Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall ever seeing a G.W. Invader run in South Florida. Down here the production classes were dominated by Checkmates, Allisons and Hydrostreams or clones thereof.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    There is no question about this shot ..... It is me doing a Merc PR photo shoot for some advertising being developed for the 1000 BP. This is not the same boat that set the kilo record, I think this is a 16' model. Not near as fast or as sleak as the 14'er. I had made several runs past the photographer at a reasonable speed, but he said he just couldn't catch a good shot of the motor.

He asked me reduce speed to a crawl and to put-put past him as close as possible to his boat. I said if that was all they needed from the driver for this project, they should have gotten Jackie Wilson! You are looking at the result ..... dorky, but I'm pretty sure this picture is the one they used.
    Must be one of the few shots Mercury have of you before you went on your head-------Garbrecht told me he couldn't let you loose in anything -------it always came back in pieces! He told me also he needed you as crew chief, not because you were good-------but he needed someone to yell at when he got stressed (which was quite often).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He asked me reduce speed to a crawl and to put-put past him as close as possible to his boat. I said if that was all they needed from the driver for this project, they should have gotten Jackie Wilson!
    LOL! Sorry Jackie, but that's funny stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Bernard's boat...

5. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll Bernard ya - right between the lookers! That happened 2nd week of April, ice was just off Winnebago, I was lucky some fishermen saw it happen and came over and towed it in upside down - I was just about frozen when they pulled me out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to admit, those photo's are "Jaw Dropping"! Is that a 67 Chevy Impala? my first car! Glad it all ended well Bernie, still would like to find one close to PHX for my 700's. Dick Davis had one running twin 60 Scott's in the 50's, it was a hoot. Doesn't need to go any faster, just run on top..

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I'll Bernard ya - right between the lookers! That happened 2nd week of April, ice was just off Winnebago, I was lucky some fishermen saw it happen and came over and towed it in upside down - I was just about frozen when they pulled me out.
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/JBowman/JBowman.html

A Member in good standing of Dicksmarine, Mesa AZ. "The Land of Misfit Toys"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Bernard .....

How did that happen ..... trip over a wake, "stumble", or ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Bernard, aka Bernard Jr., aka BJ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did that happen ..... trip over a wake, "stumble", or ?
    In Bernie's defense, yes...they stumbled. It was not always due to the pilot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a bit of both - A. It was rough, but in our local bay I could get it going pretty well. B. I came up along the harbor breakwater, right at the end of the breakwater it was rolling 2 footers. C. Didn't back off soon enough, went over the first one, tripped the stern on the second one, drove almost through the third one, opened it up like an alligator. Water came through under the deck and took me and the seat right out the back past the tank (an old Merc round race tank salvaged from Plant 33) and I missed the powerhead also. Came up gasping a bit and there was my boat upside down, powerhead had turned it over, the gas tank is floating but attached to the motor yet by the gas line, and a piece of the deck is floating away, it had a bit of foam in it.
    Funny thing is, I had run into Big George (DoBraff) at the Mercury Plant one day, somehow he knew I had bought the boat from Tinus - his only comment was "ya ever crash it it will open up like a alligator!" I should have listened -
    I did have a Bell Star on and my Gentex - never ran without them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The crash .....

This was a bit of both - A. It was rough, but in our local bay I could get it going pretty well. B. I came up along the harbor breakwater, right at the end of the breakwater it was rolling 2 footers. C. Didn't back off soon enough, went over the first one, tripped the stern on the second one, drove almost through the third one, opened it up like an alligator." ..... I should have listened -
    Reminds me of responses I'd get from our drivers when I'd ask "what happened?" Don't recall one ever saying "I screwed up". It was always some unusual or freaky thing that happened just to them.

Here is the result of some unusual or freaky wind/water occurrence that just happened to take place on Lake Winnebago in the same area that I was using to do some testing .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 031.jpg   Picture 029.jpg  

13. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=willabee;2896511]Reminds me of responses I'd get from our drivers when I'd ask "what happened?" Don't recall one ever saying "I screwed up". It was always some unusual or freaky thing that happened just to them.

Here is the result of some unusual or freaky wind/water occurrence that just happened to take place on Lake Winnebago in the same area that I was using to do some testing .....

That probably won't buff out = where did you guys test, out in Mert's bay?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing .....

.... That probably won't buff out = where did you guys test, out in Mert's bay?
    No, we didn't test out there. During the days of the Checkmates and Shooting Stars, most on the testing was on the river. As stackers and tunnels came into the picture, we moved to the lakes. Mostly in the middle of Butte des Morts, but when the wind was wrong we'd use Winnebago. Generally a mile or two off of the Pioneer., closer if the wind was really bad.

PS: It didn't buff out, but a big fire did make it go away.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milesmasters

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OMC OUTFITS 025.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	357010...[/QUOTE] Hi Willa you mentioned Zonkercraft were copies of Freddy Miles boats how long did they build them for and did they have many varients over the years and were they competitive with the opposition have posted a picture of one of the last full tunnel boats Freddy made in 1972.You spoke about drivers wrecking boats whilst testing just curious to ask how many times you went in nose first and over backwards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post

Name:	OMC OUTFITS 025.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	400.7 KB 
ID:	357010...
    Hi Willa you mentioned Zonkercraft were copies of Freddy Miles boats how long did they build them for and did they have many varients over the years and were they competitive with the opposition have posted a picture of one of the last full tunnel boats Freddy made in 1972.You spoke about drivers wrecking boats whilst testing just curious to ask how many times you went in nose first and over backwards.[/QUOTE]

Here are two pictures of a Zonkercraft that I had back in 1976. It had a lot of rocker in the bottom and was very easy to blow over at speeds above 90 mph. Twice I stood it up on the ass end and it came back down blue side up.

Name:	DSC01926.JPG 
Views:	612 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	357011

Name:	DSC01927.JPG 
Views:	609 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	357012
    Last edited by Bob V; 10-07-2016 at 07:00 PM.

18. Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post
Page 219 of 348 FirstFirst ... 119 169 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 269 319 ... LastLast