User Tag List

Page 51 of 348 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 101 151 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That boat was raced in the Amsterdam 3 hour race. It was very rough and the boat was doing well until it nosedived. I have often wondered why it was never seen again on smoother water. I too would be interested in knowing if the center hull section remained low back to the transom like a Mod-VP or it terminated somewhere aft of the driver.

Interesting how many years later the same basic concept is thought up again......look at a Quartermaster!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you guys noticed that Jackie's posts always make a little more sense after you've drank a pint or two?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=peterse90;1548905][quote=jackie wilson;----Pity 'cos it's such a great piece of the boating heritage !!!!!! C'mon guys, we were just having a little fun, the way boating folks do. Let's get back to some history. Bring in a little controversy, pick out a few names to throw things at.

OK Jackie, I've always liked somebody who dares to do it different...what can you tell us about James Beard's attempts at building something different from a tunnel for circuit racing....[/QUOTE]

James was a great character and we were friends for many years. His first shot at something different was copying the Switzer wing and calling it "VOLARE". He first saw it at Havasu in '69. and built the prototype soon after. I used to do a column in the Powerboat mag. and said he got the idea and copied the Switzer. I got a letter from a high class London lawyer claiming defamitory allegations and wanting a retraction as James had thought of this all by himself. Needless to say, i said if he wanted a fight we could have one. But it all fizzled out in the end . There was never any doubt where the idea came from. The friendship waned a little after that.
    The guys behind Cougar were James Beard , the get up and go one of the three. Chris Hodges, who was a first class antique restorer and a brilliant boat builder, Clive Curtis, pushed a good broom and was the accountant who held it together.
    Who can ever forget HUMMINBIRD as it raced under the water in Paris. And the first camelback tunnel.
    The three pointer had one or two nasty habits of biting when least expected and did not last long after the development stage.
    The best guy to tell you all of this is Clive Curtis who is alive and well. [if you can get him off the golf course] Son Steve joined the company in the later days and i'm quite sure he knows a lot of the offshore Cougars ,but he may be a bit sketchy of the early years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    Have you guys noticed that Jackie's posts always make a little more sense after you've drank a pint or two?
    Your making history there boy, NOBODY ever made any sense out of my utterings sober or pissed. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe after over 77,000 hits i killed this thread. Sorrreeeeeee.
    Don't anybody race HOT SINGLES anymore.
    EVERYBODY CANNOT HAVE RETIRED !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"wheelie bars" maybe off topic still a curiousity

Hello Mr. Wilson, so lets have the thread going again then !
    Ps. last time I met you I think it was in Alphen an der Rijn NL 1976, I raced in class ON, a red Molinari (avatar pic) or maybe in Drammen a couple of years later ?
    Anyway a few pics of Dieter Schulze's boat that he raced in Berlin 1972, class OI... must be the longest "wheelie bars" ever ?
    Best reagrds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1972 6- stunden Berlin Dieter Schulze.jpg   1972 6- stunden Berlin Dieter Schulze b.jpg   1972 6- stunden Berlin Dieter Schulze c.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone wrote into Powerboat Magazine years ago about putting "stingers" out the back of a tunnel boat to drag the water once the boat reached a certain angle. Maybe that is the idea. I don't see them serving much areo function as the air can still spill out of the tunnel in front of the engine and around the outsides of the long extentions.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My old Marathon Tunnel had big afterplanes on it. It ran good but had a lot of lift in it.
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyder von Tangen View Post
    Ps. last time I met you I think it was in Alphen an der Rijn NL 1976, I raced in class ON, a red Molinari (avatar pic) or maybe in Drammen a couple of years later ?
    Anyway a few pics of Dieter Schulze's boat that he raced in Berlin 1972, class OI... must be the longest "wheelie bars" ever ?
    Best reagrds
    Hiya Lyder, Yes ,i was in Alphen in 76, with the 2 litre Cosworth. This was when i first realised that the outboards had nothing like the horsepower they were reported to have. I had 250 hp and a lot of weight, but the outboards were supposed to have 275/300 hp. Somebody ,somewhere was telling "Porkies".
    This was in the days of Velden, Pelster,Molinari, Bentz, Percival and Spalding etc., It was the first time out with a new design Hodges with variable front wing, the motor controlling the wing kept on running every time i touched it, so it was all or nothing. I never did get to work properly and another idea bit the dust. However we were always in contention and i finally finished up 4th, which was not bad for a well past his prime old fart with less [purported] power than the outboards, and a highly experimental boat. Nice to talk after all these years, keep up the good work, and see if we can get Willabee's 'HOT SINGLES' up to 80,000 hits.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best reagrds
    Dieter was one of the truly 'great' boat racers and thinkers. A good friend of Konig, [who he used to race against , also Angelo Molinari]. I bought my 2nd tunnel boat from him in '75, and went early to collect it------was amazed to find it was the lady who fed the chickens who was building the boat. Stayed with him near Saltzberg on several occasions and sold quite a number of boats for him to people like Mike Rose, Denny Burton, Bob Spalding etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dieter Schulze

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Dieter was one of the truly 'great' boat racers and thinkers. A good friend of Konig, [who he used to race against , also Angelo Molinari]. I bought my 2nd tunnel boat from him in '75, and went early to collect it------was amazed to find it was the lady who fed the chickens who was building the boat. Stayed with him near Saltzberg on several occasions and sold quite a number of boats for him to people like Mike Rose, Denny Burton, Bob Spalding etc.
    I loved that sound from your Cosworth, allthough I was not happy when you passed me all the time !

When I collected my first SE cat at Schulzes workshop in 1971 a couple
    of gentlemen from the local home were laying under it sanding !!
    Best regards
    Lyder
    PS. Like Dieter Schulze I think Chris Hodges was far ahead too compared to their time !.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved that sound from your Cosworth, allthough I was not happy when you passed me all the time !

When I collected my first SE cat at Schulzes workshop in 1971 a couple
    of gentlemen from the local home were laying under it sanding !!
    Best regards
    Lyder
    PS. Like Dieter Schulze I think Chris Hodges was far ahead too compared to their time !.

Old peoples home I mean !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dieter did not spend a dollar when the item could be had for 50 cents !!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brakes !!!

Another curiosity : brakes ! This picture from Drammen 1978 (Jackie correct me if I am wrong, I think you were ther too) Tom Percivals boat. The brakes hidden behind the little wooden bok seeen on the end of the sponson, brakes was prohibited same season. Some hit from behind accidents occured as not everybody had the brakes installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1977 Drammen Tom P.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another curiosity : brakes ! This picture from Drammen 1978 (Jackie correct me if I am wrong, I think you were ther too) Tom Percivals boat. The brakes hidden behind the little wooden bok seeen on the end of the sponson, brakes was prohibited same season. Some hit from behind accidents occured as not everybody had the brakes installed.

That and the fact that they tended to rip the transoms out of the sponsons made them "interesting" to apply.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 51 of 348 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 101 151 ... LastLast