User Tag List

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool story but once again pictures are required. When was the last time the boat ran?.........I`m a west coast transplant and last fall after a grueling 3 month run on the Bering Sea flew home and told my girl lets get in the truck and road trip somewhere, she came up with N. Carolina so i said how far and she said probably 10 hours ended up being 19 hours but worth every minute got a beautiful state there especially the Outer Banks. Little late to the game but from what i`ve read there used to be some good racing down there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK Frahs

Last ride 1980....Do not have any thing but old paper pics. Maybe can get scanned to show here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David"Skywalker"Carver View Post
    Last ride 1980....Do not have any thing but old paper pics. Maybe can get scanned to show here.
    Do the scans and dig out the boat the ride will take off 20 years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet Caroline

David,
    The guy with the boat "Sweet Caroline", was (is?) Jack Kiely, of Long Branch, New Jersey according to my records. "Sweet Caroline" was powered by a 396 inch Chevy, and was SK-671.
    Jack Kiely also owned another very hot SK called "Yankee Steeler", which was driven by Mario Squillace, and was SK-67.
    On Thanksgiving Day weekend, in 1973, at the Parker Kilo speed trials, Gordon Jennings drove Kiely's "Sweet Caroline" to a new kilo record, clocking 114.39 with the Weber-carbed 396.
    Just a bit of history on Kiely's SK's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet Caroline

There is a Lavey Craft "C" model boat racing in Wa. vintage as SWEET CAROLINE. I believe it is an original race boat. I do not know any history on the boat.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK Boats

Yea Man! Kiely & Mario were THE competition in the 70's.Carl Gardella was the Engine guru for those boats,from Indy Fame. Mario was the best driver on the 1&2/3mile circle, But, My Frahs was faster on the straights. Mario is the man who complimented me, and asked Where did you get That mota from?? That thing really turns up! The HTC motor was so short stroked that it turned around 92/9400 rpm's with 18% OD,11 1/2 x 14 1/2 Stellings X lift two bladed prop.However it was a dog below 7000.Other racers then were super bad, Duff Daily-O'Mona from Miami,Nutmegger from NJ,Bankwalker-Bobby Murray NC,Fred Sutton&John Harvey-Loreli NC.Julian Pettingill of Bisemeyer boats was an incredible driver in his Flatbottoms.Gordon Jennings even raced over here some. He was the Man Too! I have good memories from these times,and the more recent ODBA Unlimited Outboard drag racing with Skywalker, my rocket ship STV on Nitrous.The next excitement will be finishing my new PUGH Hydro With Major Nitrous Merc power on the 1/4mile, can't hardly wait.................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK-33 Maranatha

O' Forgot The old Frahs number was SK-33. still on it. Will try to get pics.next week,see y'all, thanks.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great story, but im goin crazy over here, THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS !!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SK Racing Runabout

Just because I've always liked them, I've compiled a listing of SK's as I find info on them. It's not totally complete, but what's there is interesting.
    Duff Dailey drove his incredible "Oh Mona!", SK-999, and I have it down as a Rayson-Craft with a 426 Hemi Chrysler.(destroked?)
    I have Julian Pettengil with "Angel Fire", SK-295, a Biesmeyer with a 396 Chevy
    I also show SK-33, "Golden Comode III", Jay Gotfredson, of San Marino. This is likely an earlier boat than yours, David, and carried the number prior to you.
    Being a fan of Stevens boats, I'd love to build a replica of "Half Gast Too", SK-45, which was powered by an Edelbrock 392 Chrysler, and dry-sumped, driven by Don Towle and was a record holder around '62-'63. Don had many Stevens hulls, I believe they're all gone, but the engine from the boat is on display in Edelbrock's museum.
    Anyone else out there got an "SK" ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Spike, In response to your post #175. I sold a few Stevens SK's as Connecticut SK Boat Sales and then moved to Florida in 1968 as Florida SK Boat Sales. Terry worked out a Royalty deal with Mack and Mary and was building the split mold 17' which he originally raced in Miami. My boats would be shipped to Jacksonville and I would pick them up from Terry.
    Not sure exactly when he launched the Frah's 17 but I think it was just before Mack checked out. Keep up the good work. Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S K 33

I built a wood Mandella owned by Jack Williams, driven by Bob Ellis. Bob won 12 heats in a row in 1958. Jack ran a Keith Black 392 Chrysler. The name was GOLDEN COMMODE III, S K 33. Ed Olsen drove over the boat at the nationals in the Chicago area.
    Harlan Orrin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sk-33

Hi Harlan,
    This compilation list that I've put together, is from articles in magazines and newspapers here and there . Admittedly, there may be errors.
    I'm going to change my info to list "Golden Comode III" as being owned by Jack Williams, and add that it was a Mandella. Perhaps, Jay Gotfredson was a driver for Jack? Perhaps I read something wrong.
    Thanks for the correction on SK-33. Those out there interested in SK's take note!
    Harlan, don't you think it's interesting that at the various boat events, you can find modern K. SS, style boats, even sixties vintage drag racers, but rarely run across an older SK. They were such a popular class of racing boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S K Race Boats

Hello Spike
    More S K Racers

current vintage racers
    Boyd-Robin Schnell S K 87 Lavey Craft-glass 396 Chevrolet
    Late '50s
    Tony Maricich S K 57 Wood Wickens kit 392 Chrysler
    Leroy Penhall S K 88 Wood Patterson 392 Chrysler

Harlan Orrin
    I will check some vintage programs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony Maricich

Hi Harlan,
    I also have Tony Maricich in SK-57, "Suddenly", running a 396 Chevy. It is said that Tony received the first Edelbrock dual quad cross-ram manifold, that Edelbrock sold, for the new big block 396 back when.
    SK-57 did extremely well, hull, engine, and driver being a good combination.
    I believe Tony Maricich eventually went on to driving Super Stock class as well, driving SS-57 "Suddenly Too", but I don't have any information as to the hull or engine of his SS boat. Spike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sk-ss 57

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Morelli View Post
    Hi Harlan,
    I also have Tony Maricich in SK-57, "Suddenly", running a 396 Chevy. It is said that Tony received the first Edelbrock dual quad cross-ram manifold, that Edelbrock sold, for the new big block 396 back when.
    SK-57 did extremely well, hull, engine, and driver being a good combination.
    I believe Tony Maricich eventually went on to driving Super Stock class as well, driving SS-57 "Suddenly Too", but I don't have any information as to the hull or engine of his SS boat. Spike

I do not remember Tony running a Chev. I will try to find pics of Tony running a S S boat. Did you get my e mail program?
    Harlaan Orrin

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast