Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk,
    Those pontoons are built here in Ohio, about 2 hours from where I live and not far from Instigator. They are SUPER nice boats and I've yet to hear any complaints about them. They are new to the business though. They really got that westcoast style to them.
    Mirage Jaguar RiverRacer
    Polaris PRO785
    Bennington 255LCC

Scream & Fly Flying Machine of the Month:
    September 2005

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...ild&highlight=

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the one with the Mod-VP type bottom.

335lb. Vector, 750lb. Ventura II
    Hydrostream Addict Hot Evinrude 200 crossflow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I bought my first one this year because living on a relatively small (26 thousand acre and 25 miles long) lake that's high traffic on weekends, I was tired of pounding my other stuff to pieces and gettin' my brains beat out in the process. They're nice to pile a bunch of people on and go and really enjoy being on the lake, instead of just going from point A to B as we're bad about doing in a boat.

I wouldn't ever be happy with JUST a pontoon as the primary boat though, and if it's what you're seriously considering, I think you'll get tired of it in time. Even the more developed pontoon designs (which I don't see any indication of on the link you posted) with higher horsepowers make trips down the lake a pretty big commitment to time, which can be inconvenient at times. Some of the older people around here use em as primary, but I ain't ready to make the change full time yet. (and hopefully never will be)

All that having been said, I think you ought to look around at some other brands before you make your decision. I bought a Harris (FloteBote is their trademark) after looking at everything available locally. The only thing I DON'T like about mine is the power selection (150 Yamaha 4 stroke) The boat is rated for 200 and I wish it had more power, although the Yam has excellent manners and is EXTREMELY quiet. One other thing I like about the Harris is that it, as well as several other brands have lifting strakes made under the pontoons which SIGNIFICANTLY increases speed. Mine will run low 40's on the speedo. (haven't GPS'd it) Harris got in bed with Merc this year and they'll be pre riggin' with Verados for 06 and I may be looking for a trade, especially if I can figure out how to get somebody to hang a 275 on one. I'm actually very well satisfied with the Yamaha so far, and have been pretty happy with the decision to try another brand given my pissed off'd ness with Merc about some of their policies, not the least of which is price gouging on parts.

Back to the question on the evolution. It's hard to have a strong opinion on a boat just based on pictures, but on the surface it kinda seems like almost obsolete layout and pontoon design coupled with revolutionary graphics and exterior side design. Again, only going from pictures, some of the floor plans on the upper line competitors are much more to my liking, and I don't think I'd buy one without lifting strakes on the pontoons. It's almost like buying a rounded bottom V these days with so many good Pad V designs on the market.

One other thing................. I think you'll get really tired of a pontoon that doesn't have a super quiet motor on it if your GohrMerc falls in that category. I put a 3.4/300 on an old 26' fiberglass deckboat we have and got sick of it for the same reasons. Pontoons are about stereo/cooler& hangin' and a loud motor will be an instant pain in the ass.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

looks like Wildman at the gereatric center! i saw somebody hit an oyster bar w/aluminum pontoons onetime, made for a slanted outlook on the trip home. another time every body in a party went to the bow to look at something and the weight lifted the prop out of the water. immeadiatly stopping foreward momentum dumping several in the drink. look at some of the west coast stuff out now, "hot boat" site, i belive elimonator and some others have big cat hulls w/502 mercruser power and party decks. i'm w/Raceman on the merc price deal, to the point of dropping out of the o/b scene altogether. fun out.
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I was talking about is the Crest Triple Toon.

335lb. Vector, 750lb. Ventura II
    Hydrostream Addict Hot Evinrude 200 crossflow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was to buy a pontoon considering this is the main boat used on the shallow bay I live on I would go to a tritoon. This basically makes it a tunnel hull and with power is capable of good speeds and the ability for water sports. I sold odysey brand and their tritoon is hard to beat. I have a crest brand tritoon docked next to me at the marina it has a 150 merc and runs around 40mph and is a serious party machine. If you choose this for your main boat a captain hat is necessary for operation Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention that my Harris is a tri toon. One other thing I really like about the Harris is that unlike some of the other brands, they put a 60 gallon tank in the center pontoon, so you never feel the offset weight of the fuel. Some of the other upper lines have the tank in the outer pontoon (even on the tripples) and it's noticeable with 400 lbs of fuel.

Oh yeah.................. screw the captain's hat, but thongs are required for any gals that SHOULD BE wearin' em, and prohibited on anybody that shouldn't.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta have several boats

My pontoon gets used every night between 6:00 and 8:00. The other 4 boats make up the rest of the day.................
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL
    Checkmate boats message forum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the one with the skull and crossbones kicks azz! Reminds me of the Delta float from animal house... Does Dean Wermer live on your lake by any chance???

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raceman

One other thing................. I think you'll get really tired of a pontoon that doesn't have a super quiet motor on it if your GohrMerc falls in that category. I put a 3.4/300 on an old 26' fiberglass deckboat we have and got sick of it for the same reasons. Pontoons are about stereo/cooler& hangin' and a loud motor will be an instant pain in the ass.
    Truer words have never been spoken. I've been running a late 40 Merc 4 cylinder because it was quiet and smooth, well at least I thought it was until driving a buddy's 'toon with a 140 Johnson 4 stroke. The only way to tell if it's running is to look at the tach or to see if water is coming out of the motor. The "quiet and smooth" (and painfully slow Merc) is going the way of a new 4 stroke 90 Johnson. This'll breath some new life in my old Crest and make the 150 mile runs a walk in the park.
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a toon here with an IO and Silent Choice exhaust. You here this thing coming down the river and look up expexting to see some kind of off shore looking thing and instead, a pontoon running about 50. 28 foot boat and the owner's second one and he loves it. I've been thinking about buying one also. I even looked into a company in Canada that sells kits. Get it the way you want it that way.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had 2 come in this year

We serviced and lake tested them. They had 200s on em. Very well made. Roomey and rode the water well. They have several custom configs also. I think A bigger Verado would have been better. Our Harris Tri toon with a 150 Verado compares well. For the 24-28 Evo-200 Verado would be the best choice. Your Gohr motor would do well. I am partial to the 4 strokes on toons.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...pontoon boats...The company that is HEAD & SHOULDERS above it's competitors is...BENNINGTON...A 25' BENNINGTON with the performance plus package & a 225 HP 4-stroke will do 50 mph & is like driving your living room around...AWESOME!!!...Check their continuous JD POWERS rating...They really ARE the best REAL pontoon boat out there...& I'm not saying that just because I/we carry/sell the line...Check em out...
    >> IF YOU'RE GONNA RUN WITH THE PACK...YOU CAN'T PISS LIKE A PUPPY !!!<<

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I could only have ONE boat...

It would be a tri-toon with at least 150 horse. Second choice would be a Hurricane deck in the 23'-26' range with an outboard.

Only reason I put the tri-toon over the deck is because you can leave a toon in the water tied up to the dock, but have to (should!) use a lift for a fiberglass deck..................
    Nothing fast right now
    My URL
    Checkmate boats message forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast