User Tag List

Page 69 of 348 FirstFirst ... 19 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 119 169 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 5209
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think once you get a feel for the Shooting Stars they are a hoot to drive....not a passanger or family boat as you point out. If you ran 79 MPH your comfort level must have been high. Still got the boat ??

Question......Parker 1968......I'm not clear about why this happened. An inboard came in first.....Merten's 18' wing second.......the 20' 199 wing came in third. The 199 guys were weekend warrior independants how did it happen they beat most of the Mercury and OMC guys ??? Do tell......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    I think once you get a feel for the Shooting Stars they are a hoot to drive....not a passanger or family boat as you point out. If you ran 79 MPH your comfort level must have been high. Still got the boat ??

Question......Parker 1968......I'm not clear about why this happened. An inboard came in first.....Merten's 18' wing second.......the 20' 199 wing came in third. The 199 guys were weekend warrior independants how did it happen they beat most of the Mercury and OMC guys ??? Do tell......
    You hit on the key.....you have to have some time in any high performance boat before you should feel comfortable and try to make it do the things it can do. The secret is to not get overconfident or cocky once you have the seat time because that is exactly when they will jump and bite you right in the arse. I bet there are plenty of guys on here that will vouch for that statement. I never ran mine if the water conditions weren't right, never drank when I had it out and always kept a serious eye out for boat wakes and debris when I ran at speed. Following those rules, it never bit me.

I had a boat and center section, Merten had a 1100 powerhead, a speedmaster and a prop and Boots Spellman had a marina, a place we could store the Star. That was the deal we made, we pooled our resources and in return all three were allowed to use it whenever they wanted. Some guy that wanted to have the fastest boat in his club made a ridiculously high offer for the Star. Mert said that if we sold, it would give him what he needed to buy a pair of 1250's for his Wing. Reluctantly, we sold the boat. The new owner didn't follow the rules and shortly after he took possession damn near killed himself, destroying the boat in the process.

As far as wondering how some weekend warrior could finish 3rd at Parker in 1968, the answer is easy.....98% of the boats entered at that time were weekend warriors. Brummet owned Mandella boats and used racing to promote them, Merten was a plumber, Olney was a vice cop and Kitson sold Fords for Sherwood, who advertised on his Wing. As I am saying in the "to be continued" story () in 1967 a bunch of people in an engineering lab are beginning to get involved in racing. With the exception of a handful of rigs, the factorys were not yet fully envolved.
    Last edited by willabee; 06-07-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You hit on the key.....you have to have some time in any high performance boat before you should feel comfortable and try to make it do the things it can do. The secret is to not get overconfident or cocky once you have the seat time because that is exactly when they will jump and bite you right in the arse. I bet there are plenty of guys on here that will vouch for that statement.
    Same basic theory I was taught in flight school..........get overconfident or cocky sooner or later it'll bite you in the rear end.

Cool picture of John running his Shooting Star back in the day.....great action shot. Feel sorry for the passagner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John-ShootingStar.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda looks like he is Praying!!
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe to the porcelain god.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

This brings a question to mind that I don't have an answer for.
    In the early years a co-pilot/navigator/sidecar monkey was
    required in many of the pleasure boat racing classes and organizations.
    It stayed in marathon style racing but went away from the short
    course racing. Anybody have any insight as to the reason running
    2-up was required and then went out of practice?
    Danny Leger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T2X
    The 1100 blocks were the same as the 65-up 1000 blocks but the bore of the 1100 was 1/16" larger (.062"), the largest bore of any of the inline 6 blocks, 2 15/16". Some of the race blocks were bored to 3" and used the early Merc 350 pistons. Randolf Hubbell recommended this to me when I contacted him seeking larger 1100 pistons.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post
    Anybody have any insight as to the reason running
    2-up was required and then went out of practice?
    Danny Leger
    2-up was required because it mimiced pleasure use. Sort of the way CanAm race cars required a passenger seat and some sports car classes still require carrying a spare tire. 2-up went out of practice as they admitted these were special racing boats and not just fast pleasure boats.

The question about the 1100 & 1250 blocks was about external appearance & exhaust compatibility. I think they were different. It is a question DaveS can probably answer, I think he still has some of both in his shop.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 up racing was the ONLY racing allowed in England until 1962 when the first of the v hulls came in and the hierarchy realised we were into RACING_____. not just pleasure boating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Crackerbox guys run with two people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crackerbox.jpg   P1000415.JPG  
    Last edited by Old fiberglass; 06-06-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    The Crackerbox guys run with two people.
    So do the Jersey Speed Skiffs on the east coast.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    As far as wondering how some weekend warrior could finish 3rd at Parker in 1968, the answer is easy.....98% of the boats entered at that time were weekend warriors. Brummet owned Mandella boats and used racing to promote them, Merten was a plumber, Olney was a vice cop and Kitson sold Fords for Sherwood, who advertised on his Wing. As I am saying in the "to be continued" story () in 1967 a bunch of people in an engineering lab are beginning to get involved in racing. With the exception of a handful of rigs, the factorys were not yet fully envolved.
    Which begs the question: what "team boat" did "Uncle Carl" pirate to give Jan Schoonover a pair of Super Speedmasters.... since there was no "team" at the time?

I clearly remember George Linder running the Havasu in '67 with his Eltro twin 1100's in T class( he had SSM's). To the point....he had the first pair of Record/Radice cleavers in the States..... and Carl came over and asked to "borrow" them. George got them back 3 months later covered with dimension jottings in black marker..... but he didn't get to run them in the race....

It was in this atmosphere that the guys raced..this was long before the Seebold/Hering/Fountain/Bentz team days.... You got a few crumbs....or engines here and there...but no team......except Offshore of course.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know what! There's one question that has never been asked. How much did factory race team drivers get paid? Hope this doesn't cause any friction!
    Mark N
    "I'ma motorboatin' sonuvabitch!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Record Props

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Which begs the question: what "team boat" did "Uncle Carl" pirate to give Jan Schoonover a pair of Super Speedmasters.... since there was no "team" at the time?

I clearly remember George Linder running the Havasu in '67 with his Eltro twin 1100's in T class( he had SSM's). To the point....he had the first pair of Record/Radice cleavers in the States..... and Carl came over and asked to "borrow" them. George got them back 3 months later covered with dimension jottings in black marker..... but he didn't get to run them in the race....

It was in this atmosphere that the guys raced..this was long before the Seebold/Hering/Fountain/Bentz team days.... You got a few crumbs....or engines here and there...but no team......except Offshore of course.

T2x

I don't know about the Radice handle, but Mersereau ran Record 2 blade reverse rake cleavers on his cats..I ran them at Blue Ridge, Ga in 1961 or 62 on his Power Cat w/800 stackers..the one everyone has seen the pictures of..I had the fastest boat by far, but it was too slow in the turns..my first cat race..They lifted the back of the boat so it would fly level..worked on the straights really well..The props were steel, not stainless, so you had to keep them oiled..Dave Craig ran Carys and Records..he still has some of them..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN4V View Post
    Ya know what! There's one question that has never been asked. How much did factory race team drivers get paid? Hope this doesn't cause any friction!
    Mark N
    Hey Mark, You must be having a laugh !!!!!!! You mean the Greenbacks with writing on it that folds, The stuff you can walk into a shop and actually exchange for goods ??????
    Pat on the head------- good boy racing driver----- have another biscuit !!!!!! was the norm in those days. Not even a tram ticket, even knew a guy who had the slogan "PALADIN !! HAVE BOAT WILL TRAVEL !!!!!! Was called love of the sport. We did get to use good kit and the loan of a boat----------but paid ?????????

Page 69 of 348 FirstFirst ... 19 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 119 169 ... LastLast