Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Rbt

From all the research we did, the post cured epoxy is a different type. Usually its the type used for high temperature (400+ degrees F) and it needs cured at 250-300 degrees to reach max strength. The types we are using for laminates do not need post cured, they cure just fine at room temp and will continue to gain strength for several weeks. UV and heat do speed the process but they are not designed for high temp curing like the types you are talking about. Also there are several types of resins and about 1000 types of hardners for epoxy. The Progressive Polymers site has some good info about the different types available. All the testing in the printed info for cured epoxy is typically done after 2 weeks of room temp cure just like you would do when using the epoxy. Also the reaction to epoxy is just like bee sting reactions. A very small percentage of people have strong reactions, some have absolutely none. Some people get a rash and thats about the worst reaction I have ever heard of personally. Also I wear gloves most of the time. The epoxy dust is what can cause problems. You want to be sure to wear a mask when sanding . Actually a mask, gloves , safety glasses, etc should be the norm for any of this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong Steve, I love Epoxy. I just think that the others are just as suitable for repairs. I have used gallons and gallons of West and the same with MAS ( my preferance of the 2 ) and loved them. I do fell that the vinyl and poly are easier to use....... but have there own health issues attached ( styrene ). I have never had a reaction to epoxy..... but have seen it. If we can get or local chemist ( liqui-fly ) to chip in here I think he can explain it, like a bee sting it can be serious in some people.
    I am not trying to discourage epoxy, it is an awsome product!, just all the angles need to be looked at. Either is a good option.

RT
    2023 TUFF 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Yep

I agree with you 100% on all points.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I just ordered 2.5 gallons of epoxy. From what everyone has said and what I have read epoxy will be the best way to do the transom on my boat. Me and my father have done fiberglass repairs before and we used polyester and it worked great. But we have never delt with kevlar before. We patched a huge hole in the deck of my Sutphen and a really big hole on the rear corner of it and it has held great for the past four years. Now I am just having trouble with paint. Since it since in the water all season it's starting to bubble under the waterline. But that is this winters project.
    thanks chris
    17' Sutphen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Just be sure

you order slow cure hardner. It works well in cold or warm weather and will not blush as easily , plus you get longer working time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I ordered the slow hardener.
    17' Sutphen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2