
    I personally know a guy, Harlan Orrin, who's been doing wood decks, designing hulls, you name it, since I guess the early sixties, maybe earlier. You can contact him online at woodboatharlan@aol.com
    Harlan does lots of work for private customers, as well as major boat companies like Schiada, Aqua-Craft, Mandella, Stevens, etc. I see him now and again, he's a very personable fellow, and I respect him a great deal. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you picked his brain with these questions. (Tell him Spike sent you) He can probably send you pictures of how it's done, boats he's done.
    Whether or not you talk to Harlan,John Miller Boats, Jim Miller at Miller Custom Boats, Clayton John , do search out a wood guy if you're interested. They're all some talented guys who do this stuff, and it's a real education.
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 01-13-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: names

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bondo Billy started this thread many pages ago but I am a nubee to this so I hope it isn't considered "hijacking" if I keep going. My reasons for asking these questions is that I have always been drawn toward wood boats ever since I sat on my grandpas knee watching the Gold Cup in Seattle in the mid '50z. Now at 61 years old it's time to dive in before I die. I have an old 19' double cockpit woody nobody can ID, have '70 Super Sidewinder I/O that needs resto, buying a '63 Stevens with a NailHead Buick that needs it all, so just trying to get all info possible on a direction to take with each. Rite know I am trading labor on a '39 Willys P/U (I build cars) for a friend to build me a 280 shovel nose Lloyd hydro from the late '60z so I am spread way out in alot of different direction on a 6 pack budget! Yes, I run into Orrins name everywhere I go on the net, think I will contact him as you say and see if he can "get me on tract"! Thanks, Lon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonr View Post
    Well the '63 Stevens I found does have a 364 Buick and all original hardware...........
    Thanks again!
    Where?...You mention the gold cup.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancho View Post
    Where?...You mention the gold cup.
    Lived off and on in Seattle, been in Eastern Wa. Wenatchee/Peshastin/Leavenworth area since '75 ...........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lonr, Grew up in Seattle in the 60's going to Seafair,Father was into racing and boat building,mostly mandellas and rayson craft,ever hurd of the Skaggs Regatta on Samamish,named after Bill Skaggs who died in a high MPG test with proto hydro i believe it was early 70's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry that should be MPH

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean the Sammamish Slough races? If so I did that once!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lonr View Post
    Lived off and on in Seattle, been in Eastern Wa. Wenatchee/Peshastin/Leavenworth area since '75 ...........
    My boat came from Cashmere.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancho View Post
    My boat came from Cashmere.
    There was a flat bottom at A J's Body Shop, Alan Jeffery's, in Cashmere I lost track of................

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast