User Tag List

Page 83 of 348 FirstFirst ... 33 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 133 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 5209
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Willa must be on vacation or in hibernation-----either way he's not much use to anyone.
    Don't you have any pictures of back in the day you can share ??? Then there is the unfinished road trip to Vegas story........you've got to take one for the team

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Don't you have any pictures of back in the day you can share ??? Then there is the unfinished road trip to Vegas story........you've got to take one for the team
    Don't have many pics of back in the day, gave most of 'em to Willa, he makes better use of things than i do and can't lie worth a ****. !!!!!!!!!!
    Hells teeth, i almost forgot about the "Vegas Trip". That's when we were driving through this big ole canyon when Pruett spots this Billy goat with the horns stood up proud on top of the ridge like he owned the whole country. He then proceeds to take mighty leaps, zig zagging his way down the mountain at a rapid rate of knots. We look on in amazement and wonderment as this magnificent old chap takes a final bound on to the hood of Pruetts prize two tone maroon and cream with imitation wood panels poncie looking Pontiac station wagon. Billy Don was not amused, he swore to eradicate every cloven hoofed creature from the state of Nevada. Jim and i just stood there pissing ourselves with pure joy at Pruetts antics.
    Arrived in Vegas as the conquering heroes we were, checked in at Caesers Palace [the winners of Havasu always stayed at Caesers] and proceeded to eye the talent . A dozen drivers got together and i had a bet that the next girl to walk through the double entrance door would look at me first, before any of the other drivers------ we all lined up abreast, and waited, 2 came in together and they both stared at me in horror and shock. I collected the money after much bitching and moaning as raceboat drivers do when they lose a bet.----------Oh yes-----i forgot to tell you-------the surgeon had sewed my nose back on after the flip and i was covered in bandages from ******* to breakfast time-----the girls HAD to look at me first.
    My back was killing me, so Pruett decides i need some high heeled sh-t kickers and a strong wide belt to hold me up, so off we pop to the most expensive bootmaker in the world who fits me out with a pair of the most handsome hand tooled toledo, winkle pickers you ever did behold. That was great i could stand up comfortably,-------- then he told me the price, NO BOOTS IN THE WORLD COULD COST THAT MUCH, i tell you, i had to sit down. Pruett sez aw c'mon Jackie, you just won $3,500 from your hospital bed, you can afford 'em. Up to this point in my life, i had never spent more than £5-50 p on footwear so over $250 for high heels was a bit strong. Tell you what i'll do sez Pruett, i'll go halves with you you pay $200 and i'll pay $50[ this was Dons idea of half]. Needless to say, he sweet talked me into those damned boots !!!!! bottom line is ,i only threw them out last year when the mice nested in them.
    Next stop ,he decides i need a massage. So i agree, with a huge smile on my face, at last i thought, am about to experience the delights of Vegas--------WRONG--- The masseur turns out to be a crazy cockney git who hates all humans and after stripping to my knickers, he proceeds to whip the crap out of me with genuine oak leafed twigs------heavenly bliss---------I THINK NOT !!!!!!
    Thus ended the first 4 hrs of a 3 day trip to Vegas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vegas trip cont.
    This was the period when Sinatra was pulling all the grandmas at the Sands. Elvis was moaning his way into the history books, Tom Jones had all the teeny boppers hurling their knickers at him. Deano was drinking his way into oblivion along with Foster Brooks, and the Mercury heroes were in town to celebrate a clean sweep of Havasu. I wanted to go see Sammy Davis but was voted down in favour of "Circus Circus" They had the first ever $64,000 jackpot and we were convinced one of us was going to win it, we were on a high and Vegas was ours for the taking. Stickle came close to the win, and then decided it was better to drink our way through the city,bear in mind there were only 7 big hotels in those days and "The Strip" was it. [lunchtime break and if i don't post this i'll lose it] TBC.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stayed at Caesers] so Pruett decides i need some high heeled sh-t kickers and a strong wide belt to hold me up, so off we pop to the most expensive bootmaker in the world who fits me out with a pair of the most handsome hand tooled toledo, winkle pickers you ever did behold. That was great i could stand up comfortably
    Got picture ??

