User Tag List

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    I just went out to the garage to crawl under the deck of my 18' Stevens Silhouette. The stringers on my boat continue forward past the toeboard approximately two feet. There are two more boards (thinner, and maybe 3' long) that are glassed to the stringers at the front, that continue forward up towards the nose, as well as two other thin boards outboard of those on either side, going forward of the toeboard too. And, there is a board running right down the center of the keel line that is contoured to the bows arc, that goes from the toeboard up just past the bow eye. The bow eye is bolted through this board as a reinforcement.
    The main stringers, going from the transom forward, are contoured to the boat's bottom. The top of the stringer is straight across, end to end, however, the bottom side is cut to fit the "rocker' of the bottom's shape.
    I have an article from the old Hot Boat Magazine from 1967, that shows how Stevens built their hulls. After the gel coat color or metalflake is shot into the mold, the hull gets laid-up, transom wood gets glassed in first. The next shot shows the stringers in place already, with a worker placing fibreglass mat in place, cut to fit, between the stringers and the side walls of the hull, about to be glassed. It is unclear as to whether the plywood pieces have been installed in place outboard of the stringers under the mat,(I think they are) or what lay up has been finished in the floor, but I believe the floor is fairly intact prior to stringers going down and stringer replacement is not uncommon, so I'd go with removing the stringers as intact as you can,(to use as templates for the bottom arc), and "potting" them to the floor, then glassing over them appx 5" to 6" on each side . Hope this is helpful.
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 156388 Update... I found these pics in an old album,brought back some memories. Note moulding around the split line.I have the corner pieces but the stainless (maybe alum?) is gone.Today I cut the upper glass layer 4" on each side of the stringer from the toe board to 6"from the transom.The plywood layer ends with a taper before reaching the transom.I had to saw through some expanded urethane ahead of the toe board to see that the stringer ends 6"to10"ahead of the toe board,as the taper of the bottom rises and the end of the stinger looks about 4" tall.I can't tell what is ahead of that as the expanded foam fills the entire front area top to bottom,side to side.The plywood is wet and rotted to some degree.It looks like more (all) of the glass layer above the ply will need to come up so the ply can dry,or be removed /replaced.The glass layer beyond what I removed is still adhered to the ply, but the ply is wet and I dont know if it can dry out. More pics to come,...Spike..thanks for crawling under your dash and helping me out with info!! That article sounds usefull. Oh and your boat is beautill

Attachment 156389

Attachment 156390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0003.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	156395

Name:	scan0002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	156396

Name:	scan0001.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	156397

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare Boat, my friend....

Paul!,
    If only you could have seen the look on my face when I saw your photos. What you have here,.....is a fairly rare Stevens model. It's a 17' Sportster model. The real unusual gunwales around the passenger compartment is unique only to this model, and is what gave it away. The dashboard is differently shaped than other Stevens models as well.
    You may find filled holes under the deck where a windshield (really) might have been. This model also came with a fibreglass engine cover. I'm not sure if every Sportster sold had additional floorboards installed as well, but there's a good chance yours did.
    Save the corner mouldings for the trim, most boat manufacturers still use the stainless or aluminum seam trim on one boat or another, so you can reinstall it later if you like, or fill the holes and paint over it.
    I must say, wow, Your's is the first Sportster model I've ever seen, outside of the Catalog. Check out the page......
    Spike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 2008 Stevens Boat Catalog 010.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike!!,Wow!!Thanks for the model ID,...Sportster...I like it!!Here are the new pics.The ply is drying with help from a fan.I believe I will end up replacing most of the ply if only for appearance.I will cut more of the glass layer off and see what I find.Looking at a cross section of the glass reveals the original glass with two additional layers of cloth and a thick layer of resin poured on top,thus cracking up with age.The cracks do not extend into the original layers of cloth/resin.So I'm back to it,I really do appreciate your input.PaulClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SS853728.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	156445

Name:	SS853732.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	156446

Name:	SS853733.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	156447

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, I't looks like you've taken the plunge. Are you going to replace both stringers?
    You'll find that Spike along with a lot of others on here have a lot of great info to share.

Here's a link to a real nice '65 Stevens that's for sale on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130261473708

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	stringer repair.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	156463

Name:	stringer repair 004.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	156464

Name:	stringer repair 003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	156465A few more..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itching Yet?

It looks like you're getting serious about this stringer business!
    Make sure you call those connections that I passed along to you. I'm sure they'll get you finished up.
    Something they taught us in Composites class in Aircraft School, the strength is in the cloth, not the resin. The resin is the bonding agent to wet out and adhere the cloth. As you 'glass the stringers in, wet out the cloth enough, but not too much, just enough, when you laminate the 'glass layers.
    Pooling resin is why the gunwales get stress cracks, they're moulded upside-down in the mold and the resin has run down to the bottom of the trough. ( The top of the gunwales when the hull is rightside-up). It's the resin that cracks, not the cloth.
    Moder tecniques often now use "vacuum bagging" to squeegee out a precise amount of resin evenly across the cloth, resulting in a VERY light and strong composite.
    Once you're done 'glassing in the stringers, the last clear coat is just for looks, and is a thin gloss coat.
    Now, go take a shower for an hour and a half and try to scrub those itchies off....... Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadSledMerc View Post
    Paul, I't looks like you've taken the plunge. Are you going to replace both stringers?
    You'll find that Spike along with a lot of others on here have a lot of great info to share.

Here's a link to a real nice '65 Stevens that's for sale on ebay right now.

Check the ebay link for details, but...

I've lowered my asking price for this boat to $12,000 for anyone interested.

The boat really has to go, so make me a reasonable offer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '65 Stevens is going off on ebay tonight with a low reserve...

Quote Originally Posted by LeadSledMerc View Post
    Check the ebay link for details, but...

I've lowered my asking price for this boat to $12,000 for anyone interested.

The boat really has to go, so make me a reasonable offer!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

relisted

I hate to keep hounding you guys, but I'd love to see this boat go to one of you guys that would really appreciate it.

I've slashed the price and also relisted it on ebay.
    It's got to go...make me an offer.

Here's a link to the add for the description and pics.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EF:MOTORS:1123
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_8719 (Small).jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NDBA Drags at Ski-Land

John Miller recently let me look through some of his souvenir programs from the NDBA annual National Championship Boat Drag races, '63 thru '68. The pictures and ads are really cool.
    Now, I've been to Ski-land (when I was a lil' kid), and I've seen lots of pictures of, and from, Ski-Land, and i just recently had a great realization.
    I called Don Edwards, (one of the guys who raced there), and asked him about the launch ramp being on the opposite side of the lake from the starting line, How'd that work?
    Back then, apparently, the entire class (unblown gas flat, blown fuel hydro, etc.), would all put their boats in the water at one time, and each class as called would drive, (yes, DRIVE), appx 3/4 of a mile to a mile around the backside of the "L" shaped lake, in pairs of two, making the final turn at the North point before squaring off with the starting flag man, or lights, and THEN, racing the timed quarter mile, finishing off with driving back to the launch ramp.
    I guess I never thought about this before.
    These dragsters actually drove, and had to carry the extra fuel to accomodate the trek. Also, unlike many boats today, these drag boats all had water cooled production engines. I'd think a dry block would overheat today if you tried doing it the way they used to.
    Don told me he personally liked the drive time, as it gave the engines time to warm up, and an opportunity to psyche-out your opponent. The race started from a slow run, planing, as opposed to today, where you start an engine that's sitting, not running, and immediately nail it.
    I know this sounds kinda naive, but it makes me appreciate even more the sixties drag boats for the fact that they were functional AND fast.
    Here's to all those special people and their wonderfull machines.
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike,
    I was wondering if you still had that Stevens for sale, I would like to restore a Stevens,with the metal flake deck. Maybe a family project with my nephew and brothers.
    Did Stevens ever put the 348 in their boats?
    Looking forward to Bass Lake, and every boat gathering I can go to.
    My Schiada is completed after 7 years,it was sure worth the wait !
    I have this thing for red metal flake, when I was a kid and played Pop Warner football, the coaches painted our helmets this bright red metal flake, I waxed the hell out of it, after the end of the season, it was all chipped off !.

Take Care, David Barton P.S. LeadSled`s Stevens use to belong to my older brother, and Joe Reath rebuilt that 354 Hemi for him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 61SCHIADA View Post

My Schiada is completed after 7 years,it was sure worth the wait !

Take Care, David Barton P.S. LeadSled`s Stevens use to belong to my older brother, and Joe Reath rebuilt that 354 Hemi for him.
    David,
    Congrats on getting your Schiada completed, it must feel great!
    Did you post any pictures of it done yet? We'd love to see some!
    Good luck with it and have fun!
    Now on to a Stevens eh???
    Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith,
    I would like to have a Stevens with a brite red metal flake deck. another toy to keep the stress levels down, If I could my brother and I would like to buy your boat, but right now is not a good time. I`ll have John post some pictures, I`m going to write a story about the boat and submit it to the boating mags.
    That is a very fair price for your boat, you do very good work. I hope you get your price soon. David

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast