Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rock
    Just as it starts to lift, it drops the nose and starts to plow. Very wet ride.
    Rock
    take that prop to your local prop shop (bench vice) and put some cupping in er!

kevin
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

My first boat was a $ 15.00, 8 ft pram , I put a Hurricane 10 Merc on it followed by a 20 Merc with stacks and a Quickie "A" Merc tower and lower unit ! From there it was Hydro's for a long time ! Now STV and Mirage have taken over !! Good luck !
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theskiffs
    Last weekend we had the annual bath tub races at Pitt Lake Vancouver B.C. most of the tubs were 9.9's and running around 30 but one hade a light girl 80lbs and gps speed of 45. We had 9 tubs 3 sank due to run out of gas, engine problem other mech. problems.I finished 4th and was half full of water on my way in. these boats don't float with a person in them and mine doesn't float by it's self it rolls fill's up and bob's with 3 inches .But lot's of fun.
    I got to see pictures of that. You mean regular cast iron bathtubs? Like the ones with legs, or the ones built into the wall?

I was freaked driving that thing at 27, I can't imagine the bathtub at 45, that girl has more balls than me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinghy

We've got a 7'7" Landau jon boat that we've so far only run 1-2 hp motors on. It's rated for 3 hp. I keep wanting to put my 1958 10 hp Evinrude on it and come out of the hole with it, just once. I don't think I'd want to try top end except maybe on glass. It only weighs something like 65 lbs and is not stable at all. In fact it is built so crappy that I'm almost afraid it would twist apart, and I'd hate to lose the boat because it fits right into the back of my Tacoma to take to carry-in fishing lakes. Probably wouldn't be any faster than my 14' Spectrum rowboat (GPS 23 mph with the 10 hp) because there isn't enough bottom to support the weight of the driver and motor on the back. Most 12' aluminum boats aren't as fast as the 14 footers for this reason.

Wildest ride I ever took in an aluminum boat was with a Merc Lightning on a 1960 Alumacraft 14'. The boat they sold a million copies of with the rounded chines and 47" beam. It was rated for 10 hp, but not 10 MERC horsepower. That was downright dangerous. Especially since it didn't have a twist-grip throttle.
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say don't do it, unless you are prepared to lose the boat possibly.
    I don't know what brand my boat is, but as you can see in the video, it is not much thicker than 1-2 layers of glass. The rear bench acts like a knee brace, but the transom still cracked. I had to sit on the floor, to get the balance right, and the pressure of my 200# frame against the waves, made the gel coat on the bottom crack.

And yes the most scariest part of the ride, was #1 launching, which I should've video's, I think the boat pointed towards the sky, and reaching back to increase the throttle. I had to shift my weight back, which made the boat porpose, and take my eyes off where I was going to grab the throttle, then the increase would torque steer the already twitchy boat, and I was looking backwards, it was so much fun

For the first 6 passes, I was to afraid to go full throttle, lol The video isn't really telling enough, I should have done an onboard, lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got a 10ft hi laker that we threw a 18 on.... fun everyone else at our lake place is to scared to take it out because the nose goes strait up when ur startin out.
    scarry part was when i had the motor clamped to the transom and the lock on but i guess it wasnt clamped tight enough because it almost came off when i went off a little wave
    drive it like you stole it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok as some may have read on another post I bought a new tunnel with a 300 merc on it...

The truth of it is I did!!! It's a 10' Cub Cougar and wieghs about 150 lbs, I also found a 300 merc to put on it. But if you think about it a 300 merc was nothing more than a 30 Hp from 1960.. old school 4 banger ( I think someone raced it back in the day because the mid has been worked and the carb has been cleaned up in the throat. It also has a Quick Silver brass prop on it and the water pick up is in the middle of the mid??)

So far I ran the thing on once and ran a 41 mph on GPS Spinning a 12" pitch and yea the thing shot straight up when I took off.. Keep in mind I was putting this together for the kids??? Once it got going it ran prety flat but was very twichy and you have to let up to corner. But the upper and lower crank bearing sh*t out after the second pass. I have since tore the motor down honed the holes and reringed it with all new bearings, rebuilt both carbs, and found a 11 spine 13" Quick Silver prop and a small planing plate.

Gambling is Illegal, But would anyone want to guess a new mph on this thing, Keeping in mind if I get hurt in it, all bets are off and any money collected can be sent directly to Alice Peckday Hosp.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    I'd slam my d*** in a car door before I'd comment on this thread.
    This almost beats cheesey!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw 33 mph on a Waco 12 x 32" Jon

Using a 15 horse Johnson 1956 seahorse.

It did almost 5 mph on the TROLLING MOTOR !

You could not turn the boat sharply because the curl coming off the transom was higher than the sides of the boat.

I was going to make a jack out of something and try and get the motor higher, but sold the boat since it was brand new that year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just aquired an aluminum rowboat, and old one. I am going to re-inforce the transom, and play with the height of the motor, and see what I can get out of it. Video to come in a few weeks or so.

I am also working on getting a better quality video of the first post, taking up less space. Just got my firewire cable. USB capture sucks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bath tubs?

Antslake the tubs are a old cast iron tub used for the mold . Glass it up pop it out and take any part of a hull and pop a layup off the bottom and glass it to you tub mount a transon on and away you go.I'll try and get some pic's from someone I don't have any yet because I was in the tub and have bin out of town since.Great fun when you get a bunch together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottom

I forgot to mention the bottom is off any boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds nutz! :P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damester

I have a 10ft Bombard with a 4 stroke, 15 horse Johnson.
    Used the GPS once and got it up to 25 mph, not full throttle.

Art
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pattagansett.jpg  
    18S Skater,05 280 Offshore
    10' Bombard,04 15 HP Johnson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    playin with little boats is fun. My buddy had a mark 20 and we put it on my 12' aluminum rowboat that was a v-hull. that thing moved. It didn't hurt the hull or anything which was nice. Lot's of fun though.
    17' Sutphen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2