User Tag List

Page 78 of 348 FirstFirst ... 28 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 128 178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 5210
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian Smith pics

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
    Sadly I don't have any pics............Dick S may have some 'tho.

I made the mistake of not doing this at Parry sound one year and ended up with Broken ribs after it hooked.

Brian, is this the Miles that "took the dirt road" ?? I remember this boat fairly well...can't imagine a C-6 on it !!!!!

Here's some pictures of the newer Miles you drove; first picture is from PS 100 in Toronto, second picture is from Parry Sound (1973). What I remember about Parry Sound is it seemed like you were under the boat for a long time (in the days before harnesses). Dave Lovell and I were almost thinking about diving off the pier to swim out to you, you were that close to the us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-7.jpg   image-2.jpg   image-4.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parry sound

Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    [/I]

Brian, is this the Miles that "took the dirt road" ?? I remember this boat fairly well...can't imagine a C-6 on it !!!!!

Here's some pictures of the newer Miles you drove; first picture is from PS 100 in Toronto, second picture is from Parry Sound (1973). What I remember about Parry Sound is it seemed like you were under the boat for a long time (in the days before harnesses). Dave Lovell and I were almost thinking about diving off the pier to swim out to you, you were that close to the us.
    Thanx Peter;good to hear from you! The first boat(pic) is the one I ran onto shore.......and ran at Havasu. We had the sponsons flattened in anticipation of a C6 at Havasu but GG didn't like Miles boats for some reason. The second is actually our third Miles single which was larger all round than the one shown upside down at Parry sound.

When the boat hooked, the cockpit was so small I twisted when exiting and the strake on the deck caught me just above my kidney on the side and broke the ribs when the boat landed on top of me. I had to drive the next two races (1 hr each) with one hand as it hurt too much to raise my left arm!

I had a poster made from the pic in the newspaper showing the boat up on one rear corner!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
    Sadly I don't have any pics............Dick S may have some 'tho.

Yes Jackie I agree wholeheartedly about Freddies boats. Pretty impossible with Merc props but incredible with Phil Rollas.

Awhile ago some folks were moaning about "snap flips".........never happened to me, and I did some pretty crazy things..........Our little sprint (two of us could carry it without rigging!) was a real handful untill you were used to it........you actually had to trim down slightly untill it settled and then drive it around the corner. I made the mistake of not doing this at Parry sound one year and ended up with Broken ribs after it hooked.
    Not moaning...observing that the earlier fibreglass full tunnel Miles copies had a habit of snap flipping...(having little effect from up trim until SNAP!!!! you were upside down)....not talking about the pickle fork version.... My complaint with that POS was the hard chine sides forward that begged for a barrel roll and as you mentioned...the inability to run with three blade Merc props....... (too much bow lift).......

In its defense my Miles (Picklefork) was awesome in a choppy water in a straight line...... even with the Merc wheels as the waves "spanked" the stern up....of course you couldn't turn the damn thing in a chop lest the flat sides caught and hooked.

and calm water was an exercise in loping terror. Maybe Rolla props would have helped...... I think one of your guys showed me a two blader at Picton....but refused to part with it or let me try it...even though you were no longer running Miles hulls..... kinda let letting a guy look at a photo of your wife's boobs....lotsa sizzle...no steak..

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 07-07-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Not moaning...observing that the earlier fibreglass full tunnel Miles copies had a habit of snap flipping...(having little effect from up trim until SNAP!!!! you were upside down)....not talking about the pickle fork version.... My complaint with that POS was the hard chine sides forward that begged for a barrel roll and as you mentioned...the inability to run with three blade Merc props....... (too much bow lift).......

In its defense my Miles (Picklefork) was awesome in a choppy water in a straight line...... even with the Merc wheels as the waves "spanked" the stern up....of course you couldn't turn the damn thing in a chop lest the flat sides caught and hooked.

and calm water was an exercise in loping terror. Maybe Rolla props would have helped...... I think one of your guys showed me a two blader at Picton....but refused to part with it or let me try it...even though you were no longer running Miles hulls..... kinda let letting a guy look at a photo of your wife's boobs....lotsa sizzle...no steak..

T2x
    Spoken like a true 60/70's boat racer Quote, "like letting you look at a photo of your wifes boobs,-----lotsa sizzle-----no steak" unquote. Wish to hell i could think of smart asse things to say like that, Only you and Willabee are the acknowledged experts. Dirty !!!! Lucky !!! Buggers,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T2X If you never ran Rolla props in the 70's, you missed an experience. If you got Phil interested, he would work with you, and pull umpteen MPH out of your rig. 'Twas head and shoulders above a Merc Wheel and transformed the boat from a beast to a lady, just with a prop change. Tried for years to get Mercury to work with Rolla-----but they always knew best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T2X If you never ran Rolla props in the 70's, you missed an experience. If you got Phil interested, he would work with you, and pull umpteen MPH out of your rig. 'Twas head and shoulders above a Merc Wheel and transformed the boat from a beast to a lady, just with a prop change. Tried for years to get Mercury to work with Rolla-----but they always knew best.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    In SJ class this was one of the best boats I ever ran,, you could fly the hell out of it !!!!!
    Rich this boat was red when new and it was hanging from the ceiling in Elby's shop, traded a Hobie Cat for it....
    That boat was originally sold by Elbie to a brand new boat racer whose daddy paid the bills...... rigged with the best of everything and sporting a T1....

I was there for the inaugural run.... and Elbie asked me for my thoughts. I told him that I wanted first dibbs on the motor when it came back upside down. The guy was a handsome devil who looked like a Beach Boy with blond hair and blue eyes...and no clue. He put on his brand new Hinchman driving suit, his brand new Bell Helmet, his brand new Gentex ( all sold to him by Elbie), and his brand new driving gloves. He proceeded to take a practice lap around the cove at about 40 mph...and then got down to bees wax, He applied a liberal dose of throttle as evidenced by the throaty roar from the silo. The engine trimmed outward and suddenly..... SNAP!!!!!!!!.....

He had the boat repaired or replaced, I can't recall now....but his testicles had somehow shrunk in regards to taking another ride. Elbie...being Elbie bought the remains for pennies on the dollar from daddy..... I don't know where the T1 wound up... I think Van Epps got it. You , obviously, got the hull.

Me ..... I hated Miles Hulls...because of that and Brian's gang playing "I have a prop and you can't have it...Nah, nah, na, nah Nah"

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 07-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Props........

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    That boat was originally sold by Elbie to a brand new boat racer whose daddy paid the bills...... rigged with the best of everything and sporting a T1....

I was there for the inaugural run.... and Elbie asked me for my thoughts. I told him that I wanted first dibbs on the motor when it came back upside down. The guy was a handsome devil who looked like a Beach Boy with blond hair and blue eyes...and no clue. He put on his brand new Hinchman driving suit, his brand new Bell Helmet, his brand new Gentex ( all sold to him by Elbie), and his brand new driving gloves. He proceeded to take a practice lap around the cove at about 40 mph...and then got down to bees wax, He applied a liberal dose of throttle as evidenced by the throaty roar from the silo. The engine trimmed outward and suddenly..... SNAP!!!!!!!!.....

He had the boat repaired or replaced, I can't recall now....but his testicles had somehow shrunk in regards to taking another ride. Elbie...being Elbie bought the remains for pennies on the dollar from daddy..... I don't know where the T1 wound up... I think Van Epps got it. You , obviously, got the hull.

Me ..... I hated Miles Hulls...because of that and Brian's gang playing "I have a prop and you can't have it...Nah, nah, na, nah Nah"

T2x
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Our "Gang" was pretty protective back then! Sure wish you coulda tried one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mil;es boats

Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    I had it for a short time... I think it was these two you and Dick came to our race in Richfield Springs, NY with......
    Hmmmmmmmm...........When we started running the small Miles Pickle we never ran the original again as I recall.........We had it repaired again after Havasu and as I recall sold it. Did you buy it John? Is that your number 8?

