User Tag List

Page 76 of 348 FirstFirst ... 26 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 126 176 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 5209
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Have to jump in here and tell you, Renato did not want to run that boat and was very unhappy about it, but the OMC top brass insisted. Molinari was hero worshipped in Italy and was mortally wounded when the fans turned against him.
    This is what i always complained about in OMC's F1 series, it was open ended and did not have a formula. If some clown wanted to put 10 V8's across the transom------it was OK to do so. Wrong way to go, but no one was listening especially the UIM and Herr Fraulin. Took a while to repair the damage done by that series.
    What happened with Renato and the fans turning against him ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the fans were Italian. Instead of hanging around and taking the podium for second place he just left. They did not like that. That boat was the fastest boat there that day. The Mercury drivers ran him all over the course so Seebold could win.

And look at the cowls....are those the 727 engines?
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    What happened with Renato and the fans turning against him ??
    The average Italian loves all kind of sport. If a man is very good at any sport, they will adore him. If he happens to be Italian they worship him. The 'TIFOSI' in formula 1 are a good example.
    If it happens to be a motorised sport, so much the better. Renato was not just good, he was brilliant. Son of a racing legend and boatbuilder in Angelo, from his early teens he had a huge following. First in Como and then all of Italy. Then Europe. When he went to the USA and won there, his reputation soared. The Idroscala in Milan was a man made lake,[ Mussolini had it built to race seaplanes, ie. The Schneider Trophy ] it had a grandstand which held thousands and the crowd was 20 deep for the length of the course. The first time i ever got the feel of a crowd behind you was 1967 when Bob Spalding and i took the little 16' Schultze and a 1000 BP down there. We lost the first 20 mins when Ridgell put a 1250 gearcase on it, and it refused to plane, after that we lapped the whole field including Renato time and again. The crowd got behind us for the next 4 hours ------even Angelo lent us his refuelling rig. After the race we were mobbed and for the first time in my life i gave out autographs. The point i am trying to make is that the fans in Italy are something very special and love their heroes. Renato was their greatest hero and had a tradition to uphold, Fair play, equal terms, to be the best. Renato knew that he was on a good hiding to nothing with the 2 engines racing against the singles------if he won --------SO WHAT----- if he lost-------he should not have run 2 engines.
    After that race, Molinari never had the following or the respect of the ' TIFOSI' that he enjoyed previously.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are we forgetting when he and Jimbo ran multi engine hulls against the Unlimiteds in the States?
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Are we forgetting when he and Jimbo ran multi engine hulls against the Unlimiteds in the States?
    Rich - Are there pictures of that? - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    They got a big splash in Powerboat magazine back then.... I believe they ran two races....... One was a dual molinari...and the other I think was a triple.

In addition there was the Aronow Unlimited Seebold tunnel......and the multi engined outboard Seebold with T4's that Jerry Gilbreath created
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes They were here on SnF as early as 2002
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails McConnel-Unlimited.jpg   molinariUNLIMITED.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich and Sam - Thanks! I do remember seeing that 1st photo, but not the Molinari. Sometimes it is hard to believe how innovative guys were back in the day. True human innovation without the aid of nowadays technology and computers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rich and Sam - Thanks! I do remember seeing that 1st photo, but not the Molinari. Sometimes it is hard to believe how innovative guys were back in the day. True human innovation without the aid of nowadays technology and computers.
    Ben Kramer wound up owning the Aronow Unlimited as part of the USA Cats deal. George and I were doing some cat design work for him at the time (which was cut short due to his "problems" with the government). In any case Ben and I wound up chatting and riding up in an elevator together at the Hyatt in Sarasota late one night and he was feeling no pain. He tried to give me the Aronow Unlimited stating that I knew more about such things then he did...... Thankfully, I was able to turn the conversation quickly to other topics, as Ben could be very persistent and did not take kindly to refusals. I have often thought about how I would have explained to the IRS, the DEA, and the FBI how I wound up with that hull if, I had accepted it.

I probably would have blamed it on Pruett.....

By the way...did any of you guys catch me on "America's Most Wanted" last Saturday night? They re-aired the Gus Falcon story and had a lot of my interviews of the Seahawk guys, Gus, Sal, and Willie. I looked pretty good back then...If I do say so myself.

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 06-30-2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I remember the outboard tunnel racing on Clear Lake against the unlimiteds (I was on the race course committee) There was tons of talking going on about them bringing Renalto over to race that thing. It only really did as well as it did due to the break downs of other boats, yea it could turn but had nowhere near the speed of the regular unlimiteds on the straights.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WharfRat View Post
    Yea, I remember the outboard tunnel racing on Clear Lake against the unlimiteds (I was on the race course committee) There was tons of talking going on about them bringing Renalto over to race that thing. It only really did as well as it did due to the break downs of other boats, yea it could turn but had nowhere near the speed of the regular unlimiteds on the straights.
    Yeah, but isn't that part of being a boatracer, trying the impossible, mixing it with the best, with something a bit out of the ordinary. Whatever the reason, the record books say the twin engined outboard finished third. It took big goolies to mix it with UNLIMITEDS. Think both Jimbo and Renato learned something from those 2 attempts. Don't ever recollect them trying it again.

Once took a 2 litre 17' Cosworth / Hodges to Canada. The only class i fitted into was the GRAND PRIX, racing against the likes of Lauderbach and Joe Banomi. Wettest ride i ever had, but man was that ever fun !!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie's Cosworth and John's 2.0 Merc were two hot singles that ran against the hydros on their course. While Sherlock ran in the Outboard class if I remember correctly, his time was the fastest lap of the day until the very end when a GPH beat him by a few 1/10ths. That is one hell of a run. Tunnels do not do well on a Hydro course it becomes a real trick to try and float the turns at high speed. The Bud boat was always one of my favorites. Thanks for posting the picture John.

The cosworth can be debated whether it was or was not a true outboard but still was a very unique and innovative single for its time. I also heard it was pretty fast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Washburn View Post
    Jackie's Cosworth and John's 2.0 Merc were two hot singles that ran against the hydros on their course. While Sherlock ran in the Outboard class if I remember correctly, his time was the fastest lap of the day until the very end when a GPH beat him by a few 1/10ths. That is one hell of a run. Tunnels do not do well on a Hydro course it becomes a real trick to try and float the turns at high speed. The Bud boat was always one of my favorites. Thanks for posting the picture John.

The cosworth can be debated whether it was or was not a true outboard but still was a very unique and innovative single for its time. I also heard it was pretty fast.
    I ran a couple of exhibition heats against my partner's Grand Prix Lauterbach with a T2x Molinari back in the day. My lap times running alone were as fast or faster than his....but..... I could not pull him from the start line to turn one and once that roostertail got ahead of me...............

T2x
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t2x View Post
    i ran a couple of exhibition heats against my partner's grand prix lauterbach with a t2x molinari back in the day. My lap times running alone were as fast or faster than his....but..... I could not pull him from the start line to turn one and once that roostertail got ahead of me...............

T2x
    that was my problem, i got hosed down on the run up to the first turn and couldn't get rid of the 500 gallons in the cockpit. Could match the lap times but never got out front. The aFter race parties made up for the disappointment though. Is jim thompson still kicking ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inboards

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    that was my problem, i got hosed down on the run up to the first turn and couldn't get rid of the 500 gallons in the cockpit. Could match the lap times but never got out front. The aFter race parties made up for the disappointment though. Is jim thompson still kicking ???

One time in Quebec we ran against 3 liters. Trounced them! It was the one and only time I remember being on TV.

In one of the heats Andy Savard hooked in front of me and I ran over him.........just behind his cockpit. Pretty lucky we weren't hurt.

Page 76 of 348 FirstFirst ... 26 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 126 176 ... LastLast