User Tag List

Page 50 of 348 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 100 150 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parker 1975.....

This is the 2nd time they ran 7 hours rather than the normal 9, but a few "firsts" happened just the same. A Mercury outboard finally led the first lap and the first lap leader won the race.....neither feat had been accomplished before! Maybe the most impressive of the "firsts" was the average speed record set.....700 miles were traveled in 7 hours!!!!! Officially, Bob Hering and Renato Molinari averaged 100.285 in their T3 powered Molinari pickle fork (what else would Renato be driving ). They ran one hour fuel loads but I don't think that was to keep the boat light. It was more to give the drivers a rest from the steering torque the T3 was putting on their arms. That's five pit stops and still averaging over 100 mph.....I was impressed then and I am to this day .

From Powerboat Magazine here is a shot of the winning team.... Hering, Race Director Gary Garbrecht, Renato. A shot of the color and excitement that is the Parker Enduro and a shot of the new logo that appeared on Molinari's hull.

To be continued.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hering, Garbrecht, Molinari Parker 1975.jpg   Parker Beauty 1975.jpg   New Molinari Logo - 1975.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-11-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parker 1975.....con't

There wasn't a lot of factory stuff in this race, but what was entered were the big guns of the day. Hering/Molinari & Seebold/Vander Velden with T3's and McConnell/Woods & Sanders/Posey with V6's.

There were a bunch of very strong KT's and one of them took the lead when Hering pitted for fuel. It stayed in front for about 15 laps (about 200 miles), averaging over 100 mph until something broke. All of the "Hot" KT's experienced some type of little gremlin that took them out of contention for the win, but they sure were looking like they could run with the factory outboards. Hering/Molinari took the lead back and stayed there the rest of the way. The Seebold/Van der Velden powerhead let go so the defending champs had a short day.

OMC also lost the Sanders/Posey entry about half way through, leaving Jimbo & Barry to chase the Merc.....they did finish 2nd, one lap back. Fred Hauenstein & Ron Hill drove a V4 Scotti to 3rd overall and 1st in the "S" class.

From Powerboat, here are some not so good pictures of the top three finishers. It sure looks like Ron Hill needs to get a bigger boat, he is just bulging out of that cockpit . The shot of Hering is so blurry you probably can't tell that he is looking back, way over his left shoulder. The water is dead calm.....that has to be the 1st lap as he is passing the pits and he is looking back trying to figure out where the heck everyone else had gone. Merc was using radios by this time and claim Seebold was told to stay back. I don't buy that, if they could have done the first lap parade that OMC had pulled off the previous two years, they wouldn't have hesitated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hering - Molinari T3 Parker 1975.jpg   Jimbo - Woods V6 Parker 1975.jpg   Hill - Hauenstein V4 Parker 1975.jpg  
    Last edited by willabee; 12-11-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willabee- will you name the factory Merc drivers from your post? Was the pix taken in Havasu?

Thx-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    Stock SST-140 Just ran it WFO for the 7 hours..
    Drivers: John Sherlock, Rick Adamczyk, Alan Wagner

..... What is the combo you're running.....what kind of fuel load.....what was your average speed for the 7 hours.....who were the big guns.....any strong KT's (or ET's or IT's or whatever they called themselves in 88).....who won.....driving what.....winners average speed?

I know Mr. Ricky did things a little differently, but that still seems like a strange headline. Was there a reason for him to phrase it like that?
    Last edited by willabee; 12-11-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda wierd headline John: Your engine? What about the boat and drivers?

PS: It's nice and warm here....none of that white stuff either...............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

AAH Mister Rickey

Mister Rickey was a businessman first, last and always and there were two things that he practiced consisitently:

1. He followed the money...so Acadian probably wouldn't give him any for the cover.

2. He NEVER used a woman's name..... "Here's Joe Blow and his lovely wife."....."Our Candid camera catches Bill Blah kissing his lovely girlfriend."..
    "Sam Speed and his beautiful daughter share a post race smile for our lense."

Strange and quirky guy.......

Classic story...... in later years Rickey had his annual "Caesars Awards" in Vegas. He informed Phil Lewis producer of NNRT tapes, who I flew with, that we had won "Video Producer of the Year". He hinted that a table at the banquet had been "reserved" for a hefty chunk of change and that the NNRT team would be "honored on stage" and "in print". Phil told him in no uncertain terms that we wouldn't be attending. Rickey responded that the trophy was rather large and would be expensive and difficult to ship. Phil looked around and found a small box, walked over to Ricky and said "Here, break it into small pieces and wedge it in there..... If there's any pieces left, go ahead and throw them out".

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 12-12-2008 at 09:03 AM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be Happy To.....

Quote Originally Posted by SCT View Post
    Willabee- will you name the factory Merc drivers from your post? Was the pix taken in Havasu?...Thx-
    I assume you're talking about post # 757.....Miami Marine Stadium, 1972

#457 Bob Hering
    #251 Mike Downard
    #554 Renato Molinari
    #730 Bill Allan
    #254 Tom Stickle
    #148 Dick Scherrer
    #190 Bill Seebold
    #998 Bill Sirois
    #22 Gary Peacock
    #199 Bill Petty
    Last edited by willabee; 01-19-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apology.....

Quote Originally Posted by J. Sherlock View Post
    I built the engine and that year I built a number of winning engines in OPC and Offshore,, Maybe that is his reason for phrasing it that way?? Yes Mercury engines but re-built by me. I think in 88 I built better than 35 engines. "John Sherlock's outboard engine",,,, could be an OXYMORON !!

This was one of the ET Boats:

I didn't know you built engines, it all makes perfect sense now. Did Mr. Rickey really send you a bill for that cover? Looks like there were some very tough ET's in that race.

I see you remember the oxymoron incident.....it was kind of funny

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Laughart

This is absolutely the funniest few posts I have seen in a long time. You guys have me laughing so hard I just let a laughart. - Steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Steve, Have never really got to grips with the way colonials have mutilated the English language !!!!!!!!! Tell me honestly , serious question,---IS A LAUGHART THE SAME AS A-----LOVE PUFF ????????

just kidding !!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie - I believe that the final expulsion is much the same. The laughart is much the same as a coughart. The only real difference is what caused it. As to the love "puff"; we in the conus would spell it love "poof". Perhaps one defining circumstance would be whether one is on the giving or receiving end of the equation. Normally, this particular type would be provided by the female of the species followed by a hearty laughart from the male of the species. By the way, that is something that I have definately experienced. Now the interesting aspect of this subject is that ones propensity to deliver both the laughart and the coughart tends to increase with ones age. Therefore, for the younger of the population, worry not, your time will come. One must also realize that quality depends on the density of "ghart" molecules in a given atmosphere. Please know that density does not neccsarily directly relate to tonal quality. The tonal and loudness quality of any "ghart" is the determining factor of the responding "laughart" or, in my case, the "guffawart". I hope this helps you to gain a better understanding of the "colonial gharting" characteristics. This is a subject that I have studied since my Junior High School days and I would be more than happy to deliver a dissertation in order to further enlighten my friends from the UK. Best Regards - Steve
    Last edited by seeroy; 12-16-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you light em ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sod my old britches Stevo!!!!!!!, and i thought Willabee was a tad Thesaurusical, turns out he ain't even an also ran. ME ? not in the same league !!!!! But i have an afterthought------ You never mentioned the one thing that really matters----------THE STINK !!!
    If you ever come over to Europe , you will very quickly realize that 'puff' and 'poof' are not that closely related, "puff" is as of the wind and stink !!! whilst POOF is of the shirt lifter ETC-ETC-ETC- Hope this clarifies the situation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess we put the kybosh on ' THE HOT SINGLES' thread Steve.---------Pity 'cos it's such a great piece of the boating heritage !!!!!! C'mon guys, we were just having a little fun, the way boating folks do. Let's get back to some history. Bring in a little controversy, pick out a few names to throw things at. Had a very old 'Speed-n-Spray magazine of around the mid 60's. but it's gone missing years ago.--------On the front cover was a Ford engined boat [Mandella i think]. It won the ELSINORE 500 and one of the 3 guys who piloted the boat was Rudy Ramos. The whole set up was conceived round a pot bellied stove in a garden shed. Anyone out there remember this?????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=jackie wilson;----Pity 'cos it's such a great piece of the boating heritage !!!!!! C'mon guys, we were just having a little fun, the way boating folks do. Let's get back to some history. Bring in a little controversy, pick out a few names to throw things at.

OK Jackie, I've always liked somebody who dares to do it different...what can you tell us about James Beard's attempts at building something different from a tunnel for circuit racing....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image-1.jpg  

Page 50 of 348 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 100 150 ... LastLast