Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Southside lift bars

Any of you guys run Southsides on a Mustang? I got some from my brother for the Fairmont and the previous owner cut off those little tabs on the drop brackets. I put it all together and I guess I'll put it on the drive on rack at work and check the pinion angle then spot weld the brackets to the rear end. I can't really adjust the pinion angle because I have non-adjustable Southside uppers. Have any of you guys run this setup and what worked for you? Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother had some on a 1994 Mustang... It had 3.55 gears and Drag Radials with some bolt-on engine mods... The car launched harder befoer the the Southsides when it was stock... The bars wouldn't let the rear of the car squat, the nose would come up but the rear would almost not not sink at all... He got more tire spin and the occasional but not rare wheel hop, which cost him over a tenth in 60 foot times...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He must have not had enough motor for them. There is a car at the track here locally that runs 8.10-8.20 in the 1/4 with a 351w and 325/50-15 drag radials. Oh well, just thought someone might have some input on it.Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ran them on a 70 maverick with a 351w and nitrous.I used to cut 1.55 60 foots all the time on m&h street tires.THEY MAKE EM HOOK!!!!!
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MERC1k

My brother and I both knew that more power would have helped, but I didn't know what kind of HP you were dealing with... In stock suspention trim, my brother would drop the clutch at a hair over 4000 rpms with a mid to high 1.7's 60', after the Southsides it went to almost a 1.9 and the necessary removal of the quad shock made for a less than velvety first gear with an occasional wheel hop while powershifting second... Good luck, and more power solves a lot of nagging problems...
    Kevin Kiser

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to mention that ssm bars tear up the torque boxes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chummy
    not to mention that ssm bars tear up the torque boxes
    any kind of traction tears those cheesy torque boxes up. Brace and weld those suckers up now before you starting getting power to the ground
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cars shouldn't "squat" when leaving. If they are "squatting" it means that the rear tires are being pulled up instead of being pushed down into the pavement. Install the bars and have your buddy video tape the car leaving. It should actually have about 3" of rise at the rear end. Adjust as needed. Also when you take the front end to be aligned, do it with the front end raised 1" from normal ride height. If you are making any kind of power, the car will carry the front end down the track. Pinion angle should be 5*-7* nose down.
    I ran Ssm adujstable bars with the stock leaf springs on my BB Duster. They work. When I went to S/S springs (I broke the stock) I no longer needed the bars but varied the pinion angle till I got it to leave right. I would pull 1.50/60' all day long w/ a hydraulic motor.9" MT's.
    Trust me, if your car is "squatting" you are losing time. If the 60's fell off with the installation of the bars, it may actually be planting them too hard and causing the wheelhop.
    Go see you Mopar buddy and borrow his Direct Connection/MoparPerformance Chassis book. All drag racers should have one of these. They are about $20.
    Last edited by Psyco; 09-05-2005 at 09:04 PM.
    Keep the Faith

Socially Disfuktional

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, thanks for all your replies. I do all the work on my cars, except for welding in the rollcage, which my brother has done to this car and my old car, a '65 Mustang coupe. I work at a Ford dealer in Memphis and have access to all the tools and equipment I need. My '65 had Southsides on leaf springs with an 8'" rear axle. At the drag radial races I went to I was able to get 1.55 60' with 275/50-15 BFG's. Now this four link stuff is new to me. I was planning on putting the engine/trans in when I get it done and driving to the muffler shop and letting them weld the torque boxes. I am hoping for 1.48-1.49 off the trailer. Do any of you guys still have your drag cars?
    Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm a freakin' idiot. Didn't realize that the 'Stang used a 4 link setup. But.....the MP Chassis book goes into detail on setting up a for link properly.
    Keep the Faith

Socially Disfuktional

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the '65 used leaf springs and my "new"" Fairmont is all late model Mustang underneath. My Mustang would jack up on all four corners when it would leave. It looked like the rear end was cocked a little and the front end was shot on that thing. That is part of the reason I sold it. I think this new car I have will leave a lot better. Do you still have a drag car Psyco?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. But.......got the crank,rods,pistons, and heads to build a 426 ci small block tucked away for when I get the time to do anuther one.
    Anybody got a crossram intake for a SB Chizzler?
    Keep the Faith

Socially Disfuktional