User Tag List

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matty astrella View Post
    g,day fellas
    does anybody know of 7 stevens flatbottom SK,s coming to australia in 1971?
    my dad bought a hull off a yanky bloke back then and put the boat together over a twelve month period.very cool boat.we still own it today and its a good runner.
    thanks matt.
    There has to be a good story here. Try posting on this site lots of old school racers hang out.
    http://www.performanceboats.com/html...splay.php?f=34

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeike View Post
    I own this '58 Stevens Hull #132 bought by my Dad in '67. It has a nailhead buick and 3 holly 2's on an offy intake. Rebuilt and rigged 3 years ago. I think I saw somewhere back in the thread that these boats are making a comeback. Obviously not very practical for a family ski boat, but that's what I grew up with and so are are my kids now. No matter where we go there's no chance that anyone else will have something similar, especially here in Washington state.

Stevens july2106 009.jpg
    Nice boat!..........My boat was in Wenatchee for 39 years before i brought it back east, might have crossed paths at some point.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spikeike,
    Your '58 Stevens is way up there on the cool meter.
    I'm not sure why you don't think it's a very practical ski boat, 'cause that's exactly what it is....a ski boat.
    You said you grew up with it (got it from your Dad), so you must have skiied with it.
    However, I understand if you don't want to thrash a family heirloom any more than you have to. It is beautiful.
    It appears to have a bench seat in front (seating for three), and I can't tell if there are seats facing rearward by the engine, which would seat two more.
    It probably wouldn't be practical if .............you had six kids more than it can hold, and you have to take them ALL every time the boat goes for a ride,..... or if you need a boat that will accomodate both your golden retriever and your two black labs and Herbert the Cockatiel,..... or your wife won't go for a ride without taking her mother along too(don't forget their purses, sun hats, sunscreen kits,etc.),..... or if the boat only has a three gallon gas tank, .....or if you forgot to put a fuel pressure regulator in line to the carbs and the carbs flood over constantly and catch fire and you're tired of recharging your extinguisher and spending an entire weekend cleaning the powder out of your boat,..... or your "Irritable Bowel Syndrome" and driving a flatbottom in rough water doesn't work for you ,..... or it's just too hard to hear your favorite "Eminem" CD over the sound of the exhausts,..... or driving with your face into the wind keeps messing with your "comb-over", .....or the only one in the family who knows how to ski is cousin Cindy, and she's so fat that if she falls skiing there's NO WAY she could manage getting back into the boat in deep water........................spikeike,no disrespect intended,forgive me, I'm just having fun here.
    Seriously, really a nice boat. Love to see more of it.
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 07-27-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ls1velle,
    Would it be possible for you to post, or PM me, a photo of either the data plate or handwritten number, (whichever your boat has), of your '73 Stevens for my records? Thanks, Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long beach

Hello Spike
    I look foreward to seeing you and the MORTICIAN at Long Beach. Ken Bewick called. He will have MISS CALIFORNIA at LONG BEACH. Dave Sammons will drive it for the National Anthem.
    Ken may bring the newly restored crackerbox hull ORANGE CRATE P-6.
    HARLAN ORRIN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Harlan!
    Long Beach should be fun, and I live relatively close to the event,(45 minutes away), which makes it even better.
    I don't think I've seen Kenny for a few years, I believe at the Drags at Lake Ming in Bakersfield, where Kenny had his circle race hydro doing a few laps for the crowds.
    We should all bring our cameras next week (I'd be the first to forget, knowing me....).
    Any leads as to finding the "Homewrecker"?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homewrecker

