Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory maker .....

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Better think about selling it: This one went for $3,050.00! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1985...BWJYId&vxp=mtr And yeah, I know all about lake flies, having lived at Cal Harbor on Winnebago for 20+ years! Had to wrap a towel over my face to walk to the barn!
    Amazing, three grand for an old Bell! Unfortunately, mine is not pristine ..... it has been "wet".

Shifting gears, I mentioned some time ago that my Bride had found some good "old stuff". Some pictures, a couple of race programs, etc. Here is one of the photos. This is the Parker 7 Hour about 1976 (I think). It is showing a pit stop for one of the two Seebold Eagle hulls entered in that race. It's a boat I don't recall any of us ever talking about on S & F.

Like Renato, Billy Seebold decided back then that there was a market for a four seater tunnel and this was what he had come up with.

I wish Mr. Stickle would jump in about now, he probably has a much better recollection of this hull than I do. The dude in the blue hat on the right is Tom, I am the guy in the boat. I remember these new boats just ate batteries and that is probably what we just finished doing, installing a new battery, topping off the fuel ( Stickle has the fuel hose in hand) and now they are making the driver change.

I can't get Tiny Pic to work, so I tried a different method to post this pic - be sure to click on the picture to enlarge. .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker - Seebold Eagle.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	330578
    Last edited by willabee; 10-29-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Eagles .....

I sent emails to Stickle & Seebold asking for some info on these boats, so far, no response.

My wife and I had gone to this race just to watch and to see some of the dudes I used to play with at these events. Ran into Rich Marshall, a long time boat racer out of Oakland. Rich's father was high on the ladder of people you want to know at Caesar's Palace. He was able to provide Caesar's sponsorship for a number of Rich's boats over the years. Somehow, Rich hooked up with Seebold and provided a Caesar's Palace pit crew for these two entries. Rich talked me into being the crew chief or chief refueler or maybe he just said he'd call me Chief if I helped service these rigs. He gave me a Caesar's shirt and "loaned" me one of their Caesar's racing jackets (they were really cool). He said he was sorry they had no extra jackets, but his father, Harold I think, said I could wear his during the race Sunday. Just don't get it dirty or damaged and return it after the event. I think I wore it Saturday night at the Sports Valley restaurant, but kept it safe and far away from the action on Sunday ( I wasn't about to disappoint anyone from Caesar's)!

I think the drivers for these two rigs included Tim Seebold, Ben Robertson, Art Kennedy and maybe Russ Romer. Some of you will know Russ as a good inboard driver who had also co-driven with Rich in the outboards several times.

Here is the second boat, that's me being Chief Refueler and Tom wearing the hat and holding the fuel hose. Remember to click on pic to enlarge (contacted Tiny Pic today to try to sort out problem).

Name:	Seebold Eagle - Parker.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	398.3 KB 
ID:	330635
    Last edited by willabee; 10-29-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Eagles .....

Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I sent emails to Stickle & Seebold asking for some info on these boats, so far, no response.
    Well, I received a couple of emails from Seebold and a call from Stickle, but didn't learn much! Billy referred to these boats as Ski Eagles, said they raced in Mod VP and they were his entry into the 4 seater pleasure tunnel category. He confirmed that Lee Sutter did work for him for a couple of years trying to bring these boats into the marketplace. He added that Dave Goetz was making his maiden voyage into boat racing driving the #225 and thought Ben Robertson was his co-driver. Billy emailed Goetz and asked who drove the other boat with Russ Romer and Goetz said it was Billy Paulk.

Other than that, Billy said he doesn't remember anything else about those boats at Parker. He added that these days, he definitely has a better understanding of what his father, Grandpa Seebold to most folks, meant when he said "getting old ain't for sissy's!

Mr. Stickle's response to my request for info about this race was a tad shorter than Billy's. Tom said "Hell, I don't even remember being there ..... but, that is me in the picture, so I must have been!"

Name:	Parker - Seebold Eagle.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	330709

Imagine for a moment ..... Tom Stickle & Yogi Berra having cocktails and discussing NASA. Wouldn't you just love to be "the fly on the wall" for that conversation.

No, getting old ain't for sissy's!
    Last edited by willabee; 10-30-2015 at 01:25 PM.

4. Likes BK liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mr. Stickle's response to my request for info about this race was a tad shorter than Billy's. Tom said "Hell, I don't even remember being there ..... but, that is me in the picture, so I must have been!"

Imagine for a moment ..... Tom Stickle & Yogi Berra having cocktails and discussing NASA. Wouldn't you just love to be "the fly on the wall" for that conversation.

No, getting old ain't for sissy's!
    "It ain't over till you come to the fork in the road, let's have another drink!"
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Eagles .....

Found a few more pictures from this event!

I didn't remember what year the Eagles ran at Parker, Stickle & Seebold were no help, so I guessed it was 1976. One of the pictures just discovered resolves the date issue. It is not an Eagle, but was pitted a couple of boats away from them. When you look at the lettering on the hull, "1981 Champ", it sure makes you think that this Parker race had to be 1982. The only way it could have been in 1976 was if Michael J. Fox & Christopher Lloyd had been the drivers!

The lettering on Seebold's boat says that he ran this race with Ken Zielinski as co-driver ..... don't recall that name.

Remember I can't do Tiny Pic, so click on the image please.

Name:	Seebold & Zielinski 1982.jpg 
Views:	525 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	330957
    Last edited by willabee; 11-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't someone post a list of the Parker 9 Hour winners?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lettering on Seebold's boat says that he ran this race with Ken Zielinski as co-driver ..... don't recall that name.

This might help: http://corboatracing.com/downloads/h...-race-1981.pdf

If you open the link below and open the book to page 7, there is a picture of Ken Zielinski with Bill Seebold:

http://issuu.com/roycooper/docs/issue_4_complete
    Last edited by Bob V; 11-04-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't someone post a list of the Parker 9 Hour winners?
    Thanks to Ron Hill---

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 11-04-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Eagles .....

Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Thanks to Ron Hill --- 1983 Art Kennedy
    Thanks Gene, that is the last piece to this puzzle!

Now believe the race in question was the 1983 event. I mentioned that Rich Marshall talked me into helping the Caesar's Palace guys in the pits. They were taking care of the two Seebold Eagles. Pitting next to the Eagles was another Seebold entry, this one driven by Art Kennedy & John Mesch. I could be wrong, but the way I remember it now, that boat was running with the leaders and when they did their first refueling stop, it wasn't too good. As it got closer to time for their next stop I offered to have our crew do the refueling. I think those guys had a 3" line and we had a 4" with good head pressure. We had also shortened ours and made the drivers come in closer to shore, we were faster. Their crew accepted our offer and we took care of that boat until the finish.

If you look at the list of winners that Redbird posted, you see Art Kennedy listed for 1983! We must have done good.

Here is Art and his co-driver John Mesch celebrating right after the race. Pretty sure that is Jimmy Kubasta with his back to the camera wearing the Mercury R & D shirt and the boat in the water yet is Seebold.

Name:	Art Kennedy.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	331061

Here is me leaving their pit area after offering congratulations to the winners. The picture also shows that I put that sacred black Caesar's Palace jacket back on after the work was done. I think I was disappointed that they didn't let me keep the darn thing, but they did buy me a drink when we got to Caesar's.

Name:	Bill Welch Congrats.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	331064
    Last edited by willabee; 11-05-2015 at 01:05 PM.

11. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is me leaving their pit area after offering congratulations to the winners. The picture also shows that I put that sacred black Caesar's Palace jacket back on after the work was done. I think I was disappointed that they didn't let me keep the darn thing, but they did buy me a drink when we got to Caesar's.
    Hopefully a better pic--thanks to my tinypic

13. Likes shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lettering on Seebold's boat says that he ran this race with Ken Zielinski as co-driver ..... don't recall that

I think Ken Zielinski was from Wisconsin and raced a Seebold Sport J boat. This was right about the time the XS motors came out
    and everyone was just learning how high you could raise the motors and still get around the course quick. I seem to remember
    his motor was Jacked to Moon!
    Mark N
    "I'ma motorboatin' sonuvabitch!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Eagles .....

Quote Originally Posted by MN4V View Post
    ....I think Ken Zielinski was from Wisconsin and raced a Seebold Sport J boat. This was right about the time the XS motors came out ....Mark N
    Thanks for the info. Bob V posted a couple of links that show Ken with Seebold in Paris in 81 and at Havasu. Must have been a pretty accomplished driver to be teamed with Mr. Bill.

I mentioned earlier that, for some unknown reason, the Eagles caused battery after battery to fail. Here is a pic of the first failure. No one knew why the boat was lacking performance and it looks like everyone that could fit in the damn thing was trying to check something ! It was finally determined to be a battery problem.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battert trouble - Stickle.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	331121

Here is a confirming shot of a less frenzied battery change ..... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill Welch - battery change.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	331122 .....
    Last edited by willabee; 11-06-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seebold Eagles .....

Well, I received a couple of emails from Seebold ... He added that Dave Goetz was making his maiden voyage into boat racing driving the #225 and thought Ben Robertson was his co-driver.......
    No question that Ben Robertson was a co-driver in the #225 Eagle. Here he is ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ben Robertson & Bill Welch.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	331320 ... getting ready for a driver change .....
    and shaking hands with Kennedy after the race. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kennedy & Robertson.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	331321

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=willabee;2805969]Thanks Gene, that is the last piece to this puzzle!

Here is Art and his co-driver John Mesch celebrating right after the race. Pretty sure that is Jimmy Kubasta with his back to the camera wearing the Mercury R & D shirt and the boat in the water yet is Seebold.

Name:	Art Kennedy.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	331061

]

Looks like Fred Hauenstein to the right in this picture
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A unique decal from Cesare Scotti.
    Mark N
    "I'ma motorboatin' sonuvabitch!"

Page 216 of 348 FirstFirst ... 116 166 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 266 316 ... LastLast