User Tag List

Page 58 of 348 FirstFirst ... 8 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 108 158 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie
    you mentioned Dr. Gordon Blair in a previous post.
    http://www.optimum-power.com/abstract16.htm
    Its a good read.
    Regards

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have a copy of his original book from 1990. It has all the theories and fundamentals.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    jackie
    You Mentioned Dr. Gordon Blair In A Previous Post.
    http://www.optimum-power.com/abstract16.htm
    Its A Good Read.
    Regards
    Wow !!!!!!!! That Is One Smart Doc. Bet He Knows Damn Near As Much As T2x. Great Guy To Sit Down And Have A Meal With, And Much Admired By Many Famed Companies. Only Met Him Twice And Enjoyed Both Occasions. The Last Time Was Pprize Giving At The Paris 6 Hours, With Doc Morgan And David Parkinson.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard Dr Blair is working with Evinrude now, or somethng to that effect..along with another very famous 2 stroke engineer..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Wow !!!!!!!! That Is One Smart Doc. Bet He Knows Damn Near As Much As T2x. .

That's Doctor T2x to you........

Please keep an eye out for My book........ "My Life as an amateur Gynocologist"...or as it was titled in Britain..."How I learned to REALLY keep an eye on women" .
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Doc, i just kinda got ahead of myself for a while. That's what happens when you got too much time on your hands and you mix with the elite
    Didn't get a chance to read your book!!!!!! but i saw the film the last time i went to the movies 1972 wasn't it ???? Sophia and Gina ???? didn't Clark play Doc T2X ???
    Next time round---i want to be a Gyno whatchamacallit but professional, instead of messing around in boats !!!!!!!!!!!!
    On second thoughts, cancel the last utterance, i had more fun playing boats with all the encumberances that came with the job

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1972 OWC Havasu (first singles only year)

Found these placemats in an attic box headed for the trash. BTW Johnny Sanders won and Bert Serra finished second. Hering and Renato blew over before their first lap. Garbrecht knew he was in D.S. losing team C-6 drivers #1 and #2 so early. As they say, the rest is history. See restaurant placemats found at EVERY restaurant and bar that epic year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering.....

Quote Originally Posted by swshawaii View Post
    Found these placemats in an attic box headed for the trash. BTW Johnny Sanders won and Bert Serra finished second. Hering and Renato blew over before their first lap. Garbrecht knew he was in D.S. losing team C-6 drivers #1 and #2 so early. As they say, the rest is history. See restaurant placemats found at EVERY restaurant and bar that epic year.
    Were you at that race..... did you know Gary?

Here are the placemats you were talking about. They were OMC's answer to the placemats Merc had supplied to the restaurants in 1971. Those mats featured a photo of Merc's new Twistercraft and a TI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Singles 097.jpg   Hot Singles 100.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were OMC's answer to the placemats Merc had supplied to the restaurants in 1971.
    Do you have a picture of them as well ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merc placemat.....

Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Do you have a picture of them as well ??
    I don't have a picure, but have the placemat. When I run across it, I'll take the picture and post. When posted, it will be hard to see clearly. As I recall, the Merc mat was done in a blue overlay that made reading an original difficult.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this ad in Powerboat....got to give the OMC guys a little air time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powerboat-Berlin.jpg   Powerboat-Scotti.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting rumblings in Powerboat....Even mentioned Jackie...didn't see anything about Willabee though Zoomed in on a few sections of it...don't think it's readable in it's full format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powerboat-Mercury.jpg   Powerboat-Mercury-a.jpg   Powerboat-Mercury-b.jpg   Powerboat-Mercury-c.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Found this ad in Powerboat....got to give the OMC guys a little air time.
    Why?
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mel Zikes column.....

Interesting rumblings in Powerboat.....
    In the article referencing the "long Molinari" for Paris, Zikes is talking about a 21' twin that Renato had built for himself to run special events in Europe. One of the ideas for the 1971 race was to take that big boat, put a C6 on it and set it up to go as fast as that engine could push it. It would be able to get over water that would cause the faster but smaller hulls to back off and maybe it would be able to average a better pace around the course as a result.

I think this idea was the result of Merc running a 16' sprint in Paris the year before and then listening to Jim Merten, Bill Sirois and Tom Stickle talk about how difficult and dangerous it was to try to keep that little speed demon on the water. Anyway, the decision was made and a couple of C6 powerheads were built by Dr. Ted Morgans's group in Fond du Lac and sent to us for transport to Italy with the rest of our equipment.

When I looked at those powerheads, I remember seeing some things that I thought would never last the rigors of a six hour run on the rough River Seine. The way that they were mounted was not strong enough. I also noticed that the side plate used to mount the electrical components was made from about 1/2" stainless, a huge overkill! I decided that I would make some changes before they were crated for shipment.....turns out, not a good idea.

Don't remember why, but do recall that when I went to mount the coil to the new, lighter aluminum plate, I was unable to use the mounting bracket the guys in Fondy had fabricated. Ultimately, I took a standard bracket, did some grinding and trimming and presto, I had my mount. Finished the other mods and smiled.....(I thought) they were better than received.

To no surprise, the boat proved to be the slowest of our six entrys, with Billy Don Pruett seeing speeds that peaked around 85. But it was stable, turned well and had decent accelleration (it was a lightweight 21'). Off to Paris and into the race. Although it never challenged for the lead, my recollection is that it ran in the top ten on the lead lap. As attrition continued to improve the water conditions, it probably wasn't going to challenge for the lead. The question was going to be whether or not the boats in front of it would stay upright and/or break something that would take them out. Unfortunately, it turned out that it didn't matter if either of those scenarios would take place.

I don't remember how deep into the race it was, but I'm guessing hour number five. It didn't come back on a return leg and then, finally, we saw that a safety boat had it in tow. Pruett said "it just quit running" and we hooked it to the crane and put it on the trailer. I went up to take a peak (we didn't want anyone to see what was under the hood) and was 'shocked' when I gave the cowl a lift. There was the ignition coil laying on the lower pan.....one of my 'great engineering changes' to get that powerhead through a six hour race had failed! I had ground the mounting bracket too thin and it had broken completely. Although intentions were good, results stunk and intentions didn't rank too high on anyones 'happy meter' that day.
    Last edited by willabee; 02-05-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willabee...As usual, your accounts are always fascinating. I am not sure if this is one of those that one would categorized as: no good deed goes unpunished or the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I can't even imagine what Sir Jackie is going to have to say about this one. You are brave to put this out there

Page 58 of 348 FirstFirst ... 8 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 108 158 ... LastLast