After racing the HOMEWRECKER 99-F as a UGH drag boat for 1 1/2 years undefeated, I sold it in 1967. The new owner raced it unsuccessfully. Uncle Sam invited him to go to V-N. His dad sold the boat around 1970. The buyer was in the LAX area. The buyer, Dan Baumgart, contacted me with no further information. Unfortunatly wood hydroplanes do not last outside.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike, in your vast collection of Steven's data, would you have any lists of who was racing Stevens in APBA in the mid to late 60s and where they were from? Now that I finally have a shop to work on the boats, I started on my 17' Stevens which is supposed to be a 68. Just trying to see if I can figure out who raced it and what it looked like back in the day. I think the owner would have been from the midwest around Davenport, Iowa.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnoC653,
    I can send you what pictures I may have from a Stevens Catalog of the race boats that they included photos of in their catalog, but other than that, I'm afraid I don't have a difinative accounting.
    However, quite possibly, there's a historian with the APBA, or SCSC, (Southern California Speedboat Club), that might have a listing in old programs and such that would tell who drove what kind of hull in the races. They may have to go through a whole pile of programs.
    I've always said, that restoring an old hot inboard is like an archieological dig ,trying to piece together the history of something's former glory to get a clear picture of what it is you've got.
    Racing in Iowa.....hmmmm
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 09-13-2009 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, That would be great. I'm going to go through the old Propeller Magazines my dad has saved in the garage next time I go home. If I can't figure out what it was, I'll just build it back to how it should have been mechanically and then just paint it something that would have been period correct. I asked this question over on the performance boats site and the answers range from nobody knows to it's not even a Stevens. Here are a couple pics of it as it sat when I bought it. I was thinking it was a 17' Silhouette but the boat came with the bulkhead that goes behind the front seat. The guy I bought it from removed it (or so he said) but, had it in the pile of parts for the boat still. He also was the one that built the ugly boxes for the seats to sit on (which i've already removed) and painted the boat that ugly green.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnoC653,
    I believe your hull may be a "17' SK Skiier" model, by the looks of your photos. The "Silhouette" model is a bit lower in profile, and the SK Skiier has a more angular line at the transom, where the sides curve up to the deck, like yours.
    It appears that your hull was equipped with an adjustable cav plate (nice option), and that the engines exhausts went over the transom. Since your hull has obviously been painted, check the inside of the hull to see if the exhaust port holes were possibly filled before painting, or if the hull came with out exhaust trumpet holes. Most purpose built race boats would probably not have through-hull exhausts, although I have lots of photos of guys who did, so read into that what you will.
    The earlier Stevens boats didn't have a data plate, or hull numbers molded into the hull. When a Stevens hull was being laid up in the mold, a worker hand wrote a hull number with a marks-a-lot on the plywood panel on the transom, inside the boat, upside-down, somewhere near the center of the panel. The panel then was 'glassed in, right over the number, and can be clearly seen through the resin.
    I don't have a factory accounting of who bought what, or how it was equipped, or when by hull number. That info may only have been something Mack and Mary themselves could have kept.
    Did you get the die cast "Stevens "emblems that go on the gunwales, with the boat?
    Here are two pages from the catalog. One is the SK-Skiier, the other is a Silhouette. Sharp eyes can see the rounded transom on the Silhouette verses the more angular SK-Skiier's transom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steven's Catalog 008.jpg   Steven's Catalog 009.jpg  
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 09-14-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike thanks. I have looked at the inside rear of the transom and can find no evidence of thru transom exhaust. I do know that the motor mounts were moved forward a good distance from the stock location. The original holes were plugged and filled but are still visible so I'd say it came rigged with over transom exhaust. I'll make it a point to sand the paint off the inside of the transom next and see if I can locate the numbers. This boat was originally titled as a 68 and with the adjustable plates I would think that was close. Of course I think most of the 60s boats looked basicly the same. From bow to the edge of the plates does measure exactly 17' 2" and it does have a the high freeboard. I've seen the Stevens boats with and without that lip around the back of the cockpit area but noticed neither ad you posted showed that feature. Was that an option or a year specific thing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnoC653,
    You're right, I don't see the lip in the catalog photos either. Hmmmmm, interesting.
    As far as taking the paint off of the hull, I've done it a number of ways, but try going to a shop that specializes in Corvette repair. They have a special paint stripper that won't eat up the fibreglass. I've tried scraping, sanding, stripping, etc. It's all a big job, but crank up some music and grab a cold beverage and attack! Painted over metalflake hulls are common, as are painted over wood decks, it is the least expensive way to refinish a hull ,and, unfortunately, many striking factory finishes and decks ended up covered with a cheap paint job. Sometimes you can even find traces of old registration numbers or the boat's name painted under the last re-paint.
    My 18' Silhouette, (that I am restoring as factory), had an "X"-rated name and cartoon painted on the deck. Obviously, that had to go. Probably some young single guy previously owned my boat! That may have impressed his buddies, but isn't too cool when you have a wife and kids.
    If I may offer an additional thought, you can save re-doing the trailer for last if you like. This way, as you sand, strip, fibreglass etc, the hull, you don't have to worry too much about what it's doing to the trailer.When you re-paint the hull, you can take the trailer, (I assume the hull is on sawhorses at this point when you're having it painted), to a sandblaster, fix any bad welds or bent metal, and have the trailer primed and painted (or powdercoated). Make some new wood runners (bunks), use marine carpeting, stainless staples, and set your baby back down on a solid and proper trailer. Boats spend most of their lifes on their trailers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SnoC653,
    Here is a photo of the rear of a '63 Stevens SK Skiier, 'glass deck model after paint stripping. There doesn't appear to be any lip around the rear gunwale here either . Does your title say Stevens?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stevens 17 ft. 003.jpg   Stevens 17 ft. 002.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine doesn't have a title. It just has a bill of sale. He said it was titled as a 68 Stevens when he bought it but doesn't know where the title is and the state told him they couldn't find a record of it as it was 30 yrs ago. I also notice the dash is straight across the bottom where both Stevens pictures show a swoop at the bottom. Hmmmmm.... maybe it wasn't a Stevens... any thoughts on what it could be? It sure has Stevens lines everywhere else.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast