User Tag List

Page 77 of 348 FirstFirst ... 27 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 127 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 5209
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McConnell's Unlimited Ride

Here's another picture of the Second Effort Unlimited driven by Jimbo (should this not be a 'Hot-Multi').
    According to my November 1983 issue of Powerboat & Waterskiing the boat was 30 feet long and was designed by Don Aronow and Gary Garbreicht.
    Its debut was at the World Championship Race in Houston - October 2, 1983 and finished second overall and was clocked at just over 150mph. I think I remember reading in Powerboat (USA) that many of the favourite unlimiteds broke down in the final.
    What was Jimbo doing driving Johnsons!!!!!

Back to 'Hot Singles', here are two of my favourite pictures that sure make the OMC V8 and Merc T4 cowlings look amazingly large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image-1.jpg   image-2.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    Jackie's Cosworth and John's 2.0 Merc were two hot singles that ran against the hydros on their course. While Sherlock ran in the Outboard class if I remember correctly, his time was the fastest lap of the day until the very end when a GPH beat him by a few 1/10ths. That is one hell of a run. Tunnels do not do well on a Hydro course it becomes a real trick to try and float the turns at high speed. The Bud boat was always one of my favorites. Thanks for posting the picture John.

The cosworth can be debated whether it was or was not a true outboard but still was a very unique and innovative single for its time. I also heard it was pretty fast.
    AW !!!!! C'MON, would you really hike a twister or a V8 OMC lump over your shoulder and walk it down to your fish boat and clamp it ??????? My Cossie including drive probably weighed less than either of them.
    But like i said before, i did not write the rule book,----------just stretched it a little and made the factories sit up a bit---gave them a chance to bitch at someone else instead of each other.
    I used to love listening to J/L and GG explaining to the press that the concept was not within the 'SPIRIT OF THE RULES'. Then they would ask for my views on the subject, so i told them----------"they took my boat and motor off'n me so i built my own". Happy Days.!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
    One time in Quebec we ran against 3 liters. Trounced them! It was the one and only time I remember being on TV.

In one of the heats Andy Savard hooked in front of me and I ran over him.........just behind his cockpit. Pretty lucky we weren't hurt.
    I thought the whole purpose of racing in Canada was to run into people....Kinda like hockey on the water
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie,

You said ", i did not write the rule book,----------just stretched it a little and made the factories sit up a bit"

When the factories stretched the rules it was called innovation or refinement. Their advantage was that they also wrote the rule book in most cases.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    Jackie,

You said ", i did not write the rule book,----------just stretched it a little and made the factories sit up a bit"

When the factories stretched the rules it was called innovation or refinement. Their advantage was that they also wrote the rule book in most cases.
    Now ,Now Bruce, let's not get too bitchy about the factories, we did get a lot of fun out of them even though they were utter and complete arseholes, How can you expect to run a 4 liter WANKEL ???????[if you ever could measure the damn thing] And a V8 limited production motor and then scream FOUL when somebody pulls a 2 liter with a difference.
    As my sainted mother used to say 'NOWT SO QUEER AS FOLK'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Multi's.....

Quote Originally Posted by peterse90 View Post
    Here's another picture of the Second Effort Unlimited driven by Jimbo (should this not be a 'Hot-Multi').

Back to 'Hot Singles', here are two of my favourite pictures that sure make the OMC V8 and Merc T4 cowlings look amazingly large.
    It would be cool if the photos and info of the twins and quads were added to "Hot Multi's" as well.

I was looking at some photos of the V8 on singles last weekend and thought the same thing.....Man, from certain angles that motor looks huge!

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    It would be cool if the photos and info of the twins and quads were added to "Hot Multi's" as well.
    OK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumper boats

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I thought the whole purpose of racing in Canada was to run into people....Kinda like hockey on the water

I ran my single thru some trees and down a gravel road one time in Ohio! Maybe I shoulda worn glasses back then Huh?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ran my single thru some trees and down a gravel road one time in Ohio!
    Now that's a true Canadian boat racer..........
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was this kinda out of season ???? or maybe there was a drought and you went "YELLOW GRAVEL ROAD RACING ------in a boat. Were you wearing shades ?????? or was it justa bad day at the boatraces

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Was this kinda out of season ???? or maybe there was a drought and you went "YELLOW GRAVEL ROAD RACING ------in a boat. Were you wearing shades ?????? or was it justa bad day at the boatraces
    He was trying out to be a stuntman for a James Bond movie.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trees & road.

Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    He was trying out to be a stuntman for a James Bond movie.

Actually it was a river race......a beautiful spot with veeeerrrryyyy loooong straights, where you could get really flying. Dick and I started out front with him closer to shore. There were some very pretty willows overhanging the bank of the river and I thought it would be really neat to crowd him so he was forced to cut thru my water and follow me.

I kinda tilted my head to look back at where he was and when I looked forward again I caught a fleeting glimpse of something grey and round floating just under the surface in front of me................

Everything else was in slow motion................It of course tore the lower unit off (folks on the beach said it went at least 100 feet in the air) and that was the end of my steering!

I tucked my feet back (recalling Dicks' accident) and was deciding whether to bail out when all I saw was trees and people............thank gawd they had reinforced the shore with flat slabs of concrete rubble which launched me into the air on a curve and down the road...............

I came to rest against a bank (right-side up) flipped up my face shield and turned off the ignition. Just as I stepped out of the boat a couple came around the corner in a Volkswagon with mouths open and wide eyes!

They drove me back to the pits where "all hell" had broken loose as no-one thought I could've survived................We blocked our guys speeding out of the pits in the car and they went nuts when the saw me step out of the Volks!

We had the sponsons rebuilt by Bill Boulter in Belleville, changed lower units and this is the rig I ran at Havasu. (We also had them flattened in anticipation of getting a C6, however this didn't come to pass). Unfortunately Bill didn't carry the stringers far enough forward in the sponsons and I punctured one and sank in the first hour.

This was an my first awesome Miles............very rarely beaten as many can attest to........Jackie can attest to their speed I'm sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it was a river race......a beautiful spot with veeeerrrryyyy loooong straights, where you could get really flying. Dick and I started out front with him closer to shore. There were some very pretty willows overhanging the bank of the river and I thought it would be really neat to crowd him so he was forced to cut thru my water and follow me.

I kinda tilted my head to look back at where he was and when I looked forward again I caught a fleeting glimpse of something grey and round floating just under the surface in front of me................

Everything else was in slow motion................It of course tore the lower unit off (folks on the beach said it went at least 100 feet in the air) and that was the end of my steering!

I tucked my feet back (recalling Dicks' accident) and was deciding whether to bail out when all I saw was trees and people............thank gawd they had reinforced the shore with flat slabs of concrete rubble which launched me into the air on a curve and down the road...............

I came to rest against a bank (right-side up) flipped up my face shield and turned off the ignition. Just as I stepped out of the boat a couple came around the corner in a Volkswagon with mouths open and wide eyes!

They drove me back to the pits where "all hell" had broken loose as no-one thought I could've survived................We blocked our guys speeding out of the pits in the car and they went nuts when the saw me step out of the Volks!

We had the sponsons rebuilt by Bill Boulter in Belleville, changed lower units and this is the rig I ran at Havasu. (We also had them flattened in anticipation of getting a C6, however this didn't come to pass). Unfortunately Bill didn't carry the stringers far enough forward in the sponsons and I punctured one and sank in the first hour.

This was an my first awesome Miles............very rarely beaten as many can attest to........Jackie can attest to their speed I'm sure.
    Great story....good to hear you didn't get hurt or hurt anyone. Got pictures of the boat ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freddie never got the recognition he deserved, Burgess was his boatbuilder and shot to fame later. The first time GG saw the boat run was in Liege, Belgium. 2 lap lead over everything else including Molinari, Schultze, Velden and a bunch of top runners. Wilf Gregory was the co-driver and came into the pits far too quickly and smashed the front end off. Garbrecht bought the boat , there and then, as was, and shipped it back to Oshberg. Ahead of his time was Fred Miles. The boat was by no means perfect but was bloody quick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Great story....good to hear you didn't get hurt or hurt anyone. Got pictures of the boat ??

Sadly I don't have any pics............Dick S may have some 'tho.

Yes Jackie I agree wholeheartedly about Freddies boats. Pretty impossible with Merc props but incredible with Phil Rollas.

Awhile ago some folks were moaning about "snap flips".........never happened to me, and I did some pretty crazy things..........Our little sprint (two of us could carry it without rigging!) was a real handful untill you were used to it........you actually had to trim down slightly untill it settled and then drive it around the corner. I made the mistake of not doing this at Parry sound one year and ended up with Broken ribs after it hooked.

Page 77 of 348 FirstFirst ... 27 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 127 177 ... LastLast