User Tag List

Page 66 of 348 FirstFirst ... 16 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 116 166 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    That's what I have been wondering about. Olegator says it looked a lot like his first McCall and you say they said that they used the "lines" of a McCall. I wonder if a McCall might have actually entered the north end of the D.F. Jenks Service Shop and, after some modifications, out of the south end emerged a Geechee? When you first see the red paint, McCall is definately not the first thing that comes to mind. But when you start looking at it's lines, that thought starts to creep into your mind (at least it does in mine).
    I think it was a bit wider than a McCall...
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmith007 View Post
    Mr. Wilson......more Vegas please. LOL. Smitty
    Look Smitty, Willa and Sam and Jim Hunt are doing some exciting digging into who coppied who and maybe close to some answers . Let's see how they do for a while------- I'm off to play boats in the Mediterranian
    [ 270 Sea Ray ] for the weekend, Catch'ya later.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha. I thought it was only in Europe there was deep and devious goings on, sneaky bastards taking measures where they shouldn't be a measuring. Treading dangerous ground there Jim my boy, be careful. Once got sued by cougar boats for saying James Beard copied the Switzer Wing----- still think he did, 40 yrs on!!!!!!! So what's your gut feeling ??????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geechee/McCall.....

Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    I took the full deck McCall to a lot of races and someone could have taken some measurements when I was not around, but my full deck never was in Jenks' shop. Now that I think back, John built an 18' picklefork sometime in 69 or 70. We put my 1250 super BP with stacks on this boat and took it to a marathon in Charleston. John drove it and knocked a hole in the tunnel floor and beached the thing on a mud flat. There was no way to get the thing out of the water at that location so we tried to screw a piece of wood over the hole with no success. mean while the tide had gone out and dark was upon us. Jenks launched some kind of I/O and dragged the boat off the mud flat and to the ramp. We had the trailer in the water but could not get the boat on the trailer before it sank. After getting it on the trailer we towed it to Jenks' shop to dry my engine out. Someone sure could have gotten some measurements off the picklefork while I was getting the engine dried out. I dought John would allow such to happen sinse this was the first boat he built like that one. But who knows?
    As they used to say on Laugh In.....verrrry interesting! What happened to that particular McCall, where did it go after the Charleston race? We may be on to something.
    Last edited by willabee; 05-30-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McCall/Geechee.....

Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    I think y'all are reading a lot more into this story than there really was. Or, maybe I was just naive in my younger days...... As far as where that boat went, I don't have a clue. If I was going to guess, I would say Dave Packer might be a fair guess, since he got a lot of the used McCall's and took them to Hawaii where he would put seats and foot throttles in them.
    Unless someone that knows speaks up, I suppose the only way to find out for sure how much McCall (if any) there was in a Geechee, is to ask Earl Bentz.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Twould appear that since the modern day conception of twin hulled tunnel boats, NONE of the builders are whiter than white---------Purely from my own point of view----Seems Molinari cribbed Torriggia-----Scotti cribbed Moli-----Velden/ Moli,----Cougar/ Hodges / Shakespeare/Miles/ Burgess, ----- Seebold/Moli/Velden. That was in a nutshell what happened this side of the pond. Why the hell would it be any different over there. There was always doubtful and devious working between the camps of builders and manufacturers.
    Guy called "Colonel Peter Tehera" asked me to go with him to Como to buy a new Sprint Molinari with the latest twister 1 stitched to it, in exchange for the latest Shakespeare and Johnson Stinger, which GG took delivery of from Peter. We delivered that new Molinari to Cougars 3 days later. There was double dealing even way back then.

7. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owen L Steele.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    You done a hibernation again Willa ???? We're all waiting with baited whatsits for the Steele /GG. narration. In your own time of course, summers coming, but before the OFFY would be nice.
    A long, long time ago
    In a galaxy far, far away.....

Jimmy Kubasta and Gary Garbrecht were making a living as mechanics in what was called Plant #5, the Boathouse. This was the location that (among other things) ran the static tests on engines against the dock on the Fox River. Before my arrival, Gary had accepted a promotion to be Foreman of an engineering lab on the west end of that building. This department was headed by Dick Snyder and was called the Blue Room. Six or eight engineers reported to Snyder and they worked on various projects for all size engines. Things like improving the fuel consumption of the 10 HP or designing better mounts for the in line six cylinders. That was where I started at Merc, doing wrench work for those engineers. There was a prop lab for the development of new props for all size engines next to the Blue Room that also reported to Snyder and Don Schwebs was the Foreman of that group.

