User Tag List

Page 64 of 348 FirstFirst ... 14 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 114 164 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame on you Willa !!!!!!!!! Started as i was cooking the bacon and eggs for you guys in the Auberge, 'cos you were all pig sick of pasta for breakfast. GG came in and i just said "morning ugly" and it went on from there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You done a hibernation again Willa ???? We're all waiting with baited whatsits for the Steele /GG. narration. In your own time of course, summers coming, but before the OFFY would be nice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder.....is this why Merc came out with the 140 ??? It's out of the 1968 Havasu "Official" race program.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMC-140.jpg  
    Last edited by Old fiberglass; 05-18-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nah, the horsepower race was everywhere ... from 1968 140hp's were 4 years away. A more likely (but still not probable in my opinion) pusher for Merc would have been OMC's threat to break past 99ci to 109.9ci and 119.9ci in 1970. The APBA and NOA OPC commissions asked that OMC withdraw those specs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    C/mon Willa , you must know all about the horsepower race between the camps, and what relation there was between race results and unit sales if any??
    Never did get to grips with technical drawings and specs, was lacking in little grey cells i suppose. Sorry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This used to be an exciting thread, " hot singles" i believe it was called, in the days before y'all ran out of steam and hibernated or went to sleep on the job. Get your lazy butts off'n the air cushion, move the digits.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wild Geechee.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    This used to be an exciting thread, " hot singles" i believe it was called,
    Hey Shorty, can we have a little patience please.....have plenty to put up yet, just have to have some time.

Always thought the Wild Geechee was a Hot Single. Saw this photo on BRF, it was posted by Danny Pigott, saying he was the last of three drivers for this boat. I remember seeing it run at Havasu around 1970, it ran quite well. Maybe Jackie can verify that.... if it was 1970, it probably went by him two or three times before he performed his acrobatic routine. There was a bigger version, a twin maybe that might have run a year later.

Have always thought this was the ride that got Merc to take notice of Earl Bentz and Bucky Morris.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wild Geechee.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 05-26-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the Wild Geechee 1. I also thought the Geechee 2 was a twin but it was just a bigger version of the above boat to handle bigger water. There is a pic of the Geechee 2 in a thread on here somewhere. It had a single Johnson with a megaphone straight out the back.

Anyone have an the real story on the Geechee at Havasu? I heard they flipped the boat on Friday and then a motor problems all weekend. Also heard they flipped during the race and cost them a lot of laps.

I always thought the boat that Harold Eis raced for several years (which was a twin engine) was another one of those unique but fast boats. We have a name for these rare boats....Giant Killers!!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    That is the Wild Geechee 1. I also thought the Geechee 2 was a twin but it was just a bigger version of the above boat to handle bigger water. There is a pic of the Geechee 2 in a thread on here somewhere. It had a single Johnson with a megaphone straight out the back.

Anyone have an the real story on the Geechee at Havasu? I heard they flipped the boat on Friday and then a motor problems all weekend. Also heard they flipped during the race and cost them a lot of laps.

I always thought the boat that Harold Eis raced for several years (which was a twin engine) was another one of those unique but fast boats. We have a name for these rare boats....Giant Killers!!
    Harold Eis raced in a Stylecraft catamaran...... unless he had something else later..... Stylecrafts were not one offs like the Geechee (see another Stylecraft below).

T2x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JoeStevensT-170_edited-1.jpg  
    Last edited by T2x; 05-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Harold Eis raced in a Stylecraft catamaran...... unless he had something else later..... Stylecrafts were not one offs like the Geechee (see another Stylecraft below).

T2x
    Eis's entries are listed as "Eis Super Cats" ... may have been Stylecraft splashes or Stylecraft hulls with decks modified by Eis, I don't know, but they were not entered as Stylecrafts

None the less, the Stylecraft type boat that Eis raced was the type of boat that was most commonly raced twin and triple outboard at the big marathons at Havasu, Parker and Salton Sea before the wings and big tunnels popped up. Rather than a unique new boat, it was a throwback

Whatever Havasu's original Ironman did, he did it right

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see you guys 'cooking with gas' at last---------5'8'' in high heels is not considered short where i come from. !970 was the first time i raced Havasu, but did notice the chrysler with pipes, sounded so different to the Merc and Jonrude. Never looked on them as a serious contender. They did look the part though--quickie gear case----and MEGAPHONES, I had just entered wonderland and, as Willa well knows ----i didn't keep my mind on the job.
    One of the outstanding memoirs of that particular race, was being in the hospital with Joe fielder next door, Then the crazy days in Vegas at Ceasers Palace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see you guys 'cooking with gas' at last---------5'8'' in high heels is not considered short where i come from. !970 was the first time i raced Havasu, but did notice the chrysler with pipes, sounded so different to the Merc and Jonrude. Never looked on them as a serious contender. They did look the part though--quickie gear case----and MEGAPHONES, I had just entered wonderland and, as Willa well knows ----i didn't keep my mind on the job.
    One of the outstanding memoirs of that particular race, was being in the hospital with Joe fielder next door, Then the crazy days in Vegas at Ceasers Palace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Then the crazy days in Vegas at Ceasers Palace.
    OK...Don't stop it there. Inquiring minds need more information???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vegas

Right !!! Come on Jackie give us the scoop. I was a bit "tied up" for that run but wasn't Pruitt and a rent car involved in that ?? I may have the Vegas run confused with a Parker run. Don told me about a trip back to Vegas with (I think) two rent cars playing racie racie through the desert. Wasn't much left of either at the return desk.
    Anyway, let's hear it

Fielder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5'8'' in high heels is not considered short where i come from
    Jackie probably had a hard time driving the rent-a-car in high heels.

Page 64 of 348 FirstFirst ... 14 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 114 164 ... LastLast