User Tag List

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK Program

Hi Harlan,
    Yes, thank you very much, I did get the e-mail with the SK Program containing the boat listings. It was very cool, I had most of those boats accounted for, however, there were a few I didn't have.
    Bob Silva sent me a copy of a similar but different program a while back that had mention of many of those boats.
    I really do love those old SK racers. It makes me want to paint an "SK" number on the side of my 18' Stevens flatbottom just to remind people about the class. My number was SK-85, which was my daughter's birthday, August 5th, ( 8/5 ).
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S K Boats

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
    Hi Harlan,
    Yes, thank you very much, I did get the e-mail with the SK Program containing the boat listings. It was very cool, I had most of those boats accounted for, however, there were a few I didn't have.
    Bob Silva sent me a copy of a similar but different program a while back that had mention of many of those boats.
    I really do love those old SK racers. It makes me want to paint an "SK" number on the side of my 18' Stevens flatbottom just to remind people about the class. My number was SK-85, which was my daughter's birthday, August 5th, ( 8/5 ).
    Spike

Why not. There are a lot of engines available, Chev, Ford, Chrysler, Pontiac, and Buick.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything that was, is again

Well,
    I had to venture over in the rain to Giroux Boats, to pick up an old Moon aluminum air scoop that Pete had welded for me today.
    Pete's shop is a fun place. The reception area is full of automotive and boating memorabilia and parts...there's a newly laced pair of wire dragster front wheels next to a really nice "T"- tank for a drag boat, showcases full of marine parts, and all sorts of gearhead stuff, just waiting for someone's next project.
    But, what was out in the shop was really cool. They were stripping a Campbell hull, getting it ready to re-do the wood. There was a newly finished Rayson-Craft hull, resplendant with it's fresh restored wood deck and yellow hull, and it's getting it's 392 re-built to new.
    Over there, was a Poty hulled circle race flatbottom, wood deck again, and sporting a hot small block Chevy with dry stacks and four 48 IDA Webers.
    On hold, was a Buick Nailhead engine for another customer's boat wearing a vintage nice set of Hilborn Injectors, and a Joe Hunt Mag with the fuel pump drive as part of the base.
    Pete talked about a Stevens flatbottom that's in the works, that has a 394 Olds with six strombergs.And, Pete says he's busy, real busy.
    Haven't I been saying it? This classic hot-rodded inboard stuff has come back STRONG. Wood hulls, and even stronger wood DECKS are back.
    All of the classic hull manufacturers are being sought after, not just the 2 or 3 makes that ended up as drag-race only hulls.
    The big block Chevy engine is not the first choice anymore,( unless it's a 427)
    Metalflake is back, "Targets" are back, as opposed to 13 colors of candy with "ZZ Top" graphics. Billett? Bye-Bye.
    If you're really into boats, hot inboards, it's a win/win situation. Just like street rods have turned back to the traditional styled hot rod, hot boats have now returned to what we all knew was cool for a very long time now..................... Spike
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 12-15-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage Restorations

Pete's place is a lot of fun. He has done the finish and paint on the last 2 Rayson Craft Wood decks I have built. He always has a lot of interesting boats. Brian just picked up a Dragon Craft from Pete. The Joe Poty E R R is a great restoration.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harlan,
    Pete told me you were responsible for that beautiful Rayson-Craft's deck. It is truly wonderful, who wouldn't want one!!!??? The Poty is something as well, I've not seen many of those hulls.
    I'm also loving the fact that so many people are building up all the great engines that were part of what made each boat unique, but then, I'm admittedly bias towards a traditional classic hot inboard.
    I like speed, but to me, a boat's real "soul" is in it's execution, some boats come off to me like an older woman wearing too much jewelry, some look like the owner is trying too hard, while there are those that are simple and charm your socks off.
    This probably sounds funny coming from a guy who also loves the Mortician.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THE MORTICIAN DID IT!!!!!!!!!!
    Harlan orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage Boats