The engineering lab had several different style boats assigned to it in order to cover the variety of work that was done. A wide range that went from Glastron Swingers to Larsen fishing to Switzer Shooting Stars. They also had some big stuff for the four cycle projects. I'm guesssing that because this group could stick a big powerplant on a performance boat, could test and then modify props on the spot and had some really talented people, Bill Steele decided to use this group for enhancing the performance of engines and props as the company slowly began to get into OPC racing. I had heard that Mr. Kiekhaefer had decided to assist some racers that had purchased Mercury engines, not for Merc's advertising efforts, but just to stop OMC from advertising race wins. Have no idea at all if there was any truth to that, but the effort was started just the same. Steele began attending races to find out who was who and to determine how best to assist the top Merc guys.

I'm not sure about what exactly happened first, but my memory starts to come in around the development of the 1250. Seems like the company bought a couple of Checkmates, a Hustler and a Tahiti and started working on new props for the 1000 and the 1250. In addition to the props, they were working on getting more reliability out of the engines, especially the 1250. It was an engine full of problems when it first came out. In 1967 they took a dozen or so complete 1250's to the Salton Sea 500. The only ones that didn't fail were those that were on the boats that flipped (too much HP, not set up right).They would take some of the new props and little changes for the engines and head to a boat race. They would loan the props and install the engine changes to see if the new stuff helped. Gary and Jimmy would usually go, sometimes assisted by Bob Hetzel from the prop lab. I remember Jimmy was building speedmasters for selected drivers and also had a few stacker kits.....guys like Kenny Kitson and Jan Schoonover got those.

To be continued.....
    Last edited by willabee; 06-02-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the stuff we all wanted to hear. Didn't i tell you he was "good for something". Give the boy a "kewpie"?? doll. Pat his head and give him a biscuit. LONG LIVE WILLA !!!!!! Just wish i had the memory and the ability to narrate the way Willa does.----------Just do not take another sabbatical between episodes.
    Can remember ALL the guys except one. Jan Schoonover ????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's the stuff we all wanted to hear. Didn't i tell you he was "good for something". Give the boy a "kewpie"?? doll. Pat his head and give him a biscuit. LONG LIVE WILLA !!!!!! Just wish i had the memory and the ability to narrate the way Willa does.----------Just do not take another sabbatical between episodes.
    Can remember ALL the guys except one. Jan Schoonover ????
    Jan Schoonover............

One of the top Switzer Wing drivers out of Lima, Ohio. His boats were called "The Flying Dutchman" and he owned a Mercury dealership called Lima Marine.....He later started a company called Dutchman Boats building first a wing based hull and later a few tunnel hulls..........

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

11. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think Jackie just missed Jan. Jan faded out about the time Jackie faded in to the US racing scene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dutchman "Wing" from their advertisment and a 16' with Super BP stacker. Notice the wonderful job of "photo shopping" the picture on the cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-007S.JPG   Cover%20Page%20150%20rez.jpg  
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry nice looking Dutchman project. What colors are you going to paint it ??

Jan Schoonover checked out of racing in late 1969...when his dad passed away he then sold everything and walked away from it all. I believe his tunnels were built first then the wing. He built/designed the wing because he couldn't get the Switzers to build one the way he wanted, so he decided to build his own.

15. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Barry nice looking Dutchman project. What colors are you going to paint it ??

Jan Schoonover checked out of racing in late 1969...when his dad passed away he then sold everything and walked away from it all. I believe his tunnels were built first then the wing. He built/designed the wing because he couldn't get the Switzers to build one the way he wanted, so he decided to build his own.
    Sorry i missed him,sounds more like me than i do, if you want something done----do it yourself, must have been a great guy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White hull with orange deck Rick.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry i missed him,sounds more like me than i do, if you want something done----do it yourself, must have been a great guy.
    Nah, nothing like you at all. Very tall, thick head of wavy black hair, great gift of gab and drove a race boat really fast.

Here's a shot of him in his Switzer.....he set a 102 kilo mark in it with stacked 1100's in 1967. Kitson, using 1250's,held it when Jan blew over trying to get it back.....then he built his own boats. Here's a couple of shots of the Dutchman hulls. A few guys had some success with the tunnels, but the Wings were bad news. Far as I recall, they only ran Parker one year and beat the stuffing out of the drivers before breaking apart themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JanS_102mph.JPG   PB 69 Dutchman-Appleton.jpg   DutchmanWING--%20T-1.JPG  

19. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
Page 66 of 348 FirstFirst ... 16 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 116 166 ... LastLast