Funny stories...doesn't sound like they should have let you guy loose on Vegas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slightly off topic. Went to Marine Stadium in Long Beach this weekend for the Sprint Nationals. Never been there and wanted to see it. They raced flat bottoms, GN's, PWC, Crackerboxes and SST class. The SST class had the most enteries and looks like a hoot to race in....doesn't cost and arm and a leg to race in this class. They ran 40HP OMC's with speedmaster type lower units. Cool stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SST-Start.jpg   SST-Corner.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [lunchtime break and if i don't post this i'll lose it] TBC.

Done with your lunch break yet ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got myself into a real corner here, wife read the transcript of the vegas trip and told me there was no way i could put that on to the S+F website. There are children and wives of the people mentioned who are still alive and even though it's 40 years since ' the happening' it's taboo according to "her indoors". Will tell you at the offy meet in october when prying eyes and big ears will not be around. Sorry about that, but i do want to see the new year in !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackie causing trouble.....again

Back in the day, Powerboat ran a one page feature called TURNED ON. It was usually a photo of something happening at a boat race and they would add a humorous caption or statement. I came across a feature from their September, 1974 edition. It is a rather dramatic shot of Jimbo, pretty sure it's from the Paris race. As you will see, Jackie was making his presence felt.....causing trouble again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jimbo vs. Wilson II.jpg   Jimbo vs. Wilson.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 08-20-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Back in the day, Powerboat ran a one page feature called TURNED ON. It was usually a photo of something happening at a boat race and they would add a humorous caption or statement. I came across a feature from their September, 1974 edition. It is a rather dramatic shot of Jimbo, pretty sure it's from the Paris race. As you will see, Jackie was making his presence felt.....causing trouble again!

That picture makes you wonder what might have happened had Cesar Scotti not been killed. I wonder if Angelo and Renato would have made the jump to OMC, and what would have happened to the Seebold hulls? The Scotti hulls were certainly evolving along with the Molinari's.......and Jimbo's ride looked pretty good for that era.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often wondered the same thing since Scotti had made what was probably the best square bow tunnel going. OMC's engines were always considered underdogs to the Mercs of that day, yet Scotti's boat were always contenders.

Same thing can be said about James Beard. His boats were showing lots of potential also.
    Last edited by Mark Poole ModVP; 08-20-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    I have often wondered the same thing since Scotti had made what was probably the best square bow tunnel going. OMC's engines were always considered underdogs to the Mercs of that day, yet Scotti's boat were always contenders.

Same thing can be said about James Beard. His boats were showing lots of potential also.
    Beard was out of OPC hull building long before his death......and, to be honest, had a much larger group of contributers (Brownie, Clive, Smitty, Stevie, etc). I don't think the Cougar dynasty was impacted as much by his death as the Scotti marque was by Cesar's abrupt departure.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a long time but I thought the Beard boats were doing very well in Europe in the mid 70's and he died only a couple years later it seemed.

Another interesting hull was driven by Bill Badsey. (spell?) I think he was from South Africa. His boat was called a "tri star" or something like that. I remember seeing pics of this boat and it looked like the driver sat down "in" the boat kinda like it had a deep center section or maybe even a center "pod". He sat so low that the boat did not have a front cowl, just a small windscreen.

I need to get a scanner, I have all of those old magazines!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post

Hodges was the builder at Cougar, after he left, the circuit boats dropped out of being competitive. The tri hull contraption went like sh-t off a teflon coated shovel but you had to jump out and lift it round the turnbouys, was a real lemon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Beard was out of OPC hull building long before his death......and, to be honest, had a much larger group of contributers (Brownie, Clive, Smitty, Stevie, etc). I don't think the Cougar dynasty was impacted as much by his death as the Scotti marque was by Cesar's abrupt departure.
    James was very ill for a long period of time, and hung to life like he loved it. It was no surprise to anyone when he finally left. We had some good times together and a lot of arguments, but hey ,what's new.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tri hull contraption went like sh-t off a teflon coated shovel.
    Jackie...Only you could come up with a phrase like that. Don't ever stop.

Page 83 of 348 FirstFirst ... 33 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 133 183 ... LastLast