I am looking for a Flat Head Ford engine to use in a clone of the 1950 16' Mandella, Joe built for Rudy Ramos. Rudy used it as a speed ski boat.
    I have a 276" 1952 De Soto with Algon Injectors to use in a clone of Red Wilson's 1950 17' Mandella E R R SLIPPER-E E-69. This boat was destroyed at Long Beach, in a flip, in 1955.
    I am restoring a 1962 17' glass Sanger. This model was the first glass model built by Sanger Jack Davidson. It will be powered with a 354" Chrysler Industrial Hemi.
    My 17' Aqua Caft will get a new wood deck and a 327" Chevrolet with vintage marine engine hardware.
    I will soon take my 1955 Joe Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speed ski boat to be painted in the original colors and design. It will get Oldsmobile turquois and white, like a 1956 Oldsmobile. The engine is a 1955 Oldsmobine with an Edelbrock 3-2s manifold.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harlanorrin View Post
    I am looking for a Flat Head Ford engine to use in a clone of the 1950 16' Mandella, Joe built for Rudy Ramos. Rudy used it as a speed ski boat.
    I have a 276" 1952 De Soto with Algon Injectors to use in a clone of Red Wilson's 1950 17' Mandella E R R SLIPPER-E E-69. This boat was destroyed at Long Beach, in a flip, in 1955.
    I am restoring a 1962 17' glass Sanger. This model was the first glass model built by Sanger Jack Davidson. It will be powered with a 354" Chrysler Industrial Hemi.
    My 17' Aqua Caft will get a new wood deck and a 327" Chevrolet with vintage marine engine hardware.
    I will soon take my 1955 Joe Mandella twin prop-twin rudder speed ski boat to be painted in the original colors and design. It will get Oldsmobile turquois and white, like a 1956 Oldsmobile. The engine is a 1955 Oldsmobine with an Edelbrock 3-2s manifold.
    Your garage must be a fun place to hang,cool projects and kudos for saving these boats.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harlanorrin View Post
    Harlon,
    You've got some fantastic stuff going on there in your garage, every project sounds awesome! Can you share some pics of your projects with us...I'm probably amongst a million others on here that would love to see them...please????
    Thanks, Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time

Harlan,
    You probably get precious little time to work on your own projects, with all the people who have you do their wood decks for them.
    I have to tell you, the Mandella with the '55 Olds is sure a favorite of mine. I forget, aren't the wet logs you have for that, Cal-Marine items?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage V-drives

My '58-96 wood Mandella has a '58 Oldsmobile with '62 Heads, Nicson manifolds, Casale top loader v-drive with f-n-r.
    My 18' '55 Joe Mandella flat bottom speed ski boat, was built for twin props-twin rudders. The engine is a '55 Oldsmobile with Cal Marine manifolds, Moon front cover, Edelbrock 3-2s manifold. The 4 shaft v-drive was built by the original owner Rozzie Barton, as was the hydraulic foot throttle - MARBET.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the hydralic foot pedal rare? i have one on mine and always thought it was easier to hold speed when pulling skiers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic Foot Throttle

Rozzie Barton developed the hydraulic foot throttle and manufactured them in 1955. There were other manufacturers, Glenwood and Nicson.
    I have several, and will use in other boats. Rozzie also built the 4 shaft v-drive he used in his twin prop-twin rudder '55 Mandella speed ski boat. The hull restoration-rebuild is complete. It will next go to the painter for a '56 Oldsmobile design paint job in turquois and white, as original. I will power it with a '55 Oldsmobile.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic throttle

Harlan, Pancho,
    Interesting that you both have hydraulic throttle assemblies.
    I have a Moon/Marbet hydraulic throttle on the Mortician. (It's what was on it originally). Robert Dean at Glenwood told me a few years back, that he had a customer back east that swears by them, and has Robert rebuild his units .
    I got mine used, and not functioning. I sent it to Dean at Glenwood Marine, and he put a new length of hose on it, polished it up, filled it with fluid, made new seals for it, and it's on the race boat.
    Ray Caselli had a hydraulic throttle on his "Panic Mouse", for as long as I can remember.
    Barry McCown (owner/driver of Banzi ) ,told me he didn't have good luck with his, or something he didn't like about it, and used a standard push/pull cable. Barry's raced many types of boats throughout the years, and I'm sure he knows what he wants, and why.
    However, I have the standard Morse style Red Jacket cables on my other boats, and they work just fine too.
    Last edited by Spike Morelli; 12-20-2008 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like mine for low speed in the rough when we used to do vacations my buddy had a 65SK and i used both boats pulling skiers,kneeboarders and wakeboarders and in the rough the cable type was harder to hold a throttle position my foot would bounce up and down. I had to add fluid this last year so i figure its time for some o-rings.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast