User Tag List

Page 55 of 348 FirstFirst ... 5 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 105 155 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    Here are a few "Hot Singles". First is Bob Hering and I can't remember if it is Denny or Dewey driving the Twistercraft.
    It was Duane (Duey) Berghauer that set the "U" Class record in Lil Blue. He went 113 and Hering went 118 to set the "S" mark.....Kaukauna 1973.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    How About Screaming Yellow Zonkers ???????? Peacock Before Mercury Ruined Him. You Remember His Gorgeous Wife ? [wasn't Her Name Margaret ?]
    Peacock's wife at the time was Meg. I used to call her Megaphone, because she was always talking.....she was a "Knockout" .

The guy you don't recognize (wearing the hat) is Kenny Kitson.
    Last edited by willabee; 03-02-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I think you got all of your guesses right.....I can add

Front, left blury...Ted May
    Rear, tall slender standing on left...Bill Wiles
    Far right, standing, black jacket with white hat...Rich Marshall

Willabee isn't that you between John Gibbs and Clint Beard? Not sure who is next to Reggie but isn't that Peacock behind him? Bill Seebold is behind Nordskog. For you OMC guys is that Tim Briggs sitting on the left side of the photo.
    I thought the front left was Dick Sherrer but you may be right in Ted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    The 2nd shot is also the Kaukauna gathering. This time the boys are in the bar, but only having a Coke so they have not yet made the record attempt. Left to right are Jimmy Kubasta, Boob Hetzel, Dick Klawitter (standing) Merc PR, Jim Merten, Bill Allan, Gene Treichel, Dr. Morgan, the guy I don't recognize, and Rick LaMore.

Bill your memory is still great. I have a number of other shots from the record run and hopefully will be able to get them scanned tomorrow and posted.

The guy sitting in the sun who is hard to recognize, I believe, is Bob Mendaleski. The original is a little easier to make out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    Here is the drivers meeting at Provo from early 70's. Anyone look familiar?
    This photo is like an eye test....but here goes.....

The guy closest to the camera....lower left and blurry....looks like Jack Leek.

Just over his right shoulder...looks very much like a young MBD29.....

next to that (mbd29?) guy (on his immediate left) looks like Bobby Hering's eyeball and haircut peeking out.....

Then there's a guy with glasses I don't recognise......right behind him looks like Jimbo....then as you move towards his REggieness there's a guy sort of standing that looks like Stickle......

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    This photo is like an eye test....but here goes.....
    T2x
    If it's an eye test, you need some new cheaters.

mbd29.....that's not me between Gibbs & Byrd (Beard), I'm much bigger and better looking. Is that you in front of Ted May (or Jack Leek according to the blind guy).
    Last edited by willabee; 02-27-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
    Hey there Jackie! I always get a chuckle from your musings. How's about some pics and details about your Cosworth KT?

I heard it was pretty awesome at the time.

Hope all's well with your Cataract operation.

Regards

Brian
    HIYA BRIAN, ALL O.K. WITH THE FIRST CAT OP., THE 2ND COMES THE END OF NEXT MONTH I JUST LOVE TO GET FOLKS A CHUCKLING !!!!!!! IF YOU COULD HAVE ONLY SEEN THE LOOK ON GARBRECHTS FACE WHEN WE TURNED UP AT BRISTOL WITH IT, 10 MINUTES BEFORE THE END OF QUALIFYING, BOLTED THE REAR WING ON AND SET THE FASTEST TIME------I TELL YOU IT WAS A PICTURE------- HIM AND JACK LEEK CAME ACROSS TO THE PITS HOLDING OUT THE UIM RULE BOOK AND HOLLERING AND SCREAMING -----THAT F------ING THING AINT NEVER AN OUTBOARD IN A MILLION YEARS. I REPLIED " I KNOW THAT. YOU KNOW THAT, BUT IT CONFORMS TO THE UIM RULES , AND IT DON'T BREAK DOWN LIKE AN OUTBOARD'
    THEY CALLED IN CHARLIE SHEPPARD AND THE UIM DELEGATE AND THE SCRUTINEERS AND THE SAFETY OFFICERS DEMANDING THE BOAT SHOULD BE BARRED FROM COMPETING. WAS THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS OMC. AND MERCURY TALKED TO EACH OTHER, BUT IT DIDN'T WORK, I RAN THE BOAT , LED FROM THE START AND SPUN THE DAMN THING ON THE BOTTOM TURN. IT SURE WAS FUN TO HAVE THE WORLD SPLIT IN TWO-------THEM THAT WAS FOR, AND THEM THAT WAS AGAINST. WILLABEE HAS SOME PICTURES OF THE RIG, BUT IF THERE'S HALF A CHANCE YOU CAN RECOGNISE IT'S ME DRIVING ------------HE WON'T SHOW YOU. BUTLER HAS SOME TOO, BUT MERCURY EMPLOYEES ARE BOUND HAND AND FOOT IN A WALL OF TOGETHERNESS AND DEVIATION-DUBIOUSNESS AND DOUBTFULNESS. ASK THEM NICELY AND THEY WILL PROBABLY SHOW YOU THE BOAT WITH THE DRIVER HIDDEN.
    WILL TELL YOU THE FULL STORY OF HOW THE BOAT WAS CONCEIVED IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED AND IT WAS AFTER ALL A VERY HOT SINGLE.