We did have another version of the original that was somewhat longer and flatter with swept up parts at the rear decks beside the transom. Dick ran this a bit but it really was underpowered.
    This is the single we took to Johanesburg with the twin. I ran it with a C6 and it was a great combo. Broke the timing belt after a few laps 'tho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Chick Gagen running a Zonker Craft with a T1 in UJ that looked very similar to the miles. Anyone know if it was a copy? Doug Pearls and Homer's Scorpions also look very similar. (I think the Miles looks better than the Scorpion which had to be one of the faster and uglier SJ boats of all time)
    I could see why John liked the Miles blunt nose. With a good driver set up and strong SJ motor it would have to be very fast.

I also remember Kitson had some sort of agreement with Miles to build fiberglass versions. I saw several that ran in SJ and Mod 100 that were pickle fork and seemed to be competitive. I have also seen a pleasure version of the blunt nose. The pickle Kitsons seemed like decent boats in SJ but were no match for David Lee (Lee Craft) or Sammy White (Seebold) but this was at the end of SJ. Doug, Sherlock, and Homer had all moved on to other classes or other interests.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zonkers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    I remember Chick Gagen running a Zonker Craft with a T1 in UJ that looked very similar to the miles. Anyone know if it was a copy? Doug Pearls and Homer's Scorpions also look very similar. (I think the Miles looks better than the Scorpion which had to be one of the faster and uglier SJ boats of all time)
    I could see why John liked the Miles blunt nose. With a good driver set up and strong SJ motor it would have to be very fast.

I also remember Kitson had some sort of agreement with Miles to build fiberglass versions. I saw several that ran in SJ and Mod 100 that were pickle fork and seemed to be competitive. I have also seen a pleasure version of the blunt nose. The pickle Kitsons seemed like decent boats in SJ but were no match for David Lee (Lee Craft) or Sammy White (Seebold) but this was at the end of SJ. Doug, Sherlock, and Homer had all moved on to other classes or other interests.
    I think you are correct about Kitson.......Jackie might know the details I guess. Chick was the only guy I new of with a Zonker.........neither were anything close to the real thing 'tho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The early Miles were amazing in the rough and sloppy waters, they were only just over 16' [Fred learned through the little Shultze this was the way to go] compared to the 18' Molinari of this period.
    Kenny and Fred had done a deal so that Ken could build boats, i'm sure the first to come out were wood, to be followed later by the glass ones.
    Fairly sure GG was involved with the Zonkers so he would have got his pound of flesh somewhere along the line, Mert played with these boats for a while, but i have no idea what the deal was.
    Go back 2 years earlier when Burgess was a Builder for Shakey Bill before Fred employed him, put pictures of the 2 boats together and you can see the heritage. Go forward 2 years and look at the Burgess-------- Racing History !!!!!
    The '68 Shakespeare has the record for LOPING--------length of lake Como and only touched down 10 times. Driver CHARLES SHOOTER, he weighed in at 240 lbs on a good day.
    I know i keep getting of the beaten track, but i write it as i think about it, and sometimes i lose the way---Sorrrreeeee.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Those Zonkers!

1978 - The Caribbean Club in Key Largo. This is one that I bought in a deal that was brokered through the infamous Kenny Olson of Olson Reality fame in St. Petersburg, Fl. . This boat loved to fly - in a vertical sense!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01972.JPG   DSC01971.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken always had some pretty good equipment. Especially in SST 120. I only met Kenny a couple times but as I remember his crew (Bubbles and others) Also had some nice equipment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    Ken always had some pretty good equipment. Especially in SST 120. I only met Kenny a couple times but as I remember his crew (Bubbles and others) Also had some nice equipment.
    Kenny really did have some of the best equipment. He has a special connection to GG via Reggie. He could get anything that his wallet desired. He and Reggie were very good friends at the time. I remember meeting Reggie several time at Kenny's house.

Bubbles....If you are referring to Bonnie Clayton or "BC" as she was known on the racing circuit, Kenny was always proud to say that he paid for her optional equipment. Those were not available through Mercury.

Page 78 of 348 FirstFirst ... 28 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 128 178 ... LastLast