Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WATERWINGS
    I may turn Chevy after all these years..................

BUT WHAT WILL MY FRIENDS SAY???
    About time

I really am a Chevy guy (even though I did like the jeep) and probably always will be, when it comes down to it, it is all about the engine, Chevy's rule

Since you are a merc guy, becoming a Chevy guy should be no problem, since both companies make the best motors
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with a jeep cherokee or grand cherokee. My father and I both have grands and we love them. They both have v8's. Mine has 200,000 on it and still running strong. The only problem is the fuel mileage ain't to hot. The cherokee's are almost bulletproof like pyro said. Great motors and great trans's. Stay away from a stick cherokee though I heard those trans's aren't to hot. Fords are good trucks the 4.6 and the 5.4 are good motors. The catching on fire problem isn't to big of a deal if you went to the dealer. They should have parts out for it now. When the recall first came out all dealers could do was unplug the cruise control and zip tie it off to the side. They should have parts for it now.
    17' Sutphen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing beats a Toyota!

my truck is a 92 toyota ext cab V6. It presently has 237,000 miles on it and purrs like its brand new. The only thing i have ever done to it is the 60,000 mile tuneups that consist of a new water pump and timing belt. I have owned a ford and a chevy prior to the toyota and they cant even compete. Not saying that ford or chevy are bad vehicles, they just dont last like toyotas.
    AT IDLE or WOT, there is no in between!!!

14 Hightide, 40 yammi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a surburban Seriously, there all friggin junk these days. Best thing is to find a well maintained, low mileage, original owner car, and take it from there
    89' Hydrostream Vista 200XP
    Delta 3cyl FORCE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scfireman
    . Not saying that ford or chevy are bad vehicles, they just dont last like toyotas.
    when you get 350,000+ miles on that without changing that pain in the ass timing belt, then you can talk about reliability. not saying toyotas are bad, but they will never last like a 350 chevy.

thats 321,662.8 miles... 2 years ago, nothing changed but regular tune up stuff and a waterpump (bad seal), one time. also we had several S-10 trucks that were running awesome at 250K+ miles when they were traded in.

Fyi- I have a nissan frontier now, and it needs a bunch of crap at only 100k.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have several customers with 300K + on their Chevies

One with an '89 Chevy had an engine replaced at 350K and is now well over 500K (that's half a million miles), on a work truck that's used every day in a drywall business. I think it had a trans in there somewhere too, but 500K???? That's tough to beat. the only real problem has been with the paint flaking, which is a problem that most all the manufacturers had during those years. A good strip and re-paint cured that.
    Rickracer

Sunshine Syndicate Member

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

[img]http:/

WASHINGTON N.C.. I TOO HAVE A BOATING PROBLEM
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SCfireman.......

I have always heard good things about Toyota's, but a new timing belt every 60,000 means that you have had to do that 4 times???

I hate to say it, but I may, (for the first time in my life) have a Chevy in my garage in the future.

I have owned two Oldsmobiles, (thats the same motor as a Chevy, isn't it?)(GM)- or is it not the same?
    JOHN MASON
    '83/VECTOR/MERC 200-- SOLD
    '98 Quartershot T-3/ MERC 200

"If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much space"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    WaterWings , I,ve been thinking of replacing my Tahoe . Actauly found Ford I really liked . Monday I fueled up the Chevy at $2.37 and decided I think a need a Civic . I'm just going to leave the Taheo hooked up to the boat all week so it's ready to go , and use the car for my 100 mile comute . Rich Martin 018

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

You guys are missing all the good trucks...

I bought my third Powerstroke super duty Ford last Saturday and could not be happier with the deal.

First off... I have had two before this one and logged over 400,000 miles between the both of them, most of which were towing an enclosed race trailer across country. Only reason I sold them was to buy something else other than a truck.

My latest edition is a 2002 F250 2WD crew cab. I wanted the 2002 model because it features all the updates that the '99-01 models did not come with and it will readily accept all the new '05 front end parts. For less than $1000.00 my 2002 truck will look identical to a $40K priced new 2005 truck!

This particular one was a great deal as I tracked down the original owners to inquire why the truck had such low miles... 50K in four years is almost unheard of in Houston. The owner religiously changed his oil every 3K and the rear seat had never been sat in. For the $24K I paid for it I feel very satisfied.

No gas powered truck will get anywhere CLOSE to 20 mpg around town like this truck does and its still 100% stock. When I upgrade the exhaust, change out the fuel regulator and reprogram the ecu, I'll pick up a few more MPGs if I can keep my foot out of the throttle.

Adding to the fun value... there is nothing like having a full size truck that will yank most Camaros and Mustangs at the stoplights. My Powerstroked Excursion could rip low 13-second quarter mile passes at over 100 mph on any day. All that and still squeak out 20+ mpg on the highway.

Any doubts... check out http://www.dieselinnovations.com

These trucks are SO easy to mod and have an amazing resale value.

Besides... not much else will tow your boats as good as a Ford Super Duty.
    David "Tango" Wilks

Current boats: (Not All Running...LOL)
    18' VT-Rocket Bass Boat: 2.5L 280 Mercury
    21' Eliminator Daytona: Stripped and Possibly For Sale!
    24' Skater: Uncut, Not Rigged and Possibly For Sale!
    30' SeaRay 290 SunSport SLX: twin 3.0L Duramax diesels & Bravo3 drives
    52' Sunseeker Predator twin Volvo-Penta IPS900 diesels

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1997 and newer Jeep Cheroke Sport, Classic or limited.

Simple, easy to work on, cheap parts, last forever.

Dont abuse it and it will last forever. Offroad the crap out of it and it will fall apart quickly.

The 4.0 gets about 20mpg.

I have owned 2 cherokees now.
    Had a 98 classic I bought with 80,000 miles, put 40,000 on it and did 4 oil changes, one break job, and put gas in it. Sold it with 120, no problems with it just didnt need two cars.

I have another 98 cherokee that has 145,000 on it now that I get over 20mpg and drive to work every day. Changed the brakes, the oil, and a serpentine belt. Never had a problem other wise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WATERWINGS
    SCfireman.......

I have always heard good things about Toyota's, but a new timing belt every 60,000 means that you have had to do that 4 times???
    Yeah and its either a 600+ dollar repair or an 8 hour pain in the ass (at least in my mini truck) I had a 92 yota, and it blew the bottom end out at 130,000 miles.....though it was abused I still thought it should have lived longer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3