/Users/jackwilson/Desktop/Fairford__1978__2.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jackie

Good to hear you are ok after your op, Did you have a clutch pedal
    on the cosworth and if so how could it be used.

Regards Rob.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert j garner View Post
    Hi Jackie

Good to hear you are ok after your op, Did you have a clutch pedal
    on the cosworth and if so how could it be used.

Regards Rob.
    Hiya Rob, All o.k. after the op. thanks. No , there was no clutch pedal- had a centrifugal clutch which came in at 4,500 rpm. so you could play on the throttle till then -------just floor it-------the revs hit 8,500 and only came down when my balls weren't big enough,
    The DFV was governed to 85000 giving around 400 hp. Andretti was driving for Colin Chapman at Lotus around that time and had some 600 hp and 10,500 revs. He was F1 spec , i was running Le Mans spec.
    On initial tests we used to twist the drive shaft clean in two on a regular basis 'till Duckworth designed a half inch quill shaft, which never ever broke. The boat never had a breakdown in it's whole career. and ran like clockwork.
    Modern engines like ILMOR and COSWORTH are so damn near engineering perfection that you could stick one in a boat and run it for years, providing it had the usual lube and cooling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WILL TELL YOU THE FULL STORY OF HOW THE BOAT WAS CONCEIVED IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED AND IT WAS AFTER ALL A VERY HOT SINGLE.
    I think you know the answer to that...but are teasing us. Pictures would be great to see as well...

P.S - Boating in AZ is great this time of year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bough this picture off ebay a few weeks ago - Lake Powell.
    Had to share it with you, thought you would like it.
    I had it made into a 24x36 poster. way cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lake powell.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JACKIE!

Of course we would all like the FULL story! I can just imagine Garbrecht and Leek with their rule books.....................I can't understand why......I'm sure they both had them memorized given the "innovations" we all witnessed.!
    Dick and I talked about converting our Moly; however didn't have the knowledge or resources to think along your trann of thought and thr "KT" class was mostly on the west coast. So............we took it to South Africa and ran 2nd to Jimbos rotary!
    It sure must have been a great ride. Too bad a class didn't develop from it. Those small block Chevys of the period weren't reliable enough and too heavy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    I think you know the answer to that...but are teasing us. Pictures would be great to see as well...

P.S - Boating in AZ is great this time of year.
    I concur!

PS. Boatings pretty good here in the south of Mexico too! (All year round).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    Hi Jackie,
    I do think that was a boat I was asked to drive a shift if it was shipped into NYC and I would agree to get it to the West Coast for Parker. Long time ago but I think it got into the Parker race without my help. Bad for me, it would have been a great ride.
    John Sherlock
    Hiya John, Nothing wrong with your little grey cells---i did explore every avenue of transportation to find the CHEAPEST way possible to ship the boat to HAVASU. Had already shipped the little Cosworth to Valleyfield in '76 and the cost had been prohibitive, [didn't have a sugar daddy sponsor to pick up the tab] just a busy little marine garage in West Sussex.. Not to worry, there was a fairy godfather waiting in the wings, who said "what's all the fuss about, just take it to Heathrow, put it on a 747 and fly it to L/A. This was an old friend i had met in Paris a few years earlier, had been involved in race boats since the 1930's--BEDFORD DAVIES. He picked up the air fare for the Boat, which was $12,000. He later helped Garbrecht with the V8 record run. [another story]. So that's the reason i never got back to you John. Brett May towed the boat from L/A to Havasu and had a quick 5 minutes to learn how it ticked, [poor old Brett was on a hiding to nothing, as he had been told under no circumstance drive the boat over your head, !!!!!!!!!! or risk any damage!!!! what a way to become a co-pilot ???]
    Duckworth decided we had to put a temperature guage in the gear case, with a red light on the dash when it got a bit warm, and change the sprint gearcase to one of the huge marathon beasts only Oshberg and Lake X could dream up. This meant i didn't have a single prop i could run. Called Rolla in Switzerland and he worked all day and sent it Fedex the next day. Bloody thing was miles too big in diameter and Hetzel [bless his little heart] worked untold hours grinding the full half inch off a dreadful piece of kit. Eventually we had a rig that would plane after a struggle, with o top speed 10 mph short of it's norm. But was that thing reliable, pure clockwork, The only hiccup we had was when Duckworth decided we needed to change the gear case after 4 hrs. The bloody thing would not let go and even with Gerry Gilbraith holding the whole back end clear, it took hammer and chisel to get it off, Back on the water, it just ran and ran, black and white motors kept breaking, but we just kept hauling mail.
    at the 6th hour the red light came on and i thought oh-s--t, so stopped on the course for a couple of minutes and then fired up again. the red light went out and we continued to the end.
    Bretts dad was chief overlord and God, and had asked if i would make up the KT class as there were only 3 runners signed in, i said i didn't care what we ran in. We finished 68 miles in front of the next inboard [Jack D'eath] and 5th overall but Mr May said we were running and i quote "an un-american engine" unquote. Brett went totally ape sh-t and only sister Karen kept him from doing terminal damage to his father.
    Mr Rickey and his secretary [ The blonde MISS DEE ] threatened to bar me from all future races in the US. unless we gave him an exclusive. told him to piss off, and we were never friends again.
    Cosworth learned a lot from this encounter with U.S. federal laws. and the rocker covers to this day are FORD . Brett and i are still friends and i didn't ever see George May again, But i do hope to bump into the lovely Karen sometime.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
    JACKIE!

Of course we would all like the FULL story! I can just imagine Garbrecht and Leek with their rule books.....................I can't understand why......I'm sure they both had them memorized given the "innovations" we all witnessed.!
    Dick and I talked about converting our Moly; however didn't have the knowledge or resources to think along your trann of thought and thr "KT" class was mostly on the west coast. So............we took it to South Africa and ran 2nd to Jimbos rotary!
    It sure must have been a great ride. Too bad a class didn't develop from it. Those small block Chevys of the period weren't reliable enough and too heavy.
    Garbrecht himself was the reason the Cosworth was finally put together, but there were one or two mitigating circumstances that formed a chain of events which led up to it's birth.
    Windermere [72 i think] . Shakey was at the bottom of the lake after stuffing the AVON SPECIAL, and just disappearing to the depths. I was running the beautiful sprint 15/16' Molinari with a 1000 BP. On a calm day it was more than a match for the 1250BP or the CCC's or the new Rotary of OMC, but i was following Shakey when he went under and was upset beyond words. We all thought a lot of this little chap. I thought the meeting should have been cancelled, but G/G insisted we all ran. My heart was just not in the race, and i drove well within the limits , doing just enough to win the OI class. Garbrecht was spitting feathers when i got back to the pits, told me that was the last i would drive for Mercury and he was taking the boat and engine back to the U.S. I quite naturally told him he could use his rectum as a garage for the boat and i would build my own outboard and show him how it should be done, !!!!!!!!! These were just words spoken in anger and dissapointment. [i was the only Mercury driver who refused a ride in an OMC, and to this day have never driven one].
    For the next year i concentrated on the marine business and never gave racing a second thought, Then one day i met Bill Brown who was one of the founders of Cosworth and we got to chatting about putting a 2 litre 4 pot Cosworth in a boat. We did a deal whereby i would get the boat built and he would supply the engine and keep it running, i would supply the leg and props. Went to see Freddy Miles and told him what was wanted and he got his boatbuilder [Dave Burgess] to build the hull. Asked Mercury if they would do me deal on a stern drive but was shown the front door. Had to buy a complete unit in the end which gave me a vauxhall straight six to sell. this was a lorry engine, but i did find a buyer, guy had a Vauxhall Cresta with a blown lump, it fitted straight in and the day was saved.
    The hull was a success, Fred had got it right and Bill called it VENUS. Bill was a bit of a hit and miss driver. If he missed everybody on the course, the boat usually did well, but he had a habit of hitting other drivers, and he either sank them or they sank him. It was an unholy alliance and ended in Rotterdam when he dropped the boat off the crane, i was scheduled to drive in Amsterdam 2 weeks later, but he said he was going to drive so we had a parting of the ways. I remember being not best pleased at the time [in fact i was well pissed off with Bill]. So i remember Roger Hook had been playing about with a SCIMITAR hull, but had died some months before and the project had laid dormant. Bought the hull off his widow Sandra and worked night and day for the next 10 days and got the boat ready for Amsterdam, with the help of my Mechanic and friend Chas Shooter. The boat had never been in the water, let alone tested, Rolla had designed a prop and sent it to Amsterdam, but there was no time left, we just made drivers meeting and the course was closed. We had so much work left to do, that i was still 10 feet in the air facing the dock wall as the clock started on the 60 second countdown, told Chas ,if he didn't get me down and facing the right way in the next 30 secs, i would personally organise his demise. 3 secs to go ,Chas unclips the slings and leaps on to the dock, I am between Spalding and Percival, hit the starter button and the boat takes off like POLARIS, miles too much trim and the boat tail walks all the way down the course, turn the first buoy and am amazed to find i am all alone and on my own. [ if anyone is interested i will tell them about the first inboard win in 10 years] to be continued-----------

Page 55 of 348 FirstFirst ... 5 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 105 155 ... LastLast