User Tag List

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private Message

Hey David,
    I sent you a private message last night, did you receive it?
    My computer says one of my e-mails failed to get sent, hope it wasn't the one to you. Let me know,sir.
    Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 Schaida

Hey David,
    I'm going to assume that you didn't get my private message, since you haven't responded.
    To answer your question, yes, the 17' Stevens is still available, and it IS red metalflake and white, no engine or seats.
    You know, we don't live too far from each other. Some time when you can, we should get together, yap a while, check out projects, or whatever. I would really dig seeing your Schiada all finished. As of a year ago, Lee, at Schiada, still had the mold for their old flatbottom!
    Hit it! Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Spike and any other Stevens fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rofEX...eature=related

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancho View Post
    Hey Spike and any other Stevens fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rofEX...eature=related
    Hey, Kenny...????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vid seems to have disappeared?
    Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpvksI59_c

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pancho View Post
    Vid seems to have disappeared?
    Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZpvksI59_c
    I remember watching that one on epay...$40K to start if I remember!
    It's a nice looking boat if you like wood decks and a Nailhead!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys talking about Stevens Flatbottoms, I bought a FRAHS 17' FB in 1974 from Terry Frahs in Jax. Fla.Hull#28. I raced it in SK class,super badd machine!! 125mph with hard left hand turns,10 wide... Still got it with very wild BBC destroker "Hank The Crank motor". Terry told me he had worked at Stevens boats. I'm pretty sure he said he bought their mold,and modified it to become the Frahs Design.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadSledMerc View Post
    I remember watching that one on epay...$40K to start if I remember!
    It's a nice looking boat if you like wood decks and a Nailhead!
    Can you believe some peeps an old crappy boat with a nailhead makes you wonder if they have any friends,kinda feel bad for em!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David"Skywalker"Carver View Post
    Hey guys talking about Stevens Flatbottoms, I bought a FRAHS 17' FB in 1974 from Terry Frahs in Jax. Fla.Hull#28. I raced it in SK class,super badd machine!! 125mph with hard left hand turns,10 wide... Still got it with very wild BBC destroker "Hank The Crank motor". Terry told me he had worked at Stevens boats. I'm pretty sure he said he bought their mold,and modified it to become the Frahs Design.
    WOW .......welcome to the party
    74 and you still have it that is really cool. I know nothing about the molds but a member here (Spike) has a ton of info on the Stevens. Last i heard the frahs molds were here in New England. Post up pics of then and now.
    I had a 70 El Camino with a 454 (not stock) back in 86 and the guy i bought it from listed a crank by (Hank the Crank),that has always stuck in my mind.
    Last edited by pancho; 11-19-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frahs Boats

Hi David,
    You know, I heard that, about the Frahs hull being related to the Stevens hull design. I don't remember who told me that, or where I might have heard it. Possibly someone on the internet talking about it.
    Powerboat Magazine, in February of '74 when Bob Nordskog was involved with it, did a performance test on a Frahs flatbottom, tunnel-rammed 454 Chevy with O.T.'s,(429 Ford or 426 Chrysler optional). I still have the magazine with the article. The boat in the article was an 17' hull too. Nice boat.
    If memory serves, the Frahs hull did have a seam running down the center of the hull's bottom from the two-piece mold, and a deck that glassed on to the bottom , in the same fashion as Stevens did their hulls.
    I wonder, though, about Terry Frahs having bought a mold from Mack and Mary Stevens, only in that Stevens Boats was still building boats past 1974. You wouldn't think Stevens would sell off a perfectly good mold, unless, (you say your hull is 17' long), maybe the bulk of Stevens' customers wanted the 18' model, and Stevens stopped offering the 17' models. (?)
    Anyone out there own a 17' Stevens later than '74?
    I don't have my records in order yet as to correct years of build for each Stevens model, so I can't say.
    David, if you have a good photo of your Frahs, you should post a picture. They were a good looking boat, and many people have never heard of, or seen one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S K Speed

Quote Originally Posted by David"Skywalker"Carver View Post
    Speed gets faster with time. The S K Kilo record in 1974 was 120. The competition record was 111 in 1973.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK cubic inches

David,
    Just curious, I know that the cubic inch limit for SK class racing up through the mid-sixties was 400 c.i.. What was the cubic inch limit in '74, that mandated you to destroke the 454? Did your hull come with skid fins on the cav plate? V-drive under the dash?
    I've always been a fan of the SK boats. You used to see people water ski with 'em at Parker (Colorado River) in the sixties. I used to own (and restored), a '67 Hallett SK racer (SK 85 "Wild Cherry"), that was fun. It originally had a 427 Ford destroked to appx 396.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK cubic inches

Harlan,
    Do you know when the cubic inch limit changed, and to what?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S K Class

Hello Spike
    I do not know when the displacement was changed, or when the class was eliminated. The class speed records are listed by Bob Foley on the VINTAGE HYDROPLANES web site.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink SK Boats

Well Guys, Where do I start?? I was 21 when i got this boat!!! WOW,long time ago.The Frahs is 17'4" The sides are lower than a Stevens, it was a split mold, it has a 6 degree 95" prop shaft, V-drive under dash 18%,it has the optional skid fins on the cav. plate, Which by the way,all the fins are BENT to the left, imagine why...The motor had 392 cid when new, @ 3.35"strokeX .060"over to meet 400" rules. Later when rules changed to 405 about 1978?, I bored to .125"=404cid.I raced 1975-1979, And out ran the guy that set the SK record, a Lavey Craft from NJ named Sweet Caroline at Lake Wheeler,NC..Actually got a nice compliment from the driver.It really would run 125 on a good day. In 1980 A match race was planned here between Mr. Reggie Fountain and me for our Summer festival.OB Merc.Tunnel V/S Flatbottom . I knew those Mercs could ruin my day, so I called Marvin Miller and had 400 HP direct port N20 system installed.WOW!! Could not believe it. The thing ran 20 mph faster! But only for a short time It was'nt Pretty. O'well It was funn,Plan to get motor and hull together again one day, and get another Blast From The Past.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast